Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Looking at TCL and Sanyo 4K 65". Price not all that different Owned other TCL and Sanyo and been happy with both. Anyone have a strong opinion for against either brand?
    Sanyo has been in the TV business longer, and used to for years make TV's for many others (department store brands as an example like Sears or Montgomery Wards etc. in the 70's...) TCL has been a newer force in the TV business (start in China in 1981) and has had pretty good success with their licensing relationship including the Roku streaming built in their TV's. They claim to be the 2nd largest TV manufacturer in the world right now. They also are one of the very few vertically integrated manufacturers- making every component that goes into their TV and not sourcing parts or items from outside their company.

i have a Vizio, one of their "higher end" models from Costco... its picture quality is pretty nice, has HDR and the ps4 pro looks good on it. 4k ski videos are amazing on it. It does have an annoying issue where it randomly turns off or freezes i'd say 4-5 times a week... i have a 5 year warranty on it but i've basically just been too lazy to bring it back but i will at some point when i can get an upgrade for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    One reason is the center pedestal has to be pretty big (wider and depth) and heavier as the TV size increases to be safe and support the larger panels. Very hard to do larger than 37 to 39 inch TV to safely be able to be supported with a center pedestal. After that measured panel size, the 2 feet mounted out a few inches from the end that add maybe 8 or 10 ounces to the weight of the TV makes for shipping savings for one. Many larger TV's end up getting hung via a wall mount anyway also.
    Ok, while that might be the reason for the big TVs, they've done it to ALL TV's, even the smaller ones. And I would argue that they can go larger than you stated. In fact they used to. The mid 40s TV in my living room has a pedestal. It works great. Similar size TV that a roommate got for the common area in my daughter's dorm suite does not. It won't fit on the supplied piece of furniture because the feet on the TV are too far apart. That's fucking annoying. And when I replace my TV I am going to face a similar issue. All so the execs can make a few more Pesos. I haven't looked yet, hopefully since they make wall mounts, somebody is making a generic pedestal mount. #$@&*#%π!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ^^ This. Who uses the stock mounting pedestal/foot/whatever?? I have managed to stub my toe on the stock pedestal for my 65" QLED as it's just sitting on my study floor waiting to be thrown through a window because .... wall mount, so I suppose the AMDA would approve.

Apologies for the diversion; please return to geek-fest.
    I happen to use the pedestal, thank you very much.

All my TVs are JVC special price drops from Costco. They function

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ok, while that might be the reason for the big TVs, they've done it to ALL TV's, even the smaller ones. And I would argue that they can go larger than you stated. In fact they used to. The mid 40s TV in my living room has a pedestal. It works great. Similar size TV that a roommate got for the common area in my daughter's dorm suite does not. It won't fit on the supplied piece of furniture because the feet on the TV are too far apart. That's fucking annoying. And when I replace my TV I am going to face a similar issue. All so the execs can make a few more Pesos. I haven't looked yet, hopefully since they make wall mounts, somebody is making a generic pedestal mount. #$@&*#%π!
    Boils down to money. They're just being cheap. The old bases used to weigh like 10+ lbs, so think of material costs paired with freight costs, and those pedestal bases add up.

I hear ya. I think those old pedestal bases WERE better, but getting a sweet 4K TV for only a couple hundred bucks ain't gonna come without some manufacturing compromises. Since so many people just end up mounting anyway, I think the manufacturers looked at that component as an easy way to help their bottom line out a bit. Especially when you're talking millions of units.

Now on the high end, Sony still makes a few TVs with some cool pedestal bases, but those units don't come cheap. You want a 65" TV for $300 on a Memorial Day sale? Yeah, something's gonna give. Think of it this way, when we were getting those big, beefy bases you like so much as a general rule, we were paying a LOT more per inch of screen size. Costs have come, way, way down for what you get versus 10 years ago. It's actually crazy what you can get for the money these days, so I can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Boils down to money. They're just being cheap. The old bases used to weigh like 10+ lbs, so think of material costs paired with freight costs, and those pedestal bases add up.

I hear ya. I think those old pedestal bases WERE better, but getting a sweet 4K TV for only a couple hundred bucks ain't gonna come without some manufacturing compromises. Since so many people just end up mounting anyway, I think the manufacturers looked at that component as an easy way to help their bottom line out a bit. Especially when you're talking millions of units.

Now on the high end, Sony still makes a few TVs with some cool pedestal bases, but those units don't come cheap. You want a 65" TV for $300 on a Memorial Day sale? Yeah, something's gonna give. Think of it this way, when we were getting those big, beefy bases you like so much as a general rule, we were paying a LOT more per inch of screen size. Costs have come, way, way down for what you get versus 10 years ago. It's actually crazy what you can get for the money these days, so I can't complain.
    I think I paid $185 for the 32" JVC w/the base 3 years ago.

As far as those pennies go, I'd happily pay a few more for a better product, that better meets my application, and starves the executives.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You want a TV with a pedestal, then the best come from the factory. There is are some VESA generic pedestal base mounts or floor TV stands but they are not bottom center mounted like a factory one- bolts and pattern for the mount is different on every TV and computer monitor I have come across. Only thing you can do is get a Vesa mount for the size of TV you have and it may still be wider than pedestal factory mounts as it uses the same screw mounts a wall mount would use. Google Vesa Mount TV stands and click on Images for styles.... They are not as safe from tipping over most of the time for some of the designs you will encounter.

What burns me about this is that I am not talking about huge TVs. I get the issue for the monster sized panels. I am talking about the smaller ones. I need to let this go.

I have a 70" LED Samsung from a couple years ago, which has a center pedestal. It's kinda wobbly on the mount, but I needed a center pedestal to fit a large TV on an existing AV case, and didn't want to wall mount. Most TVs that size and up have the little legs at each end of the set, but those wouldn't fit on the case I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have a 70" LED Samsung from a couple years ago, which has a center pedestal. It's kinda wobbly on the mount, but I needed a center pedestal to fit a large TV on an existing AV case, and didn't want to wall mount. Most TVs that size and up have the little legs at each end of the set, but those wouldn't fit on the case I have.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    i have a Vizio, one of their "higher end" models from Costco... its picture quality is pretty nice, has HDR and the ps4 pro looks good on it. 4k ski videos are amazing on it. It does have an annoying issue where it randomly turns off or freezes i'd say 4-5 times a week... i have a 5 year warranty on it but i've basically just been too lazy to bring it back but i will at some point when i can get an upgrade for it as well.
    DirectTV? We dumped DTV because the DVR sucked and froze frequently. AT&T also changed the GUA shortly after purchasing DTV and that's when the issues started.

Our living room Samsung is now up to about 6 tiny vertical lines. seems like every week or so another one shows up. Time to start looking at a replacement, 60-65 inch range. One benefit of getting old, failing eyesight makes the $400 TV look just as good as the $1400 TV. All I really look for is the right number of HDMI jacks and RCA audio out for my ancient but banging JVC 7.1 home theater system.... But will get Roku ready to reduce the need for one HDMI. Already got a LAN cable from the router ready for the next TV, Got one of those 50" TCLs in the bedroom. WiFi streaming is OK but thinking a LAN direct cat 5 would stream even better.
    How old is the Samsung? Our was 9 years old and had a vertical line every inch, 7 series

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Maybe 20 years ago, not any more they're not. Try checking one out, read some reviews. IMO, Samsung has gotten cheap, unless you go QLED

And Benny, 720, lmfao. It's mostly 1080 if you pay for the HD. Plus the good TV's upscale
    I just did some checking, and those cheap fucks are downgrading our HD now, Comcast started in 2017 or 2018, to 720 or 1080i instead of 1080p, those assholes

People still pay for cable TV?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    People still pay for cable TV?
    i will give cable one thing: consistent picture without cutting out due to bandwidth

we don't pay as much as we used to, but fuck if i don't get the equivalent of a spinning rainbow at inopportune times during a game; or the worst: the game goes to overtime and rolls over the next programmed show, but the app brain farts and then can't find the channel again because it can't find the programmed show (that's not actually on cuz overtime)

DirectTV? We dumped DTV because the DVR sucked and froze frequently. AT&T also changed the GUA shortly after purchasing DTV and that's when the issues started.
    Nope, Shaw (i'm in Canada). It's apparently a common issue with this Vizio model and it looks like i have one of the one's affected. I've heard they may attempt to repair it or might just give you a new one (a new model) so that is my hope... can't go wrong with a 5 year Costco warranty tho

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    <snip> during a game; or the worst: the game goes to overtime and rolls over the next programmed show, but the app brain farts and then can't find the channel again because it can't find the programmed show (that's not actually on cuz overtime)
    Ahhh... sports shit. Carry on.

How old is the Samsung? Our was 9 years old and had a vertical line every inch, 7 series
    The Samsung is probably about 5 years old. At first I thought it was caused by me pumping stuff against it. But, that really only correlated to the first line that appeared. The additional lines popping up are not anywhere near where it sometimes gets bumped in to..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

At first I thought it was caused by me pumping stuff against it.
    That'd probably just wipe off with a damp cloth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I miss being able to shoot nerf darts at the TV. CRT was good for that. I might have to go get a piece of plexiglass for the LR TV if impeachment heats up anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You must work fer da tex supports!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Thanks for the beta

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Just nobody bust out a black light.