Thread: BD Helio 200 vs

BD Helio 200 vs

Originally, I was in the market for the Dynafit Super Light 2.0. Or should I be looking at the Speed Radical vs the 200? What about options from Plum?

Coming from a Radical ST 2.0 on a Down yw8 102. These new clamps will be mounted on a pair of Down LowDown 90s. Driven by Dynafit TLT 6s/Fischer Travers. 5’7/150 #

Geared towards spring missions, ski mountaineering in the Cascades/Alaska, and hut trips like the Bomber Traverse.

Just to add to the confusion, the Kreutzspitze GT at 322g for the pair (https://skimo.co/kreuzspitze-gt-bindings).

It has extra bolt on riser options and multiple adjustment plates (which obviously add weight).

Variable lateral and vertical release - the only binding at this weight apart from the ATK Haute Route/Helio 200 that I'm aware of.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-25-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Anyone have experience with Ski Trab’s Titan Vario or any word on their new Titan Vario 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by aepeak View Post
    Anyone have experience with Ski Trab’s Titan Vario or any word on their new Titan Vario 2.0?
    I've been on the Titan Vario since last year, and it's an excellent touring binding. Toe is a bit finicky at first as you have to open the jaws by pressing the lever to get into them, but you get used to it. Tours excellent, no granny riser, so choose your skintrack wisely. Skis excellent as well. I was on TLT6's with ZeroG 95's, 200lbs, and I can generally ski anything on them, with no discernible difference from Dynafit FT Verticals. Not doing drops or major bumps on them, but great for pretty much everything else, even semi high speed carving.

The new vario 2 is apparently even better, albeit it weighs a bit more. Zero Gap heel means more elastic rotational travel before release. I'm going to get a pair of these for new powder touring skis. I presume its less exact in mounting b/c it has a bit of adjustability built in (vs race bindings which are exact and can't be adjusted at all for different boots).

Oh and brakes only go to 94mm, but leashes are lighter anyway. Pick the guys brains at skimo. they're pretty good about answering stuff

BD Helio 200 vs

I've been on and still run last season's Trab Gara Titan, Plum 150s and ATK Trofeos. I'd rank them like this: Trofeo, Titan, Plum 150. Telemark-pyrenees has some screaming deals on them at times (I got my RV10 Trofeos for $260 shipped).

The plums are just as good to ski on, but the heel flap is harder to lift up (impossible with a pole) and they are a bitch to rotate into/out of flat mode. The trabs and ATKs are super polished, I just like the toe of the ATK better personally. Both ski great as well. Generally any of those 3 ski better than the Radical ST/FT 1.0s or Speed Radicals IMHO (I have not skied any of the heavy or 50/50 stuff though so can't compare there). The RV I take with a grain of salt... I have never popped out of any of the bindings though. So even the Plum's "8" RV I think is more than adequate for a guy your size. I am 5'10" 155lbs. I also ski my Down LD90s with Fischer Carbon Travers, fwiw. I have the Plum 150s on them.

If you get a deal on one of these without an adjustable rear plate, remember you can always get the plates from skimo.co, even if they aren't for the specific brand in question. Kreuzspitze heel plates fit the Plum heels, and the Hagan/BD plates fit Trab/ATK heelpieces. Sometimes cobbling it together this way is cheaper and/or lighter and/or affords more adjustment range than buying the relevant adjustable model.

e: the BD Helios are just rebranded ATKs, the Trofeo is the Helio 145 fwiw
    Last edited by mall walker; 01-24-2020 at 10:47 AM.