Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scarab.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	697.8 KB 
ID:	299245
    What the hell is that thing?
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

I just got a new Ibis Ripley (V.4) and I have to say I can't ride enough. Its faster everywhere, and surprisingly capable for a short travel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    A sexy beast?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Just ordered this for mrsjm2e. Gonna build us a bike!
    Sorry it's technically not 2020, but the frame didn't change ant these colors are siiiiiick.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ancillotti Scarab EVO 29.

Handmade Italian aluminum. You have to go to Italy to get it in person. You ride with them, pick your geometry and measurements, they tune the house built shock for you.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ancillotti Scarab EVO 29.

Handmade Italian aluminum. You have to go to Italy to get it in person. You ride with them, pick your geometry and measurements, they tune the house built shock for you.
    Interesting. What shock and fork?

Interesting. What shock and fork?
    The shock is built by them, custom valved to your weight and style. Can prolly get whatever fork you want? They spec a lot of Magura for their team riders.

Cool company. Father/Son outfit, started in moto then downhill MTB. They sponsor dozens of junior Italian racers.

Course my Firebird still does it for me too.

Name:	IMG_4416.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	784.9 KB 
ID:	299275

New SC Tallboy has me drooling. The slack, short travel, 29, built beefy thing speaks to me...

Interested to see if Evil and Transition update their lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The 2020 Slayer blew me away, but it pretty much is "Bike Park/Big Shuttle Only", IMO. ...
    I just rented one for a day on Gooseberry Mesa, which is basically the opposite of Big Shuttle. Obviously it's great at speed, but I actually found it pretty useful in tight, steppy tech once I accepted that I wasn't going to bank through tight corners with moderate speed. After that I used the length and stability to either get methodical and scope lines at really slow speeds or crush through on a line that worked but needed the suspension. Those both worked well, but trying to go between the two was tough--though I think I could get there with about 3 more days. The thing pedals so well it's tempting to try to make it do anything rough.

But with a little time to dial it in, I feel like an air spring could work well enough to be worth the weight difference, too.

Course my Firebird still does it for me too.

Name:	IMG_4416.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	784.9 KB 
ID:	299275
    Nice bike. I’m on a 27.5 firebird and the 29er is on the short list for next year.

Demoed the new SC Hightower (not quite nimble enough for me) then convinced my wife to buy the new SC Tallboy V4. Seems about perfect for the up, down, and all around riding around here. FWIW I’m on a SC Bronson V2 and am not in a position to replace it anytime soon, but the increased acceleration and terrain gobbling ability of the Tallboy is pretty obvious.

I like where Ibis' head is at with this one. I would love to see more smart build aluminum bikes in a reasonable price range.
    Attachment 299231
    My friend just picked up a new Ripmo AF. That is a good value and a sweet bike.

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    I just got a new Ibis Ripley (V.4) and I have to say I can't ride enough. Its faster everywhere, and surprisingly capable for a short travel bike.
    Yep, once you get the suspension dialed in, the Ripley is a blast to ride. SO playful and fast. I put some beefy tires on mine this week in anticipation of a trip down to St. George, and it's been fun to ride on more rowdy stuff here on the Front Range.

Mongoose 29

Name:  9f14c19972b54f69b73fbe8f208a28ca.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  43.9 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    New SC Tallboy has me drooling. The slack, short travel, 29, built beefy thing speaks to me...

Interested to see if Evil and Transition update their lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Been eyeing the new TB as well to pair with my v2 Bronson instead of just replacing the Bronson, because why not

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post

Forbidden Bike x WeAreOne:
    We Are One has already mentioned in interviews that they're next project is a bike frame. The guys have a tight relationship with Forbidden and are all riding the Druid (130mm high pivot bike), soooooooo, speculation is that the Druid will be handbuilt in Canada by WA1, or an even more likely and exciting scenario...a new Forbidden Enduro bike built/designed by WA1. Anybody I know with the Druid absolutely LOVES this bike.
    This wins. I've never ridden one, but man, the Druid is one damn fine looking bike (I've built at least a dozen on the Fanatik bike builder!), so a WA1 + Forbidden will sure be even betterer!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Mongoose 29

Name:  9f14c19972b54f69b73fbe8f208a28ca.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  43.9 KB
    I'll take mine with a Rocky Factory fork.

(Spied on the street in Hanoi. I take pics of weird shit.)

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    This wins. I've never ridden one, but man, the Druid is one damn fine looking bike (I've built at least a dozen on the Fanatik bike builder!), so a WA1 + Forbidden will sure be even betterer!!!
    I'm still skeptical of the high pivot setup for a trail bike. Idler adds a lot of drag.

Haven't ridden one though. So you could say this is just idle speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I just rented one for a day on Gooseberry Mesa, which is basically the opposite of Big Shuttle. Obviously it's great at speed, but I actually found it pretty useful in tight, steppy tech once I accepted that I wasn't going to bank through tight corners with moderate speed. After that I used the length and stability to either get methodical and scope lines at really slow speeds or crush through on a line that worked but needed the suspension. Those both worked well, but trying to go between the two was tough--though I think I could get there with about 3 more days. The thing pedals so well it's tempting to try to make it do anything rough.

But with a little time to dial it in, I feel like an air spring could work well enough to be worth the weight difference, too.
    This is very useful.
    I was tempted to get one and try it with air, but the frame weighs over 9 pounds, and *most* of our rides involve a few thousand feet of climbing, so I am looking for something lighter. I think I can build up the Instinct with coil for under 30 pounds...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm still skeptical of the high pivot setup for a trail bike. Idler adds a lot of drag.

Me too...and will probably never own one...but people seem to like them a lot.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is very useful.
    I was tempted to get one and try it with air, but the frame weighs over 9 pounds, and *most* of our rides involve a few thousand feet of climbing, so I am looking for something lighter. I think I can build up the Instinct with coil for under 30 pounds...
    I know it's heresy, but I didn't feel like the coil was really the Slayer's key to greatness. I only got it up to speed a couple times, but I only made minor adjustments to the rear end and while it didn't seem detrimental (aside from the weight, which I really didn't notice) I felt like if I was going to own one I'd have time to get the same or better from a well-adjusted air spring (apart from the fact that the wheel rate is setup for a coil, obviously). On the other hand, it speaks to how well dialed the anti-squat is on that bike that it needs no stiction to hide pedal-induced bounce.

If the next Instinct BC was an air-shock optimized version of the Slayer (and shed a couple pounds) my wallet might be in some jeopardy. I kind of expect them to compromise the super long "in the bike" feel a bit, given the current Instinct, but IDK...maybe for a trail bike the improvement for mid-speed bouncy stuff would be worth slightly less top end speed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Interestingly this Kavenz? does not use an idler (so I wonder how necessary they actually are for chain wrap?)...although so far my friends tell me they're not bothered by it on the Druid.

Name:  p4pb17902358.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  394.3 KB

Building this makes my pants tight.

Regarding the Ancillotti Evo Scarab above....I built my own in steel this summer. I LOVE the look of their version and had to copy it.

Turns out that I don't LOVE my version of it. Like I love it, but making the shock and linkage and everything work was just too much headache for me.