Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Building this makes my pants tight.

Regarding the Ancillotti Evo Scarab above....I built my own in steel this summer. I LOVE the look of their version and had to copy it.

Turns out that I don't LOVE my version of it. Like I love it, but making the shock and linkage and everything work was just too much headache for me.
    That’s sick, nice work!

Was it just too much headache to build and tune or does it not ride as well as you’d like?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    The new Rocky Mountain Instinct yes will be 2021...which means Crankworx 2020.

Forbidden Bike x WeAreOne:
    We Are One has already mentioned in interviews that they're next project is a bike frame. The guys have a tight relationship with Forbidden and are all riding the Druid (130mm high pivot bike), soooooooo, speculation is that the Druid will be handbuilt in Canada by WA1, or an even more likely and exciting scenario...a new Forbidden Enduro bike built/designed by WA1. Anybody I know with the Druid absolutely LOVES this bike.
    I need to poke Dusty and see if he's got any new tid bits to share. Them building the Druid would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    That’s sick, nice work!

Was it just too much headache to build and tune or does it not ride as well as you’d like?
    A ton of work to build with no real upside. Rides great, it's LOW. To get the leverage curve I wanted I had to hang the link down lower than I'd like, I need to make a new set of links to grain back some clearance and I hacked these ones out of plate with out knowing just how much clearance I had at full bottom out under the bb.

That one is the third fs frame I've built and it was a good learning process and reminder. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. With that said the next one will be a split pivot rear end and the rocker and shock will mount concentric to the seat stay ends, so not single pivot simple.

Just brought the Rimpo AF home...highly recommended.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	689.9 KB 
ID:	299361

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Me too...and will probably never own one...but people seem to like them a lot.
    The reviews I read (NSMB for example) said there's a slightly perceptible amount of drag when you turn the cranks with your hand but they never noticed it on the trail.

A Forbidden/WAO colab enduro bike sounds very interesting. I have (and love) their wheels. I could probably run the Druid just fine on the majority of my riding (I know my Smuggler is capable of doing that, and it's 120/140) but slacker would be feel better for me on really steep stuff, and more travel would be nice for my poorly executed jumps.

A ton of work to build with no real upside. Rides great, it's LOW. To get the leverage curve I wanted I had to hang the link down lower than I'd like, I need to make a new set of links to grain back some clearance and I hacked these ones out of plate with out knowing just how much clearance I had at full bottom out under the bb.

That one is the third fs frame I've built and it was a good learning process and reminder. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. With that said the next one will be a split pivot rear end and the rocker and shock will mount concentric to the seat stay ends, so not single pivot simple.
    So you’ll have a vertically mounted shock?

Keep up the good work, can’t wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Just brought the Rimpo AF home...highly recommended.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Size:	689.9 KB 
ID:	299361
    Digging the reflectorz

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

Also, I’m an idiot. Totally failed to register the “2020” part of the title. Oh well.

Hightower?

I’d like to see a new Switchblade. Longer, lower, slacker.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 10-25-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Claremont Cycle Depot started carrying Revel, I’m going to demo one next week. Rascal 29, they look great in the shop. It’s this vs the new Fuel EX 9.8 for my next trail bike. Which they also have as a demo. Have y’all been on either? Or heard anything about Revel?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG 
Size:	602.9 KB 
ID:	299367
    crab in my shoe mouth

I saw the Revel lineup at NEMBAfest. Nice looking bikes, Dirty Biker of Drunk Cyclist fame is part of the company

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yep, once you get the suspension dialed in, the Ripley is a blast to ride. SO playful and fast. I put some beefy tires on mine this week in anticipation of a trip down to St. George, and it's been fun to ride on more rowdy stuff here on the Front Range.
    I just swapped to some WTB vigilante and trail Boss 2.6 and the bike is on another level now.

Meaning it weighs an extra 3 lbs?

One of my clients has a Vigilante 2.6" on their bike this weekend, and it definitely has me curious to try one out. I'm not sure I'd put a 1200g+ on my Ripley though, it would likely go on the big bike (Canyon Strive).

Def not a 3 lb difference, maybe 250g per tire? The Ripley seems much more like a short travel trail bike and I set it up as such. At 28 lbs it’s not light but it’s not a tank either.

Bottom line: I prefer to run it at full capacity for tough trails over trying to save weight and have it feel a bit anorexic.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Claremont Cycle Depot started carrying Revel, I’m going to demo one next week. Rascal 29, they look great in the shop. It’s this vs the new Fuel EX 9.8 for my next trail bike. Which they also have as a demo. Have y’all been on either? Or heard anything about Revel?
    I rode with a girl on and off for a few days on the AZTR who was on a Revel rascal. She ended up setting a new women's record, so it can't suck to pedal it. She said it is the best, most fun bike she's ever ridden. For me her use of it for bikepacking proves it can work in size small with a seat bag and frame bags. Would have to get them custom made, but right now finding a bike that fits me that can run a seat bag is my unicorn. Worldwide Cyclery in LA is a dealer and has some demo bikes. As soon as LA stops burning I'm going to head up there and take one for a ride.

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I rode with a girl on and off for a few days on the AZTR who was on a Revel rascal. She ended up setting a new women's record, so it can't suck to pedal it. She said it is the best, most fun bike she's ever ridden. For me her use of it for bikepacking proves it can work in size small with a seat bag and frame bags. Would have to get them custom made, but right now finding a bike that fits me that can run a seat bag is my unicorn. Worldwide Cyclery in LA is a dealer and has some demo bikes. As soon as LA stops burning I'm going to head up there and take one for a ride.
    Right on, I’m going to try to get out on a large, tomorrow.

Edit:Just called, I’m set for tomorrow on my favorite network. STABVT, perfect place for this bike.
    Whoop
    Last edited by buttahflake; 10-29-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Well fuckin' done Norco, first with the Optic and now this Sight...numbers are on point, 150 travel, steepening SA AND chainstay length with growing frame size. What kind of monster will the Range be?

Name:	p5pb17906162.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	300193

Shirk, how progressive did you go with the geo on that last build and are you taking a step back with the next one?

Right on, I’m going to try to get out on a large, tomorrow.

Edit:Just called, I’m set for tomorrow on my favorite network. STABVT, perfect place for this bike.
    Whoop
    How'd you like it? Without copy and pasting a novel, my demo is Post #32:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-build...s-1101818.html

Short version: liked it a lot, big fan of CBF. Seemed like a more nimble, less burly SB130. For my riding, prolly a better fit...if I was in more gnarly terrain, I'd prolly lean towards the Yeti. BUT: definitely required 170 cranks.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Huh, didn’t have one pedal strike all day. It was greasy today, couldn’t trust anything and I still had some PR’s. Wet leaves hiding wet rocks and roots, rugged shit.
    Bike pedals better than any full squish I’ve ridden. No bob detected at all. Tight rear end makes it easy to wheelie-drop, fun stuff. Easy bike to ride downhill, stays glued and tracks flawlessly.
    What the fuck is up with 800mm bars? Do y’all like them? I hated them. Made the front wheel feel floppy and slow. We have way too many trees for that width also. I’m gonna try the new Fuel EX 9.8 next week and decide between the two. But I could be very happy with this bike, it’s really well built.

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	300245

Name:	IMG_3829.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	300246
    crab in my shoe mouth

The 2020 Kona Libre is a drool worthy gravel bike.

Name:	IMG_4473.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	300248

Huh, didn’t have one pedal strike all day.
    Yeah, the pedal strike thing is weird. In that mtbr thread, there’s a bunch of people who had issues (like me), there’s a bunch that had zero pedal strikes, and a number that found it about average.

But I really liked it and it’s on my short list of bikes I’d want to pedal around all day.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Shirk, how progressive did you go with the geo on that last build and are you taking a step back with the next one?
    It ended up being slacker and lower than I had planned. So the next one will clean that up. It will be a touch longer in the reach but wheelbase will end up about the same when I bring the ha back to the intended 63.5 (current one is 62.5). The bb needs to come up as it's somewhere around 315mm.

It ended up being slacker and lower than I had planned. So the next one will clean that up. It will be a touch longer in the reach but wheelbase will end up about the same when I bring the ha back to the intended 63.5 (current one is 62.5). The bb needs to come up as it's somewhere around 315mm.
    Oh, so you went ultra-agro? Did you lengthen up the rear as well?

Just to second a few things...
    Norco Optic, Sight
    Several of the Nukeproofs
    Ripmo AF
    Ripley

And also...
    Tallboy
    MOJO HD5
    Sb140 in the shiny flat gray- woah

They all make me go “I think it moved”
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Picked up a 2020 Strive about a month ago. 8 or 9 days of use so far. Love it, except for the fact that I'm in between L and XL and haven't really worked out my fork settings.

Name:	striveside-1-1200x800.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	300305