Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    It snowed 6” today. Fuck.

Damn that thing looks loooooooooong! And slack

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Damn that thing looks loooooooooong! And slack
    It’s long, for sure. The HTA looks slacker from the photo perspective. That’s a 2017 36 I took off a SB5.5, so it’s only 160mm. With the shorter A2C, it’s not as slack as designed.

I’ll replace the fork next year, but that’ll require at least new front wheel, and I’ll probably just rebuild the wheelset. Boost forks were still several weeks out when I built the donor bike in 2016, so I went with the available 100mm spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Speaking of that, my new GG Smash has had me giggling all the way downhill the last few rides... I love this bike.

Attachment 324846

Smash is so 2019

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...aver-2020.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnarv.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	556.9 KB 
ID:	325134
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

How have I never heard of Rodeo Labs????
    https://www.rodeo-labs.com/shop/framesets/td31/

This bike speaks to me:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rodeo.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	326137
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    Yep, but that's WAY more bike than I ever need.... the Smash will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yep, but that's WAY more bike than I ever need.... the Smash will work just fine.
    Well, it’s a cheap (relatively) and easy fix if you change your mind.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Gnarvana Mullet vs Megatrail Mullet? Same bikes? Different bike?
    I think having a 29" wheel on the back of a long travel bike is shitty.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Gnarvana Mullet vs Megatrail Mullet? Same bikes? Different bike?
    I think having a 29" wheel on the back of a long travel bike is shitty.
    Significantly different. Chainstays on the Gnarvana are way longer, it's HTA is a little slacker, and going mullet on that is going to make the BB lower, vs raising it a little on the Megatrail (though you'd probably mitigate some of that by going to the low stack 29er headset cup). Granted, the Gnarvana is a touch higher to start with, but mulleting that is going to result in a longer (wheelbase), lower, slacker bike overall.

I tried mulleting a Smash for a few rides and it worked fine. In general, I'm more of a fan of 27.5" wheels, and it obviously mitigated some of the ass buzzing you get out of a 29er, and made the rear end a little quicker to turn in. The thing that I didn't expect was that I found myself smashing the rear wheel into stuff a lot more at first. I can go back and forth between different bikes and different wheel sizes fine normally, but something about the mixed wheels broke whatever learned training I have to correlate where I put the front wheel and how the rear is going to track in relation. I'd probably re-learn it with some more time but it wasn't intuitive right off the bat.

I'd also really recommend a short offset fork if you're going to do something like that. I'm of the opinion that long offsets feel weirder the slacker the HTA gets, and going mullet slackened it enough that the 51mm offset Pike I have on there really wasn't great. I'd prefer shorter at full 29 too, but it's much less pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I'd also really recommend a short offset fork if you're going to do something like that. I'm of the opinion that long offsets feel weirder the slacker the HTA gets, and going mullet slackened it enough that the 51mm offset Pike I have on there really wasn't great. I'd prefer shorter at full 29 too, but it's much less pronounced.
    My Banshee is built with the parts from my SB5.5, including a 160mm 36 with 51mm offset. The Banshee is 2 degrees slacker (64.5 versus 66.5). The first time I took my hands off the bar I had some serious wheel flop. My first upgrade will be a longer fork with shorter offset.

My GF brought her Ripmo home. It’s sexy:

[QUOTE=evasive_MT;5969239]My Banshee is built with the parts from my SB5.5, including a 160mm 36 with 51mm offset. The Banshee is 2 degrees slacker (64.5 versus 66.5). The first time I took my hands off the bar I had some serious wheel flop. My first upgrade will be a longer fork with shorter offset.

Wheelflop is real. I can't no hands my sentinel at slow speeds even with a low offset fork. Love the way it handles otherwise.

It took me a bit to get the technique- I have to really unweight the front, like I’m riding a unicycle. I rode the 5.5 for literally miles at a time without hands, but I’m not there yet with the Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Wheelflop is real. I can't no hands my sentinel at slow speeds even with a low offset fork. Love the way it handles otherwise.
    Shorter offset forks have more wheel flop.

Less offset = more trail = more flop.

I havent played with the different offset forks yet. Id imagine wheel flop will still happen and be quite noticeable below a 65 degree ha. Obviously the offset can help though. I wonder what the equivalent ha for wheel flop would be between the 2 offsets would be(if tge only changes were ha and offset and everything else was the same). A number would help in decision making. Just looking at current bikes it seems to be roughly 1 degree difference. 65.5 ha was the happy medium for me with a trag offset fork although 65 was ok. Below that it was a struggle climbing steep switchbacks and tech. Steeper seat angle helped accept atleast a degree slacker.
    Ive grown to really like my mullet. It fits me well. I dont have to worry about dragging the twins on the rear wheel, still whips around the corner, and can have a shorter cs. That may not be others requirements. I do like what the 9r front wheel adds. Rolls noticeably faster and eats up the rough. I especially like the steep compressions at the bottom of rock faces or rock rollovers with it. Thats possibly the best thing. The drawbacks are few and/or small. The gg is attractive because i wouldnt mind having the ability to run 29 front and back for longer alpine rides. Most of the time id be in mullet mode and the gg would allow the short cs. Ive adapted to the slightly longer cs on my decoy because the reach is a bit shorter. Id prefer shorter cs and longer reach though, but maybe that will change as i start looking for more climbs. The eebs benefit from a bit longer cs to get up some of the trails/climbs you may have hiked in the past

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Shorter offset forks have more wheel flop.

Less offset = more trail = more flop.
    Despite reading many articles, this is still one of the concepts where I just can’t wrap my head around the geometry and physics, shouldn’t a shorter offset bring the axle closer to under the center of bars and keep more weight on it thus reducing flop? Would also think shorter offset makes it quicker to turn, but I feel like lots of site says shorter offsets make it more stable?

Explain it to me like I’m five
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Despite reading many articles, this is still one of the concepts where I just can’t wrap my head around the geometry and physics, shouldn’t a shorter offset bring the axle closer to under the center of bars and keep more weight on it thus reducing flop? Would also think shorter offset makes it quicker to turn, but I feel like lots of site says shorter offsets make it more stable?

With respect to flop, I think the easiest way to think about it is to think about a super, super slack head angle. Like a motorcycle chopper. And think about chopper forks that have most of their offset at the dropout (it doesn't matter if the offset is at the crowns or dropout, but it's easier to visualize if it's all at the dropout).

If the chopper fork has zero offset, it's super floppy. There's no natural inclination for the wheel to stay upright. But if there's a lot of offset, the fork legs essentially hang below the axle. So the weight of the bike and rider are hanging below the axle, which makes the wheel want to stay upright and not flop. Turning the wheel means the fork legs effectively have to rotate upwards around the axis of the head angle. The steeper the head angle, the easier that is.

Timely discussion on fork offset, been trying to make sense of it with regards to current and future needs. Currently have a new Karate Monkey that 'needs' a 51 and have my eyes on the new Tallboy which takes a 44. Wanted to get a shock for the monkey now and eventually move all the parts over to Tallboy but got hung up on that plan based on the different offsets.

Am I asking for a flop fest by putting a 44 on the Monkey?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Timely discussion on fork offset, been trying to make sense of it with regards to current and future needs. Currently have a new Karate Monkey that 'needs' a 51 and have my eyes on the new Tallboy which takes a 44. Wanted to get a shock for the monkey now and eventually move all the parts over to Tallboy but got hung up on that plan based on the different offsets.

Am I asking for a flop fest by putting a 44 on the Monkey?
    I think you could put either offset on either bike and be fine. There's a noticeable difference, but acting like it's a massive game changer is maybe overstating it. Mostly, the whole offset thing falls into the category of "minor tweaks that are used by the industry to get you to buy more shit."

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post

What toast said

Also, there's nothing that contributes to high speed stability that doesn't also contribute to slow speed weirdness.

Yes shorter offsets help stability but you have to be moving (like really moving, not pedaling uphill) for it to matter.

When toast describes a zero offset fork that just leans the wheel over more than it turns it, that's basically what your back wheel is doing in a hard leaned turn. That's useless going slow and isn't how you turn at those speeds. But at 25mph just leaning is how you turn. That's where the 'stability' comes from. And why it feels worse going slow......it's flopping more than it's pointing in a different direction.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Cool, thanks. Think I'll buy the fork that will work on the Tallboy and monkey around with it until that project comes to life.

I have been riding short offset 29 forks since before the longer offset came out and have preferred the short offset on every bike from xc race steep to slack enduro.

Like G2 from Gary Fisher?

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

Timely explanation on fork offset. I’m on a 44 offset fork currently on a ripmo and confused as to why it seems to climb so well on switchbacks with a slack HA, steep SA and short offset. Just doesn’t seem like it should climb as well as it does. My pea brain is having trouble processing it.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Shock question for those in the know: I have super low miles Fox dpx2 on an Ibis ripmo that feels fine riding, but makes the squishy sucking sound when compressed. Doesn’t seem to do it all the time. I had a dpx on a Bronson a couple years ago that made similar sounds and needed to be rebuilt If you even looked at it. Is this thing in the same boat and a total turd? Rebound seems to still be functional as is compression, is this just the sound it makes with the piggy back? Rebuild? Get another shock? I googled and got answers all over the board. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Those are good units, and I haven't heard of any unusual durability issues. That said, every dpx2 I've had has been pretty quiet. I'd guess yours is trending towards needing a rebuild, but the problem might not be that severe at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Those are good units, and I haven't heard of any unusual durability issues. That said, every dpx2 I've had has been pretty quiet. I'd guess yours is trending towards needing a rebuild, but the problem might not be that severe at the moment.
    Thanks toast,
    Just deleted that post as I thought I was in the ask an expert thread, but you guys had a pretty damn good explanation of fork offset I just noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Like G2 from Gary Fisher?
    G2 was what started longer offsets to make the steering feel lighter. I thought it rode poorly when it came out and have stuck with shorter offsets the whole time. I have a 2015 pike on my hardtail that I bought new with 46mm offset instead of 51mm they have been available the whole time.