Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 230
  1. #176
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,041
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I think some would consider the stays on the Trail Pistol to be super short, relatively. All of GG's bikes are on the shorter end of the spectrum, and are in the range of what I prefer. I wouldn't want to go much shorter unless it was on something goofy like a Stache.
    Yeah - I'm one of those that consider the stays on the TP to be super short. I think they'd be better if they were a good bit longer.

    The bike I actually had in mind when I wrote that was the Yeti 5.5. That bike had plenty of other issues, but in terms of fore-aft balance, I found it to be really good.

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure BTR makes those pole branded hardtails.

    The pinkbike thing is funny. The pole breaks, they offer an explanation, everyone hates them now. The rocky mountain also breaks (and causes an injury), rocky doesn't really offer much of an explanation, and everyone is completely willing to overlook it. The same thing as the pole happened with yetis a few years back ("prototype" test bike broke during test). Everyone seems to have gotten over that by now.

    Not defending pole or rocky (or yeti) since I think all of those failures are kinda bullshit. And I think it's safe to say that pole will be a hassle to deal with, mostly because they're a tiny company in Finland. But buying a hardtail from them doesn't make me anymore nervous than buying a hardtail from any other small foreign company.
    I think it was just driven by the attitude of the owner and a store of built up frustration about the constant "prototype" excuse from a lot of companies. Pole's owner basically went into attack mode before the review was even released accusing Pinkbike of drumming up controversy for clicks and angrily demanding that they retest (despite the huck to flat being done pretty much at the end). Plus people report a lot of issues dealing with issues with Pole in the past, so that adds up.

    I don't totally think that people are overlooking the Slayer breakage. It's mentioned a lot. But compared to Pole, anything short of accusing the magazine of sabotage seems like a step up. I think people are also more likely to trust a brand like Rocky Mountain as there are a lot more Slayers out there and their fabrication methods aren't always changing, so it's a bit easier to judge whether it's a bit of one off bad luck or a systemic problem.

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,041
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I think it was just driven by the attitude of the owner and a store of built up frustration about the constant "prototype" excuse from a lot of companies. Pole's owner basically went into attack mode before the review was even released accusing Pinkbike of drumming up controversy for clicks and angrily demanding that they retest (despite the huck to flat being done pretty much at the end). Plus people report a lot of issues dealing with issues with Pole in the past, so that adds up.

    I don't totally think that people are overlooking the Slayer breakage. It's mentioned a lot. But compared to Pole, anything short of accusing the magazine of sabotage seems like a step up. I think people are also more likely to trust a brand like Rocky Mountain as there are a lot more Slayers out there and their fabrication methods aren't always changing, so it's a bit easier to judge whether it's a bit of one off bad luck or a systemic problem.
    For sure. Leo at Pole is an engineer who is now operating as a public relations manager, and he is unquestionably bad at it. Which doesn't excuse the bike breaking, but it does explain why the response has been kinda terrible. Rocky, of course, has an actual PR department to handle those sort of things.

    That said, I've seen more than one Rocky with chainstay shittiness that either failed or was primed to fail. Yeah, they're a bigger brand that'll back up their bikes. But maybe they would actually benefit from a bit of a change in their fabrication methods.

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,399
    Apparently he's softening a little. I see that, despite his Engineer's Take, he's decided to publish the geo numbers for the Stamina 180.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,041
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Apparently he's softening a little. I see that, despite his Engineer's Take, he's decided to publish the geo numbers for the Stamina 180.
    He's gotta learn to do it like half the other companies out there and just kinda make up geometry numbers based on what he thinks people want to see, regardless of what the actual numbers on the bike are.

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah - I'm one of those that consider the stays on the TP to be super short. I think they'd be better if they were a good bit longer.

    The bike I actually had in mind when I wrote that was the Yeti 5.5. That bike had plenty of other issues, but in terms of fore-aft balance, I found it to be really good.
    The longer stays are the reason I chose the 5.5 over a Riot in 2016. But Iíve never been in love with it.

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,399
    You could always go custom with your LLS hardtail. Starting at $250!

    https://www.marinobike.com/producto/...ail-mtb-frame/
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,944
    Any of you own/owned bikes with adjustable stays?
    I never did.
    Curious how they worked out.
    The closest I ever had was an adjustable rake GT rigid fork...
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,399
    My trail bike has adjustable stays. Gotta crank 'em good and tight (Ti bolts help a lot), but they've been fine.

    Actually, the rockers have been fine. The nds stay has broken...twice...but, that doesn't have anything to do with the rockers.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,205
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You could always go custom with your LLS hardtail. Starting at $250!

    https://www.marinobike.com/producto/...ail-mtb-frame/
    Wow. How is that price possible?

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,944
    Can you tell a big difference between lengths?
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,399
    It's definitely more playful in short mode, and more stable/planted in long, but it's not a massive difference. It's a short bike by design, with a slack STA by current standards, so I notice the biggest difference when climbing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Can you tell a big difference between lengths?
    That's what she said!


    Yes, I'm aware I'm talking about like half an inch in most cases so I'm probably talking out of my ass again.
    OTOH, if you wanna go ski analogy again, I think most of us can feel a half inch change in one or another dimension (that's also what she said).
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    2,472
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Can you tell a big difference between lengths?
    The thing is: most people pick one setting and never move it again. Kinda like bikes with 29 and 27.5 compatibility. 99.62% of the people picked one wheel size...and then were a dick about it.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,600
    I've ridden the Megatower in both short and long position...but I'm 6'2" and ride XL so yes, I preferred the longer position, both going down and up. It just felt more natural for lack of a better term in that position and climbing just had less of a loop out effect and better traction. The SA on the Megatower is not that steep so I think it benefits from the longer chain stay.

    I made the comment on PB about the Rocky Mountain chain stays breaking at the pivot and it had no traction. I thought it was a common occurrence since they switched to the new aesthetic design as the pivot is much thinner and has less thread purchase. That's the reputation around here anyway that the new chain stay design has been breaking frequently.

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    4,684
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You could always go custom with your LLS hardtail. Starting at $250!

    https://www.marinobike.com/producto/...ail-mtb-frame/
    FKNA Awesome!
    I would contribute to a full TR of someone building one of these up! We should start a TGR GoFundMe!
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,435
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    FKNA Awesome!
    I would contribute to a full TR of someone building one of these up! We should start a TGR GoFundMe!
    Holt shit!
    I'd do it, but I already have a steel hardtail.
    I'd donate though. If not parts, then a few bucks.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    North Worst
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Holt shit!
    I'd do it, but I already have a steel hardtail.
    I'd donate though. If not parts, then a few bucks.
    This is a hell of a deal. I wasnít planning on building a hardtail...

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    100
    I love Peru, been there a bunch. Not sure how Iím feeling about a mountain bike frame from there. Even with the cheap frame, not sure I can spec out a complete build vs getting that full kit discount. But if itís legit that price is incredible.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,944
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I've ridden the Megatower in both short and long position...but I'm 6'2" and ride XL so yes, I preferred the longer position, both going down and up. It just felt more natural for lack of a better term in that position and climbing just had less of a loop out effect and better traction. The SA on the Megatower is not that steep so I think it benefits from the longer chain stay.

    I made the comment on PB about the Rocky Mountain chain stays breaking at the pivot and it had no traction. I thought it was a common occurrence since they switched to the new aesthetic design as the pivot is much thinner and has less thread purchase. That's the reputation around here anyway that the new chain stay design has been breaking frequently.
    I haven’t heard of any that have broken there.
    If it was common, there would be pictures everywhere, and multiple threads on MTBR.
    Last edited by rideit; 01-18-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    3,688
    This thread scares me, I'm not looking forward to bike shopping anytime soon. Not sure responsive bikes exist anymore, it's all about stability.

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    I love Peru, been there a bunch. Not sure how Iím feeling about a mountain bike frame from there. Even with the cheap frame, not sure I can spec out a complete build vs getting that full kit discount. But if itís legit that price is incredible.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Nice looking frames. The $110 shipping international shipping makes it $360 minimum.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,069
    ...unless you buy 2 at a time.

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    25,944
    Or even better, go down and pick it up!
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,041
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    This thread scares me, I'm not looking forward to bike shopping anytime soon. Not sure responsive bikes exist anymore, it's all about stability.
    Just buy an extra small.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •