Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

So.... when do the Covid sales start so I can pick up one of these frames?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

So close to buying a lightly used transition Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    So close to buying a lightly used transition Sentinel
    Its a really great bike for certain riders / conditions. You just need to be honest in your evaluation. It's ridiculously stable, and will make up for a lot of shortcomings in chunk and steep. Also, landing jumps (with the caveat that you have to run the largest volume token). It's very comfortable to pedal. The slack front end requires more body engagement than a trail bike. The suspension isn't very progressive, so it's not great with a coil unless you're running something with hydraulic bottom out or a progressive spring. The rear end is very supple and grips very well, but is active under pedaling. You can grind fire roads fine without a climb switch, but it will be active standing unless you run a high amount of LSC. Finally, it's not the lightest (very stout build).

Good info thanks. Spot has a long travel 29er coming soon that will definitely climb better than the sentinel but I like the grey/wine colors of the transition. Heard their paint chips easily though.

I miss my anodized bikes. Paint was great on those. We shouldn't need these clear tape jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Its a really great bike for certain riders / conditions. You just need to be honest in your evaluation. It's ridiculously stable, and will make up for a lot of shortcomings in chunk and steep. Also, landing jumps (with the caveat that you have to run the largest volume token). It's very comfortable to pedal. The slack front end requires more body engagement than a trail bike. The suspension isn't very progressive, so it's not great with a coil unless you're running something with hydraulic bottom out or a progressive spring. The rear end is very supple and grips very well, but is active under pedaling. You can grind fire roads fine without a climb switch, but it will be active standing unless you run a high amount of LSC. Finally, it's not the lightest (very stout build).
    This is all correct. It is can still be fun on mellower trails but it is a beast and you have to push it for the best results.

Heard their paint chips easily though.
    This is true, but it mostly seems to be around the pivots and the inside of the chain & seat stays. Go nuts with protective tape and it'll be ok.

Good info thanks. Spot has a long travel 29er coming soon that will definitely climb better than the sentinel but I like the grey/wine colors of the transition. Heard their paint chips easily though.

I miss my anodized bikes. Paint was great on those. We shouldn't need these clear tape jobs.
    That’s why I went raw with my Banshee.

Raaw Madonna V2 Mini Review

I thought I would throw up a quick review of the new Raaw Madonna for those interested.

The Process
    I ordered the bike the day it became available in January with Raaw claiming the bike would ship by the end of February. The bike actually shipped March 18 and arrived on March 23. Ruben at Raaw did a good job communicating every few weeks with updated info on when the bikes would actually be shipping. Given what's going on in the world and the fact he had to bring the frames back from Taiwan, I was stoked that the bike showed up when it did. Shipping was around $150 and I had to pay $250 in duties when the bike arrived. I feel like this is about what I would have paid in tax had I bought here in the states. The bike came mostly assembled minus the shifter, chain, and cockpit. Of course I also replaced a bunch of perfectly good parts as well.

Build
    I ordered the fox factory build which is all xt drivetrain and brakes, fox 36 grip 2 170, dpx2. I've swapped the following:
    Wheels: DT Swiss EX 511's laced to hope hubs. Running cushcore and dhf/dhr
    Brakes: Magura MT7's with trickstuff pads (best brake set-up evah)
    Cockpit: Renthal fatbar carbon and 40mm stem
    Cranks: Race Face Six C 165's
    Chain guide: 77 designs guide and bash

The Ride
    To be clear, I don't ride very many bikes. I typically buy a bike, ride the shit out of it for 2-3 years, and then move on. I am coming from a 27.5 firebird, so that is my frame of reference. I've got about 5 rides so far, and am starting to really get a better feel for what this bike does. Out of the box, I set the dpx2 to Raaw's recommended settings and the 36 to fox's recommended settings. I've got a shockwiz I use to help with tuning and threw it on the 36 as I know it can take some time to get it right. The back of the back feels really good, so Ruben's recommended is pretty close. The 36 with fox's settings wasn't great so I've been adjusting with each ride and it's feeling good now.

Climbing: I don't have the heart to weigh it, but I'm guessing it's now north of 35 lbs. with cushcore, burly dh wheels, chain guide, etc. But, the thing climbs just fine. The new steep seat angle trend is the real deal. I'm definitely more comfortable on the madonna than I was on the firebird. I'm 5'8" on the medium, and the reach feels comfy. With the suspension open, there isn't much bobbing while seated but it gets a bit bouncy when standing and mashing (horst link). The climb lever get's rid of that while still remaining plush enough to be forgiving over chunk. For me, climbing is just a means to an end and I am happy how efficiently this thing can get you to the top.

Descending: Damn, this thing is a baller going downhill. Once you get it up to speed, the suspension kinematics and bearing shock mounts make this thing plush and somehow still poppy and playful. Or maybe just a perfect blend of both (for me). It's crazy stable but it isn't a sofa and feels very balanced with tons of grip. I was really used to having to move around a lot on my bike and with the madonna, you kinda just plant yourself in the middle of the bike and let er rip. I'm probably most impressed with how well it tracks and grips in junky corners. It's a very comfortable, forgiving, and stable bike on the downs.

Anyway, just a few initial impressions. I was planning on racing the entire CES series this year, and yeah, that's fucked. Hopefully we'll get back to racing at some point this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	324701

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	846.4 KB 
ID:	324702

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	704.1 KB 
ID:	324703

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	828.5 KB 
ID:	324704

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	845.6 KB 
ID:	324705

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	790.5 KB 
ID:	324706
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

I’m on the waitlist for one of those. Not sure when they will actually be available though. The next run is already sold out too.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I’m on the waitlist for one of those. Not sure when they will actually be available though. The next run is already sold out too.
    Sorry you have to wait. Frustrating. It'll be worth it though.

That Madonna looks like a metric buttload of fun.

That's the best bike review I can remember reading in a long time. Bike just went from not being on my radar to being very curious.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Lord, I was damn close to hopping on that Madonna pre-order. Seeing yours all built up makes me regret not pulling the trigger!

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

This might not be at all logical but when I saw that Jordi from Fox had one that kind of sealed the deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    This might not be at all logical but when I saw that Jordi from Fox had one that kind of sealed the deal for me.
    Huh I hadn't seen that. Thought he was a santa cruz guy.

It is just a European Guerrilla Gravity. I don't get it.

Speaking of that, my new GG Smash has had me giggling all the way downhill the last few rides... I love this bike.

Name:	Smash-1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	968.1 KB 
ID:	324846

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Speaking of that, my new GG Smash has had me giggling all the way downhill the last few rides... I love this bike.

Name:	Smash-1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	968.1 KB 
ID:	324846
    Beautiful bike!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Anyone used a cascade components link upgrade? They are coming out with a sentinel one that might be a nice upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Anyone used a cascade components link upgrade? They are coming out with a sentinel one that might be a nice upgrade
    One of my buddies has one for his Bronson. He loves it, took his bike from like ~0% progression to 12%. Looks very well made. I definitely would be getting one for mine if I hadn't already ordered a Ripmo2.

It snowed 6” today. Fuck.

Whoa! New banshee, looks very nice. Raw looks so factory

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    It snowed 6” today. Fuck.

Damn. I think I’ve been outdone. Pedals, hubs, and stickers all match. And a 50 deg head angle to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    Beautiful bike!
    That’s a wicked looking bike! Well done