Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 201
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    North Worst
    Posts
    107
    Thanks for the insight schralp and joe. Your words definitely have me pondering an aggressive hardtail instead of a aggressive 120mm bike as a third to the quiver...

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,932
    To add to what others have said - I like a hardtail for early and late season, when cleaning pivots is a pain in the ass. And sometimes when I'm riding my same old local trails for the bazillionth time, it's fun to pull out the hardtail. Adds a bit of challenge to tech sections that I can otherwise ride in my sleep.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,161
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    Thanks for the insight schralp and joe. Your words definitely have me pondering an aggressive hardtail instead of a aggressive 120mm bike as a third to the quiver...
    Doooooo it! And make it your hand-myself-down parts bike when you upgrade things on the other two bikes
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    What makes you guys excited about the n9? Iím not a hardtail guy and am genuinely curious. looking at the new Norco torrent or some of the chromagís get me way more excited about a gnarly hardtail...
    Personally, Iím not even close to being in the market for a hardtail. That said, Canfield pretty much set the standard for modern geo 29er HT with the N9 and the Yelli Screamy. Absolute landmark bike. Modern-er geo at an outrageous price? FKNA!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    6,020
    I'm most stoked that Canfield is building bikes again and supporting a localish to me brand. But also on a versatile, modern geo, steel hardtail. It'll be a backup bike for me, might dabble in single speed again. Chromag would fit the bill too but the Doctahawk is a bit much for my taste geometry wise. The Norco looks cool but not as cool as the Canfield and it will certainly edge anything not custom in quality.

    The short chainstays and nice reach on the NN are gonna be fun, the medium reach is just 4mm shy of my Firebird29. It should take a beating too. Can't wait to build it up!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,073
    You're going to love that N9. A couple summers ago my frame cracked and I was going to be out of a bike for a while I waited on a warranty replacement from Giant. Some friends happened to have a Salsa El Mariachi in my size they weren't using so they loaned it to me. Now, the El Mar has short CS's but otherwise is a far cry from an "agro geo HT" (71* HTA), and this particular one had a crappy 80(?) mm fork, weak brakes, no dropper, and a kludged parts bin drivetrain. Despite all that, it was a riot to ride. I've wanted a proper all-mountain HT ever since but just haven't been able to make it happen. New N9 with a 150 mm DVO Diamond sounds:


  7. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,161
    Thread drift (not a 2020 bike but new to me as of a month ago) but Iím the topic of rowdy hardtails, this pic shows the rowdiest feature of all on the bars



    Iíve got it set up with a 120/150 Pike DPA. I think at the 120 setting unsagged HTA is roughly around 66 degrees and like 64.5 degrees at 150mm.

    Itís quite fun and pleasant with the kid seat on at 120mm, quite rowdy with kid seat off at 150mm
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Truckee, Ca
    Posts
    291
    Ordered this guy today. Hard to pass up at 4850 freedom coupons. Stoked!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raaw factory.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	310584
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,932
    ^^^ that think looks rad. And yeah, pretty dang good deal.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    9,656
    Looks like it ticks all the boxes. Nice one! That main pivot is massive

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    Ordered this guy today. Hard to pass up at 4850 freedom coupons. Stoked!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raaw factory.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	310584
    Congrats! I literally was coming here to post this. I'm still figuring out where I'm going to be living next year, but if it's the option that would justify a big bike, the Madonna is at the top of my list. How much did they quote you for shipping?

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,583
    Enduro-mtb really likes the Madonna:
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/raaw-madon...t-review-2020/

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Truckee, Ca
    Posts
    291

    2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Congrats! I literally was coming here to post this. I'm still figuring out where I'm going to be living next year, but if it's the option that would justify a big bike, the Madonna is at the top of my list. How much did they quote you for shipping?
    150eur
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    150eur
    Ok that's not terrible. I wonder what will happen in customs.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Truckee, Ca
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Ok that's not terrible. I wonder what will happen in customs.
    Haha me too!
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,631
    Got to try out the Revel Rascal and Revel Rail this weekend.

    The Rascal was a great climber as expected. Quite similar to V4 Ripley. Descending obviously had to pick lines better with short travel. But that is expected, and it would help with more time to dial in suspension.

    I was more impressed by the Rail compared with expectation. The demo route I took was a 3mi climb then back down. This bike climbed great. If I didn't know which bike I was on, I would have assumed it was the Rascal on the climbs. It didn't feel like a longer travel bike til the climbing really got steep, then you could feel it. It trucked over rocky sections like the one below with no issues, while the Rascal got bounced around a little. Descending was ok, suspension was a bit too stiff but that is an easy fix.




  17. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    Haha me too!
    Well good luck!

    Did you get the DPX2?

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Truckee, Ca
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Well good luck!

    Did you get the DPX2?
    Yup. Ruben likes the dpx2 on this bike. If Iím not digging it, Iím getting a storia.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    Yup. Ruben likes the dpx2 on this bike. If I’m not digging it, I’m getting a storia.
    That would probably not suck.

    Is this going to be your everyday bike? One of the potential jobs I'm excited about is in Tahoe (South Lake Tahoe rather than the north though), would you ride this as your principal bike there?

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    546
    Nice. There's so many well thought out details on that bike. And the raw aluminum color is :chefskiss:. I wonder how it pedals (standing, everything pedals well with a seat angle like that).

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Truckee, Ca
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    ...Is this going to be your everyday bike? One of the potential jobs I'm excited about is in Tahoe (South Lake Tahoe rather than the north though), would you ride this as your principal bike there?
    It will be my primary bike. I've been pedaling around a 27.5 firebird for the last three years and this should pedal better. Most of my rides are either shuttles or climbs on fire roads to get to the goods. I'm racing a bunch next summer so I just decided to get the best race bike I can afford and make due on rides where a more sensible trail bike would do better. Given that, my wife is due for a new bike and I selected her based on the fact we can ride the same size frame. So, a 150/130 type bike may appear in my garage in the spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    ...I wonder how it pedals (standing, everything pedals well with a seat angle like that).
    It's got a lot of squish so I would guess it's just ok mashing. I don't really care about "technical" climbing (see above), but it has a steeper seat angle than anything I've ever ridden and reviews have stated it climbs well seated. That's really all that matters to me.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    Given that, my wife is due for a new bike and I selected her based on the fact we can ride the same size frame. So, a 150/130 type bike may appear in my garage in the spring.
    A man of foresight! If only I'd thought to have done the same...though my dating pool would have become pretty limited.

    In any case, I'll be very eager to hear your thoughts once you have the bike!

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,161
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    I selected her based on the fact we can ride the same size frame.
    Hahahha Iím dying of laughter over here! Well done! Does that work for skis also?

    Actually my wife and I can do the same with bikes, albeit with wider bars and raised or longer dropper post for me, but that was far from my thinking when I asked her out years ago! Man if only I could pull that off with skis, I would have so many more widths and shapes that Iíve always wanted!
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Truckee, Ca
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    A man of foresight! If only I'd thought to have done the same...though my dating pool would have become pretty limited.

    In any case, I'll be very eager to hear your thoughts once you have the bike!
    I'll definitely report back. Supposed to ship sometime in February. I've insured it's going to dump here till May.
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Hahahha I’m dying of laughter over here! Well done! Does that work for skis also?

    Actually my wife and I can do the same with bikes, albeit with wider bars and raised or longer dropper post for me, but that was far from my thinking when I asked her out years ago! Man if only I could pull that off with skis, I would have so many more widths and shapes that I’ve always wanted!
    Yeah she doesn't even adjust the seat when she jumps on my bike. I sized up her legs during sex while dating.
    Unfortunately she snowboards so it doesn't work for skis.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    I'll definitely report back. Supposed to ship sometime in February. I've insured it's going to dump here till May.


    Yeah she doesn't even adjust the seat when she jumps on my bike. I sized up her legs during sex while dating.
    Unfortunately she snowboards so it doesn't work for skis.
    I can just imagine Mrs. TAHOEDOWN talking to her friends after the third date: "So things were going well and we moved to the bedroom. We were making out and he reached into his nightstand. I figured he was getting a condom, but he pulled out a tape measure. Measured my inseam. Whatever that meant, his boner was practically throbbing afterwards. Oh well, weird fetish, but a good man is hard to find these days."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •