Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the AM

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    That thing looks mean! Nukeproof is killing it right now.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Oh baby that new Solo looks fun.

My only question is, even with going from EC to ZS headset lower, that’s still a pretty tall head tube. I wonder if they couldn’t get the stiffness they wanted at a shorter length? I’d just love to pull that stack down a wee little bit lower.

I can’t wait to demo it ... That bike could be pretty awesome with a 120/150 dual position fork, if the BB isn’t too low at 120 to be useful on long grinder climbs or flat trail sections.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

This is one of the best bike launch videos ever

https://youtu.be/95gEtoGmYWI

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Yep this bike looks pretty ideal to me...

Coil sprung $4000 model might be A fun play bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    This is one of the best bike launch videos ever

https://youtu.be/95gEtoGmYWI
    This bike launch, and recent trends make me wonder when a brand is going to go all-in and release a full trail-slope bike. This 5010 is so similar to the Bronson on paper, I'm a little surprised they didn't try to differentiate it somehow. And it seems like the hot shit right now is to take a mid travel 27.5 bike, and make it bar spin compatible. If they did a SOLO build that came with the front brake routed through the star nut, rear brake and shifter routed with an extra loop for bar spins, and dropper with a lever on the post, or mounted to a bottle boss I feel like the internet would explode.

Yeah, it's sorta stupid, but also I love how many folks are tricking jumps on trail rides these days.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    ...This 5010 is so similar to the Bronson on paper, I'm a little surprised they didn't try to differentiate it somehow.
    Everyone seems in on the 5010 hypetrain, but I was thinking this.

The 5010 always seemed like the all-day every day 27.5 option. The little brother to the Bronson...the Tallboy to the 27.5 Megatower.

This new one seems super capable (which is nice), but, unless they're gonna juice up the Bronson, it also seems pretty close to what already exists.

Just one man's (a man who thinks they ruined the Tallboy...so not worth the bandwidth used to post it) opinion. <shrug>
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    This bike launch, and recent trends make me wonder when a brand is going to go all-in and release a full trail-slope bike. This 5010 is so similar to the Bronson on paper, I'm a little surprised they didn't try to differentiate it somehow. And it seems like the hot shit right now is to take a mid travel 27.5 bike, and make it bar spin compatible. If they did a SOLO build that came with the front brake routed through the star nut, rear brake and shifter routed with an extra loop for bar spins, and dropper with a lever on the post, or mounted to a bottle boss I feel like the internet would explode.

Yeah, it's sorta stupid, but also I love how many folks are tricking jumps on trail rides these days.
    Bring back the Blur 4x!

Actually, maybe don't. A short travel bike that weighs 35 lbs and has kinda steep geometry is pretty niche-y. And bar spins are scary.

What SC needs to do is release a 130mm lower link VPP mullet - name it the Bullit or Tazmon. (It should be named the Heckler but they already ruined that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

That Meta TR ticks a lot of boxes for me and looks really good too. Do I wait it out on the Madonna wait list and hope to get one of their frames from the September batch or pull the trigger on Commencal? The only thing I don't love about the meta is that they aren't matching the CS lengths with the frame sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Bring back the Blur 4x!

Actually, maybe don't. A short travel bike that weighs 35 lbs and has kinda steep geometry is pretty niche-y. And bar spins are scary.
    Yeah... that. So scary.

The marketing copy is all about how "jibby" it is, that's how they're trying to separate it from the Bronson, "buy this bike and be like a 50:01 rider." IMO the best way to cement that would be to at least offer one build that's set up for that, sort of like a Yeti Lunch Ride.

I miss brands having DS bikes in their lineups, like the old Specialized SX. Sure a few folks are selling slope frames, but they're expensive, and so niche. Meanwhile every trendy YouTube Instagram nerd is dremelling their star nut so they can do bar spins in the parking lot after their "enduro" ride. I'm not saying it's a thing we need, but I do think it's a style of bike that would sell, and a marketing play that would help more normal bikes sell.

I basically have the parts in the garage to build up a 27.5 play bike, just waiting for a deal on a frame.

Rowdy geo with short travel is dreamy. I love bikes like this.

SC changing geo with size is interesting. Are they the first major (US) player to do that?

ETA: I remember the Blur 4X being pretty low/slack for a short-travel bike for the time, no? I wanted one so bad, but didn't have VPP money, so got a Heckler instead. Loved that bike, but always had plans to replace it with a 4X.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    SC changing geo with size is interesting. Are they the first major (US) player to do that?
    Norco use to have different geos for different sizes. They spec'd different rear triangles for different size frames, thus altering the geo throughout the frame sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Norco use to have different geos for different sizes. They spec'd different rear triangles for different size frames, thus altering the geo throughout the frame sizes.
    Edit: do you consider Norco a "major (US) player"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Norco changed the rear center length by moving the bottom bracket location in the front triangle (so the actual rear end was still the same in each size). I wonder if Santa Cruz is doing the same, or if they actually have different molds for their rear ends.

Norco changed the rear center length by moving the bottom bracket location in the front triangle (so the actual rear end was still the same in each size). I wonder if Santa Cruz is doing the same, or if they actually have different molds for their rear ends.
    That's what I'd do. Cheaper and easier, and no real downside as long as you do a decent job tweaking the rest of the front triangle geo to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    That's what I'd do. Cheaper and easier, and no real downside as long as you do a decent job tweaking the rest of the front triangle geo to compensate.
    Yeah - seems easy enough. I'd be curious to see how much tweaking the bottom bracket position messes with the anti-squat numbers (but, of course, I'm far too lazy to pull up the frame design program to actually find out).

Yeah - seems easy enough. I'd be curious to see how much tweaking the bottom bracket position messes with the anti-squat numbers (but, of course, I'm far too lazy to pull up the frame design program to actually find out).
    It shouldn't matter much. If you do it right, the only thing you're changing (very slightly) is the line of action of the chain force in any given gear. The change to that is going to be minuscule over 5-10mm of chainstay length change.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Allegedly, supposedly there’s gonna be a Transition “Spur” dropping soon. 120/120 downcountry. Or it’s a vicious vicious rumor.
    Not a rumor.

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

Craigslist: Ibis Ripmo AF Mountain Bike Large:
    https://rockies.craigslist.org/bik/d...139510748.html

Not mine, just a PSA because it seems like everybody is waiting for stock to arrive.

Anyone have any time on the updated switchblade?

I know this isn’t an ideal bike in a lot of climates... but for climb happy terrain in the Rockies I loved my previous generation switchblade... longest I’ve owned any bike but I sold it this spring.

Ideally looking for something that pedals well but is a little more smooth than the last generation. Ripmo is also on the list.

Yeah, pretty much everyone does it this way, otherwise you are fucking with leverage ratios/kinematics (Forbidden, Norco, SC). Although now that I say that, SC among others also uses the chain stay flip chip so it must not mess with kinematics too much.

Would like to see more information on Atherton Bikes as they use DW6 which sounds like it allows them to customize chain stay length.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Not a rumor.
    Until Instaoffical, PB "first ride," or "add to cart" on Fanatik...it's a rumor in my book!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Rowdy geo with short travel is dreamy. I love bikes like this.

ETA: I remember the Blur 4X being pretty low/slack for a short-travel bike for the time, no? I wanted one so bad, but didn't have VPP money, so got a Heckler instead. Loved that bike, but always had plans to replace it with a 4X.
    I remember lusting after the Blur 4X back then. I think it had a 69 HTA which was very progressive for mid 2000s. Hell, my "progressive" Transition TransAM hardtail from 2013 has a the same HTA.