Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Timely explanation on fork offset. I’m on a 44 offset fork currently on a ripmo and confused as to why it seems to climb so well on switchbacks with a slack HA, steep SA and short offset. Just doesn’t seem like it should climb as well as it does. My pea brain is having trouble processing it.
    I would argue the MAJOR reason for the Ripmo feeling so good while climbing is due to the steeper SA...along with the DW link suspension. With the steeper SA your centre of mass is just simply positioned BETWEEN the wheels more instead of ABOVE the rear (adding chainstay length would have a similar effect, although possibly at the risk of having a more ‘high-centred’ effect at the BB). Obviously offset will help a little due to bringing the front wheel rearward but this effect along with flop is probably marginal and not noticeable. The Yetis feel like this too, and I’m sure the even longer bikes like the Norcos, Poles, etc. with even steeper SAs have some of this feeling as well, although with those last ones WB is being pushed to the limits so starting to see some drawbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I would argue the MAJOR reason for the Ripmo feeling so good while climbing is due to the steeper SA...along with the DW link suspension. With the steeper SA your centre of mass is just simply positioned BETWEEN the wheels more instead of ABOVE the rear (adding chainstay length would have a similar effect, although possibly at the risk of having a more ‘high-centred’ effect at the BB). Obviously offset will help a little due to bringing the front wheel rearward but this effect along with flop is probably marginal and not noticeable. The Yetis feel like this too, and I’m sure the even longer bikes like the Norcos, Poles, etc. with even steeper SAs have some of this feeling as well, although with those last ones WB is being pushed to the limits so starting to see some drawbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes sense. I’m definitely sold on the steep SA. I’d have a hard time buying a bike with under 76 deg now. So comfortable, no more shoving the nose of my saddle up my ass on steep climbs, yeah!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Ripmo also just has a good pedal platform. I rode one back to back with my Sentinel. Both have similarly steep seat angles (~76-77 range), similar travel (145 vs. 140), same fork length (160), and decently slack head angles (65 vs 64). But while my Sentinel is pretty active when pedaling standing up, the Ripmo felt like the climb switch was on (I double checked, it wasn't). We don't have much chunk here, but for the normal brake bumps and roots, the suspension opened up just fine, so it wasn't just a bunch of LSC. I placed an order for a v2 a day later.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Makes sense. I’m definitely sold on the steep SA. I’d have a hard time buying a bike with under 76 deg now. So comfortable, no more shoving the nose of my saddle up my ass on steep climbs, yeah!!
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It took me a few rides to get comfortable with on my Stumpy ST compared to Pivot 429sl before. I did overfork (130mm Pike) the Pivot for a while, which put ST angle at around 71.51 compared to Stumpy ~75* wow talk about noticeable. Will say wheelies are noticeably easier to initiate on the Pivot.

Revel Rascal 29er on the way! Stoked for the new scoot. Always been a huge fan of Canfield and can't wait to spend time on their latest suspension platform with some carbon goodness. Props to the boys at Over the Edge in Hurricane for pulling it all together

That new reactor 290c Short Travel (130f/125r) from nukeproof has me at half chub, seems perfect candidate if I replace the steel trail hardtail with a short travel FS, that or a titanium hardtail, or a Sherpa TI
    Tall boy, Banshee phantom
    TRANCE ADVANCED,RIPLEY, Smuggler? Hei Hei
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

That Reactor looks pretty dope. I saw the Revel bikes last year at NembaFest, strong effort from a new brand

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    That new reactor 290c Short Travel (130f/125r) from nukeproof has me at half chub, seems perfect candidate if I replace the steel trail hardtail with a short travel FS, that or a titanium hardtail, or a Sherpa TI
    FWIW, the Tallboy and Ripley are two very different feeling bikes, despite the travel similarity. The Ripley is way more of a rocket on the climbs and flats, while the Tallboy feels a lot more plush and not nearly efficient on the climbs. That's my experience at least, after riding the Ripley for months last year and the Tallboy for four days in Pisgah.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FWIW, the Tallboy and Ripley are two very different feeling bikes, despite the travel similarity. The Ripley is way more of a rocket on the climbs and flats, while the Tallboy feels a lot more plush and not nearly efficient on the climbs. That's my experience at least, after riding the Ripley for months last year and the Tallboy for four days in Pisgah.
    Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading as well! Tall boy more mini enduro, ripley more true trail bike
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I was a little shocked by the fact it weighs 28lbs.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I see what you did there.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading as well! Tall boy more mini enduro, ripley more true trail bike
    I was on the fence between those two and went Ripley for this reason. I'm very happy with my choice and haven't really wished for more bike yet: it handles everything I'm willing to ride if I am a little careful with line choice. I think the 35mm rims and Assegai front give it a little more burl as well. It's def a fantastic climber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The days of 25 lb full suspension bikes are over. Xc racing is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    The days of 25 lb full suspension bikes are over. Xc racing is dead.
    Given the way cycling trends ebb and flow I'd say they're just taking a little hiatus.

What bike do you have your eye on next, PD?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have no use for this, but it's not ugly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020_SentinelCarbon_Gallery1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	326718
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I'm definitely digging the looks of the new bikes Transition is putting out.

So I think I got I understood your chopper analogies, but according to what you said, shouldn’t a fork with more offset be more stable and yet harder to turn in (the bike and your weight support the wheel, but it has to come “up and around the axle to create a turn” and short offset less table but easier to turn in? I guess that feels like opposite of how the brands bill the shorter offset

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I think this is the thread that had the mullet talk. Loris and Luca have switched to mullet bikes. Kind of surprised Luca did , him being much longer legged than me, but still kind of understandable. Im giessing their trail bikes are still 9ers

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

It is a few millimeters. It isn't worth a scientific investigation. Same with going from a 150mm to 160mm fork or a flip chip on the rear.

I got "the wife" a new ride. I rode it for the first time this morning and it's going to be a nice compliment to my madonna. Climbs well with the seat slammed forward, poppy, playful, and reasonably stable. It definitely has a limit and you have to be a bit more selective with your line vs. a big bike but that's to be expected. Overall super stoked on it so far.

Name:	reactor.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	327374
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    I got "the wife" a new ride. I rode it for the first time this morning and it's going to be a nice compliment to my madonna. Climbs well with the seat slammed forward, poppy, playful, and reasonably stable. It definitely has a limit and you have to be a bit more selective with your line vs. a big bike but that's to be expected. Overall super stoked on it so far.

Name:	reactor.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	327374
    Am I supposed to just know what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    A reactor of some sort I reckon.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Reactor 290C elite
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

With the Horst link patent expiration, a lot of other companies have started using that suspension design. Are those bikes riding better than Specialized (ie climbing without sagging way into their travel and/or bobbing when pedaling)?

Setting aside my dislike for Spec as a company, I just haven't liked how their bikes pedal. I've been on a series of twin short link type bikes for a long time now (DW, VPP, etc). Just curious...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.