Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    This thread scares me, I'm not looking forward to bike shopping anytime soon. Not sure responsive bikes exist anymore, it's all about stability.
    The used 27.5 market is your oyster. Think Evil Calling.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Go demo a bike. It’s an urban legend that new bikes aren’t responsive. New bikes do everything better than old bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Seriously. My 100/130 bike handles WAY better than my DH/FR bikes from 2005-2010.
    There are a few instances where the triple crown could produce a slack head angle that was preferable, but on *most* local rides, I am faster on the new small bike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    This thread scares me, I'm not looking forward to bike shopping anytime soon. Not sure responsive bikes exist anymore, it's all about stability.
    Responsiveness, in endurbro terms is now called twitchiness.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Evil Chamois hagar. lots of hate around the office for it, but hot damn looks like a fun ass party/play/gravel adventure rig
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Evil Chamois hagar. lots of hate around the office for it, but hot damn looks like a fun ass XC hardtail
    Fixed it for ya.

My thoughts are that they went to make an XC hardtail, but the mold got fucked up, and they were able to tweak the mold and get this, which works.

But yes, basically a hardtail with drop bars. Sat on one today and the geo is hard to wrap your head around. We got a L and M demo, I'll get a ride on one soon.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Hell, there aren't any XC hardtails that are that low and slack.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The Evil looks cool and but why not market it as a "build it any way you want" frame? Besides the low BB, it could be a gravel, XC, trail, bike packing or just a do all adventure rig. Just seems odd they pigeonholed it as an gravel bike when the geo is suited for more applications.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    The Evil looks cool and but why not market it as a "build it any way you want" frame? Besides the low BB, it could be a gravel, XC, trail, bike packing or just a do all adventure rig. Just seems odd they pigeonholed it as an gravel bike when the geo is suited for more applications.
    Cause GravelTM

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Cause GravelTM
    Ahh fuck, you're right.

Seems like it’s the hottest growing market segment right now! My guess mostly because it’s been overlooked for years by manufacturers - despite the fact so many towns have miles of scenic gravel roads ... all I hear about from friends about their newest or next bikes is gravel. I never looked too closely at geo differences between so called gravel grinders vs cross bikes with larger clearance - anyone care to fill me in? My guess is that gravel grinders are more upright and slightly slacker head angles?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Gravel bikes when compared to true cross bikes. Gravel has longer chain stays, lower bottom bracket and slightly slacker. Makes for a more comfortable and less twitchy ride.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Pivot just released their new Switchblade. Holy shit. I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Pivot just released their new Switchblade. Holy shit. I want.
    I would too... if they went back to selling frame only.

I don't get the hype about the Switchblade. OK, so it has DW-link, which I get that some people really like. But a 75.5 STA & 65.5 HTA on a 160 front 29er, in 2020? Not to mention "super boost 157" silliness and pressfit (come on, even Specialized is doing BSA).

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

Yeah, disappointed with the geometry on that one. Looks like a real nice bike but should have geo that matches the Firebird29, except with an even steeper seat tube. Happy to see the more progressive rate out back though. I can make my X2 work on my Firebird but barely. I’m only about 145lbs dry and I’m running six spacers and 15-20 over recommended pressure with a custom tune for more mid-stroke support. Feels great but I don’t know how anyone bigger than me (most guys) makes it work. Wonder if the X2 is an option for the Swithchblade.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I don't get the hype about the Switchblade. OK, so it has DW-link, which I get that some people really like. But a 75.5 STA & 65.5 HTA on a 160 front 29er, in 2020? Not to mention "super boost 157" silliness and pressfit (come on, even Specialized is doing BSA).
    This.

And the old Switchblade had an oddly tall stack height which bothered me. Looks like they haven't changed that on the new one.

It always seems like there's two competing camps in the engineering department at Pivot. There are the guys that want something with modern, progressive geometry. And there are the guys that want bikes that fit like their 1995 Hoo-Koo-E-Koo. The end result often seems to be a kind of weird hodge podge of angles.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Yeah, disappointed with the geometry on that one. Looks like a real nice bike but should have geo that matches the Firebird29, except with an even steeper seat tube. Happy to see the more progressive rate out back though.
    I'm conflicted on the SB. Based on numbers , it looks like a great "all day" trail bike. Nothing too radical, but progressive enough to ride nearly everywhere.

BUT: I know Pivot gets a lot of flack for their prices, but in this case I think they deserve it....b/c it seems like there's a hundred great bikes in this niche....and lots of them cost thousands less. It would be tough to pony up $5500 (for essentially an SLX bike) or $5800 (for a GX) when I can get a Ripmo or Hightower for about $400 cheaper....and then you got your direct-to-consumer brands.

I'm just not seeing any shorts tightening happening with this one...but I might feel differently if LBS gives me 20% off.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Variety is the spice of life. There are aspects of the latest round of LLS that I’m not fully in favor of. Not a Pivot fan, but I’m glad that some companies are staying conservative.

Boost is dumb. SuperBoost actually makes some sense but seems dumb cause Boost came first (sort of).

^^^ Agreed that it's good that not every company is jumping on the super long, super slack bandwagon. Those sort of bikes don't make sense for a lot of people / places.

But Pivot's kinda splitting the difference. Relatively long reach numbers combined with not particularly steep seat tube angles just makes for a stretched out top tube. Climbing is less fun when your back hurts.

Recently plunked down for a new Hightower frame and would’ve considered the new SB if was out.

I dug around for a frame only option but didn’t see anything. Pivot must do just a frame?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post

I dug around for a frame only option but didn’t see anything. Pivot must do just a frame?

Nope.

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

The “release” says frame only will be available later in the year.

If I were to guess: Prolly after first batch of orders are filled, they.ll sell their “module” of frame, bb, and crank. So not “frame only,” but sorta.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I think Pivot's argument is DW-Link stays higher in travel while pedaling, combined with the shock tune, so you don't need a 77-78 STA. Same argument Canyon makes with the Shapeshifter. I like the Firebird and Phoenix, and the Mach 5.5 was ahead of it's time as well, would be curious to ride the new Switchblade but Pivot's pricing is even more insane in Canada.