Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    New Transition Sentinel in the mold of the new Scout that just got released will do it for me.

Although this Scout almost has me ready to go back to little wheels...too bad I have carbon 29er hoops sitting in the gear room, waiting for a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    New Transition Sentinel in the mold of the new Scout that just got released will do it for me.

Although this Scout almost has me ready to go back to little wheels...too bad I have carbon 29er hoops sitting in the gear room, waiting for a bike.
    I am really stoked about that new Scout. The rumor mill says that the updated Sentinel is going to go longer travel too, but I don't know any specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I am really stoked about that new Scout. The rumor mill says that the updated Sentinel is going to go longer travel too, but I don't know any specifics.
    I was literally in a shop, trying to order a 2020 Enduro frame, but the dumbass at the counter was being a jabrone and trying to sell me the old one instead, and claiming there wasn't a new one out yet when a buddy I hadn't seen in two years who just happened to be in town walked up to me and was like "My roommate has been test riding the new Sentinel, it's 150/170 and way cooler."

I have no idea how legit that info is, but it was enough to keep me from dealing with the BS of buying an Enduro.

Give me this aesthetic, features, and geo, with a little more travel than the current one, and I'm a happy camper.

I was literally in a shop, trying to order a 2020 Enduro frame, but the dumbass at the counter was being a jabrone and trying to sell me the old one instead, and claiming there wasn't a new one out yet when a buddy I hadn't seen in two years who just happened to be in town walked up to me and was like "My roommate has been test riding the new Sentinel, it's 150/170 and way cooler."

I have no idea how legit that info is, but it was enough to keep me from dealing with the BS of buying an Enduro.

Give me this aesthetic, features, and geo, with a little more travel than the current one, and I'm a happy camper.
    Good stuff. Nothing like blowing your own sale by being a moron.

But yeah, agreed that a Sentinel with the same changes applied from the Scout (-1° HTA, +1.5-2° STA, more progressive leverage curve, a little more travel, sweet new aesthetics) sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I don't get the hype about the Switchblade. OK, so it has DW-link, which I get that some people really like. But a 75.5 STA & 65.5 HTA on a 160 front 29er, in 2020? Not to mention "super boost 157" silliness and pressfit (come on, even Specialized is doing BSA).
    Chris Cocalis invented press fit BB’s in conjunction with Shimano so I imagine Pivot will be the last hold out on those. Personally I’ve never had a problem with a PF BB.

Super Boost has it's merits and any hub I’d like to run offers one.

This is me, except I have a fork on my current Sentinel I'd reuse also. I was really close to getting a Megatower, but these updates basically address every single quibble I have with my current Sentinel.

I do really hope they make it 150(160 with different shock stroke)/160, for the purely selfish reason that then I won't need a new fork. I have a 2018 36 that can't go any longer than 160mm. I also don't want it to get slacker than 64 HTA stock, because it's already a very long bike that requires a firm hand on tight corners. I don't *need* 170 in the front (or rear for that matter). I guess I could short-fork it (to 160) and address both those concerns.

I don't get the hype about the Switchblade. OK, so it has DW-link, which I get that some people really like. But a 75.5 STA & 65.5 HTA on a 160 front 29er, in 2020? Not to mention "super boost 157" silliness and pressfit (come on, even Specialized is doing BSA).
    B/c if it rides like a short-travel Firebird 29...it will be great. I know everyone wants loooooonnnger, looooowwwwer, slacker, but those dimensions and travel make for an all day, every day bike for anyone in big mountains that isn't wedded to a bike park.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

This is me, except I have a fork on my current Sentinel I'd reuse also. I was really close to getting a Megatower, but these updates basically address every single quibble I have with my current Sentinel.

I do really hope they make it 150(160 with different shock stroke)/160, for the purely selfish reason that then I won't need a new fork. I have a 2018 36 that can't go any longer than 160mm. I also don't want it to get slacker than 64 HTA stock, because it's already a very long bike that requires a firm hand on tight corners. I don't *need* 170 in the front (or rear for that matter). I guess I could short-fork it (to 160) and address both those concerns.
    Yeah... So many questions, I gotta stop speculating haha.

For me, I want something pretty close to a mini DH bike, so 150 or 160/170 sounds awesome. I was really impressed at how playfull and not "big sluggish bike" the 140/160 Sentinel felt, and it would have been an ideal one-bike-to-rule-them-all for me, but I'd rather have an agro hardtail and a mini DH this year I think.

That said, if they do slack it out, you should still be able to run an angleset, if that's your thing.

My guess would be that there's a new Smuggler in the pipeline too, and it would be really nice if they'd release both at the same time. Cause if the new Smuggler can change between 130 and 140 out back, it will probably be perfect for a bunch of previous Sentinel owners like you, and then there's no downside to the Sentinel being more of a brawler. Regardless, there's three feet of snow in my yard right now, it's a long time till I get to play bikes

I was damn closer to ordering a Ripmo. Now I read about the Ripmo 2 which gets the Ripmo AF geometry and a more progressive linkage.
    What you guys think of this?
    Improvement across the board?
    Or making it a bit more downhill oriented that makes it less appealing to an old slow dude like me who still likes climbing as well?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I was damn closer to ordering a Ripmo. Now I read about the Ripmo 2 which gets the Ripmo AF geometry and a more progressive linkage.
    Or making it a bit more downhill oriented that makes it less appealing to an old slow dude like me who still likes climbing as well?
    If it were me, it would depend on if I planned on running a coil. Since I am an old, slow dude, I probably wouldn't. And, in that case, I'd see if I could get a decent discount on V1.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Both Enduro Mag and MTBR have pretty good comparisons between the two versions. Seems like if you want a true trail bike, the V1 may have the edge and is a bit poppier, esp. at slow speeds. Both do like the V2 a lot though.

Wonder if you’ll be able to do any ripmo retrofitting- a la new Rallon linkage which I think Orbea’s customer service finally did good by prior owners, having said that, maybe the v1 will finally be discounted. Always liked a lot about the “OG” ripmo except it’s propensity to blow through travel. This seems like a great fit.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Wonder if you’ll be able to do any ripmo retrofitting- a la new Rallon linkage which I think Orbea’s customer service finally did good by prior owners, having said that, maybe the v1 will finally be discounted. Always liked a lot about the “OG” ripmo except it’s propensity to blow through travel. This seems like a great fit.
    It seems like the increase in progression was achieved by moving the mounting point a bit lower on the downtube rather than just changing the link, so I suspect that it's not a retrofit thing.

I'll be moving this year, so where I end up going determines what I'll want in a new bike, but both the OG Ripmo and the AF seem like good options. I can't see myself going for the carbon given the comparative spec. I really like DVO suspension and was hoping for the new carbon Ripmo to offer it at the base level like they do on the AF, but they don't seem to.

If anyone was considering "mulleting" the new Scout, I drew it up in CAD with a 140mm Fox 36 / 44mm offset. It slackens STA and HTA by 1.1 degrees, shortens reach by 10mm, and lengthens WB by 8mm. It looks OK to me except the 62.9 HTA on a 140mm bike... that's just a little bit too nuts.

I've got the Rimpo AF...I love it.

So, it's home...the only thing I am waiting on is the XTR four pot brakes, and four titanium bolts.

It is pimp.

It's 27.5 without brakes or pedals, so under thirty probably when done with real tires/etc.

Buuuut....I already have my eye on the 2021 Altitude, which will be a 29-er.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, it's home...the only thing I am waiting on is the XTR four pot brakes, and four titanium bolts.

It is pimp.

It's 27.5 without brakes or pedals, so under thirty probably when done with real tires/etc.

Buuuut....I already have my eye on the 2021 Altitude, which will be a 29-er.

Are the Ti bolts for your knee?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

No, they are for my vanity.

Sat on a new Rocky Mountain Growler that definitely made me a little green. At this point in my life, I just want a fun poppy agile hardtail under 2k been wanting a Timberjack, Honzo or something similar. the Rocky with a rootbeer color looked like sexy and bike
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Finally got this thing built. Probably won't get ridden until I head to the desert in a couple weeks though.

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

Damn.

Did you get your dental degree over the winter?

Regardless of how some feel about the company, that is one sexy bike.

WTB tires. Fork doesn't match the frame. 2/10 do not want.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Finally got this thing built. Probably won't get ridden until I head to the desert in a couple weeks though.

Jealous. I really want to demo one of those this year. What size did you get? S3?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Jesus, is that all the snow you guys got on the ground in the Flathead?! Low stuff will be in soon at that rate!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums