Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    The Izzo is interesting, wish they did frame only sales. I love my shimano drivetrains

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    GG Trail Pistol, Spot Mayhem, Norco Optic (haven't ridden, to be fair)... then I'd like to get on the Pivot 429 Trail, Orbea Occam, Evil Following, and the new YT Izzo. The Tallboy just felt dead to me, and didn't handle nearly as well on Pisgah descents as I hoped.
    I prefer the Pivot Trail 429 to the GG Trail Pistol in a head to head match up. Both are great bikes but the Pivot edges out the GG in it's short travel configuration.

I found the Tallboy to ride as its name suggests. Which I used to be fine with, but these days other bikes have me expecting a lower COM feel without giving up pedaling efficiency. I'd be looking at smmokan's list. Yeti's SB130 and SB150 are good rides, too, but I'm still curious what Spot's Mayhem would ride like with 140r/150-160f travel. The engineer responsible for it was running a 160 (IMS) fork on his personal bike and that seems like a very interesting ride even with only 130 out back.

I mention the Yetis because personally I didn't find any real downside to the 150 over the 130 and obviously more is better at times. Another local guy here demoed both for a couple days on our trails last year and bought the 150 for that reason: it's not always needed, but if it pedals and handles the tight/slow stuff as well as a shorter travel version, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Anyone on the 2020 Tallboy? It interests me.
    https://youtu.be/dwvc53At7f0

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I found the Tallboy to ride as its name suggests. Which I used to be fine with, but these days other bikes have me expecting a lower COM feel without giving up pedaling efficiency. I'd be looking at smmokan's list. Yeti's SB130 and SB150 are good rides, too, but I'm still curious what Spot's Mayhem would ride like with 140r/150-160f travel. The engineer responsible for it was running a 160 (IMS) fork on his personal bike and that seems like a very interesting ride even with only 130 out back.
    I have no idea on timing or details, but I heard Spot is releasing a longer travel 29er soon.

Can confirm on long travel 29er from Spot soon. Should have been here by now but Covid19 happened

Someone posted about it in this thread a while ago, didn't they? I had to check their site before posting, because I thought it would be there by now.

Seems a no-brainer since the Mayhem's flexy bit is already going back toward relaxed heading to the 130 mm zone, so 140-150 shouldn't be too big of a deal from that standpoint. I don't get the impression they're inclined to release something before it's ready, though.

Probably me. It will be about a month before landing. I've got all my 29er parts ready. They may be attached to an aluminum test mule right now. 32 lbs of geez I might need to get 12 speed....

I know all you guys need an SB150 or Stamina180, but, known for their commitment to ugliness and proprietary non-sense, Cannondale releases this nice looking bike which seems just about perfect for us folk in the rolley low-lands:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scalpel.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	573.4 KB 
ID:	329209
    https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...ku=c24251m10sm

This or the new Hei Hei...decisions...

EDIT to add: I don't know what's up with that pic <shrug>
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I know all you guys need an SB150 or Stamina180, but, known for their commitment to ugliness and proprietary non-sense, Cannondale releases this nice looking bike which seems just about perfect for us folk in the rolley low-lands:

It's been a bit since I've ridden a lighter weight cannondale, but those things used to be flexy to the point of being kinda terrifying at any kind of speed.

I picked up a 2016 hei hei over the winter to complement my alloy GG smash and I am loving how well it works for our rolling techy terrain. I went with a pike up front (but currently set at 110mm cause that's what I had for a short travel air spring) and a vittoria mezcal / maxxis aspen f/r tire combo so it's squarely in downcounty-curious territory. I was hoping to occasionally race it this year but since everything is cancelled, I'm just enjoying goofing around with it. It demands a very active riding style through the rough, vs my long progression of bikes that allowed more and more plowing/charging. But with that said it is really capable for what it is and has me very curious about the new hei hei and its competitors.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of light and fast, but those flexy carbon stays look scary thin.

I'm thinking of unloading my '18 alloy Smuggler while the used bike market is hot. It's a fine bike, but I almost never felt the desire to ride it over my Sentinel. The Sentinel's getting replaced with a Ripmo 2. I'm sure that would be a fine quiver of one for my trails (steep fast flow trails)... but N+1 beckons. I think another short travel 29er wouldn't feel different in a fun way. Maybe a mid-travel 27.5? Shred Dogg or 2020 Scout would still want to go fast, but handle differently. Are there any other new geo 27.5 bikes like those that I'm missing? SB140 would work, but poor value in comparison to those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I'm thinking of unloading my '18 alloy Smuggler while the used bike market is hot. It's a fine bike, but I almost never felt the desire to ride it over my Sentinel. The Sentinel's getting replaced with a Ripmo 2. I'm sure that would be a fine quiver of one for my trails (steep fast flow trails)... but N+1 beckons. I think another short travel 29er wouldn't feel different in a fun way. Maybe a mid-travel 27.5? Shred Dogg or 2020 Scout would still want to go fast, but handle differently. Are there any other new geo 27.5 bikes like those that I'm missing? SB140 would work, but poor value in comparison to those two.
    I've been kinda having a similar hankering. I like my 29ers, and if I want to get anywhere in a hurry, they're what I'm looking for. But a short-ish travel 27.5 sounds fun for a change of pace. Something slalom-y. Scout or sb140 would be high on my list.

Im in the same indecisive boat. Sold my scout frame last year. Id like a bit more rear travel for an everywhere bike. Bouncing between finding an og patrol(all my parts would fit but im not finding one close), or maybe an older 26" bike with prog geo to mullet(27.5/26) for playing that can go everywhere or do i want a newr 9er all mountain that i could throw a 27.5 on the rear for steep/rowdy trails, in a pinch

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Schwing! '20 Revel Rascal 29er is here at last

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post

Sweet, let’s ride!
    What are your thoughts on those tires?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post

Shorts tight - CHECK!!!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Defintiely! Let's make it happen. Love the rubber - Always been a big fan of Conti from my previous life working for them. Their latest crop is dialed w/ newer casings and rubber compounds. Running the Trail King / Kaiser Projekt in the 2.4 Protection versions....

the
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Sweet, let’s ride!
    What are your thoughts on those tires?

Have I mentioned how much I love my new bike? I fucking love my new bike!
    From today in the Shire

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	329309

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	329310
    crab in my shoe mouth

I thought it was in this thread, but now I can't find it -

What's the aluminum enduro bike recently discussed here / announced, which was something like $3000 with a Lyrik? Available this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Maybe it's the Privateer 161.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Maybe it's the Privateer 161.
    That's the one. Friend is looking for something burly and I wanted to forward it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

One of the cooler bikes that few of us need to be announced this week. Also details of the "because nobody we feel is making a good one bike quiver" bike to be announced soon by WeAreOne...I'm piqued.

99.9% sure it'll be out of my price range but i'll hold off on my bike purchase until the release. Sort of like buying a loto ticket early for the draw. Its extra dream time . I was thinking they're building a longer travel druid

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app