Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    150eur
    I really thought I knew what new bike I was grabbing in the spring and then this came out...so tempting. The frame only, with the Float X2 is like $600 less than what I've been looking at.

Anyone ever ridden a Propain? I've actually never seen one in person. This one is sure nice to look at:
    Name:  propain.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  217.9 KB
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...tyee-2020.html
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Anyone ever ridden a Propain? I've actually never seen one in person. This one is sure nice to look at:
    Name:  propain.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  217.9 KB
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...tyee-2020.html
    They're not available in North America yet, though the company says soon. Some previous generations had kind of weird behind the front triangle shocks, but I love the new Tyee. It seems very competitive with the RAAW above (though a little more all around vs. DH oriented and not as cool). A good week for long travel 29er releases.

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

Close to pulling the trigger on one of these, presale 10% off and custom colors, sale applies to full builds too, which seem to be a pretty bangin’ deal for the price. Anybody got any real word beta on these?

https://polebicycles.com/polestore/p...olor-pre-sale/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2728.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	721.6 KB 
ID:	310868

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    Close to pulling the trigger on one of these, presale 10% off and custom colors, sale applies to full builds too, which seem to be a pretty bangin’ deal for the price. Anybody got any real word beta on these?

Interesting...

Yeah, full builds look like a solid deal.

Some of you guys are geeking out on 29ers with some long ass motherfucking chainstays.
    Am.... am I missing something?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Some of you guys are geeking out on 29ers with some long ass motherfucking chainstays.
    Yes

Maybe how big we are? I don't know about the other guys, but I'm a bit over 6'2" and so am almost always on XL frames. With the length of front ends these days, 445mm chainstays on an XL bike seems pretty good for balance. Though my current 27.5 bike's are 439, so maybe I just missed the super short chainstay generation of bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Maybe how big we are? I don't know about the other guys, but I'm a bit over 6'2" and so am almost always on XL frames. With the length of front ends these days, 445mm chainstays on an XL bike seems pretty good for balance. Though my current 27.5 bike's are 439, so maybe I just missed the super short chainstay generation of bikes.
    If I were doing a lot of rock crawling -style riding in the SW, I’d be more interested in short chainstays. For the wide-open trails we have in MT, they get squirrelly.

I built a Yelli Screamy in 2011 and it was my first bike with a HTA less than 70. It also had 424mm chainstays. The Yelli had a short wheelbase- 1103mm in large, so the whole package was fun, but not very stable at speed. At least not compared to the bikes I’ve enjoyed since. The Yelli quickly taught me to ride the front wheel, because if you didn’t you were definitely going to wash out.

2020 bikes that make your shorts tight

No. Stability is currently king above every other handling characteristic.

BB heights seem to be creeping up a bit, too.

ETA, holistic geo changes definitely make sense as frame size increase, particularly with XL and XXL bikes. As an average sized person, I still like short stays.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I like shorter stays for the insta-wheelie drop factor.
    As evasive says though, more for low speed technical prowess as opposed to balls-out haulin’.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I think it's just about balance with the front ends becoming so long. Read almost any review of the SB150 and you'll see writers talking about how aggressively forward it has to be ridden given its long front end and short chainstays.

My only experience on a long travel 29er is on the previous gen Enduro. It has the same chainstay length as the SB150, but a much shorter front end. It didn't feel unbalanced to me (though now that I think about it, the only time I dropped it was washing out the front end). Still, for a big bike for big terrain, 445mm chainstays on an XL bike seem about right to me. I wouldn't go for stays that long for where I live at the moment, but for some potential relocation spots they seem fine. Or on a second bike to ride park more where I'm moving faster more often.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I think it's just about balance with the front ends becoming so long.
    This.

A well balanced bike that doesn't have super short stays corners sooo much better.

Hoping balanced will be the feel. Enduro review sounds fun: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/pole-taival-hardtail-review/

I line up in the large recommendation on their site but the geometry makes me think I could pull of a medium. We’ll see.

My old N9 is stable around here in Missoula. Could it be more? Yes, it could be longer up front, and have a better fork, and be a full suspension.
    Doesn't feel like I'm going to fall over backwards or flip over forwards tho.
    No longer stuck.

Hoping balanced will be the feel. Enduro review sounds fun: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/pole-taival-hardtail-review/

I line up in the large recommendation on their site but the geometry makes me think I could pull of a medium. We’ll see.

Yeah. I'm a medium by their recommendation, but that thing is huge. I've spent a lot of time on a large guerrilla gravity, which has similar numbers to pole's medium. I felt like it was a bit too big, and I lost some playfulness with it. And especially for a hardtail, I'd rather retain that playfulness - I'm not trying to replace my enduro sled with a hardtail. I'd rather have it be more flickable and fun on jumps. Which means I'm looking at the small, which isn't a sentence I've ever said before regarding a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah. I'm a medium by their recommendation, but that thing is huge. I've spent a lot of time on a large guerrilla gravity, which has similar numbers to pole's medium. I felt like it was a bit too big, and I lost some playfulness with it. And especially for a hardtail, I'd rather retain that playfulness - I'm not trying to replace my enduro sled with a hardtail. I'd rather have it be more flickable and fun on jumps. Which means I'm looking at the small, which isn't a sentence I've ever said before regarding a bike.
    Also keep in mind that, unlike a FS bike, the reach on a hardtail actually gets a little longer as it goes through the travel, since all you're doing is pitching forward. I think the Size 3 Trail Pistol fits me great, and I'd ride a medium in that Pole.

This.

A well balanced bike that doesn't have super short stays corners sooo much better.
    Yep. And I've blathered about this various places on the internet, but I'm thrilled to see more companies use different length chainstays on different size bikes. No ski company is changing sizes by adding all the length to the shovels, for good reason.

Id like an aluminum Ripley

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yep. And I've blathered about this various places on the internet, but I'm thrilled to see more companies use different length chainstays on different size bikes. No ski company is changing sizes by adding all the length to the shovels, for good reason.
    I mean, I see how that makes sense, but bikes are not skis. Also, I feel it's more an issue with 29 than smaller wheels.
    No longer stuck.

Never ridden one, but I would never want to deal with Pole as a company. The bike below broke during a test and Pole claimed that it was shipped with an xc rear end ( they don’t even make an xc bike). They pretty much just gave a bunch of bs instead of owning up to the failure.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/field-te...rail-bike.html

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Never ridden one, but I would never want to deal with Pole as a company. The bike below broke during a test and Pole claimed that it was shipped with an xc rear end ( they don’t even make an xc bike). They pretty much just gave a bunch of bs instead of owning up to the failure.

I read that debacle in PB and was appalled about how douchie the guy from Pole bikes was. Their bikes look ridiculous anyways. There I said it!

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post

For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure BTR makes those pole branded hardtails.

The pinkbike thing is funny. The pole breaks, they offer an explanation, everyone hates them now. The rocky mountain also breaks (and causes an injury), rocky doesn't really offer much of an explanation, and everyone is completely willing to overlook it. The same thing as the pole happened with yetis a few years back ("prototype" test bike broke during test). Everyone seems to have gotten over that by now.

Not defending pole or rocky (or yeti) since I think all of those failures are kinda bullshit. And I think it's safe to say that pole will be a hassle to deal with, mostly because they're a tiny company in Finland. But buying a hardtail from them doesn't make me anymore nervous than buying a hardtail from any other small foreign company.

I mean, I see how that makes sense, but bikes are not skis. Also, I feel it's more an issue with 29 than smaller wheels.
    Says the guy on a 6 year old bike. Stop trying to extrapolate out from your limited viewpoint and try some new rigs. Canfield paved the way forward for a brief moment, but the the world has charged past them.

However many are in a shit ton.

This.

I think some would consider the stays on the Trail Pistol to be super short, relatively. All of GG's bikes are on the shorter end of the spectrum, and are in the range of what I prefer. I wouldn't want to go much shorter unless it was on something goofy like a Stache.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.