Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Just to second a few things...
    Norco Optic, Sight
    Several of the Nukeproofs
    Ripmo AF
    Ripley

Tallboy
    Add the Druid and the new Orbea Occam and you have my list pretty much. I'm currently in a V1 Bronson with a DVO Topaz and a 1 degree angleset. I need to decide if I want to replace it with something like the Ripmo AF or Sight that would be more than my necessary for my everyday riding, but would be great for occasional trips to the bike park or if I go for one of the new gen of slacker short travel bikes.

Occam pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orbea-occam-m10-review-test-7000_ret-1140x760.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	301988

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Picked up a 2020 Strive about a month ago. 8 or 9 days of use so far. Love it, except for the fact that I'm in between L and XL and haven't really worked out my fork settings.

Attachment 300305
    How tall are you? The Strive another bike I've been thinking about given the value and that everyone seems to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Those things are sexy AF in person

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Careful, Ibis owns AF now. Don't wanna get sued!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

189-190. Could have gone with the XL, but I ride a lot of technical, thight terrain. Short techy climbs etc. If I lived in the Alps or rode a lot of park I'd get the XL insred

Those things are sexy AF in person

Unrelated but related and totally useless as fuck when it comes to this thread but rim decals are gross am I right?

I really want to build a mullet SB 165 though I'm not sure I can warrant the travel.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    ......... rim decals are gross am I right?.
    For the most part, yea a blank rim wins. But there is a price point threshold where it seems worth showing off what you put into it.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    189-190. Could have gone with the XL, but I ride a lot of technical, thight terrain. Short techy climbs etc. If I lived in the Alps or rode a lot of park I'd get the XL insred
    Thanks! That's really useful as I'm exactly your height. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Thanks! That's really useful as I'm exactly your height. Hmmm.
    I'm 5'11" (about 180cm) and I ride a large Strive.... I think it seems a little big on me, but I use it as my "big bike" and not the playful option. That said, I've taken it on plenty of 25+ mile rides and it never felt uncomfortably large.

For the price point, it's tough to beat. It's a great bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canyon-8.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	302029  

Canyon is a subsidiary of TSG, which owns Backcountry, etc, etc. No judgement here, just FYI.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm 5'11" (about 180cm) and I ride a large Strive.... I think it seems a little big on me, but I use it as my "big bike" and not the playful option. That said, I've taken it on plenty of 25+ mile rides and it never felt uncomfortably large.

For the price point, it's tough to beat. It's a great bike.
    Thanks. at 6'2.5, I'd probably be getting a similar fit with the XL as you have with the large. If I don't find an even crazier deal on something similar in this end of the season, maybe I'll try to see if I can get to one of their demo tour spots next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Canyon is a subsidiary of TSG, which owns Backcountry, etc, etc. No judgement here, just FYI.
    Good to know.
    I thought BC was owned by a bunch of Momo venture capitalists.
    With all the bad press BC is getting, I find it curious that Canyon has flown under the radar.

However many are in a shit ton.

Good to know.
    I thought BC was owned by a bunch of Momo venture capitalists.
    With all the bad press BC is getting, I find it curious that Canyon has flown under the radar.

I heard Canyon is suing to force a certain national park to be renamed. I'm thinking the Grand Trench has a nice ring to it.

Having worked in product marketing for a corporate brand behemoth, our strategy was definitely to consolidate marketing management and strategy across brands and products/services of like nature. We consolidated management where we could.

This is all speculation: BC and Canyon are probably different enough (retailer vs hardgoods manufacturer) that they are probably pretty independent from each other, but alike enough that they probably report into the same people at TSG (remember, BC filed trademarks for bike related hard and soft goods such as tools, tailgate pads, etc), and both brands probably have been thrown the same 2-bit marketing and IP hack consultants to strategize to rapid expansion of distribution, brand equity, revenue, etc. I have no idea how much say they have to politely tell their TSG bosses, “thanks but no thanks, we have our own marketing people.” Probably not much say unless they have their own and better plans for 50% or greater YoY metrics improvements.

I have no qualms about taking Canyon off my shopping list, there are many other great bike brands out there. Losing Duckhorn, LaVictoria and Stumptown from my kitchen hurts way more though ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I heard Canyon is suing to force a certain national park to be renamed. I'm thinking the Grand Trench has a nice ring to it.
    Gold.

You jest, yet I have personal experience with national parks getting sued for trademark infringement:
    I got married at the "Majestic Yosemite Hotel" before the trademark dispute was settled and it was named back to the "Ahwahnee Hotel!"

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I need a DH bike like I need another torn ligament in my knee after last season, but I want this in a bad way

How many people here have actually ridden a 29er DH bike? From the few non DHers I’ve been on I don’t think I’d like it for anything other than straight lining rock gardens.

I will say that is sexy AF though

If only these guys could get moving into production a little quicker:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atherton-Bikes-Technology-Review-Visit-040-039-1140x760.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	302900

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    How many people here have actually ridden a 29er DH bike? From the few non DHers I’ve been on I don’t think I’d like it for anything other than straight lining rock gardens.

I got a YT Tues 29 this past summer.

I LOVE it. granted I was coming from a 2012 Turner DHR with 26" wheels that was too small for me, so anything new was welcome.

It definitely isn't as nimble as the DHR or the YT Tues 27.5 which I demo'd, but it was still so much fun. had no problem flicking it sideways in the air, but tight corners definitely felt tighter.

In the end, I got it to go fast and monster truck over big ass rocks

The one thing I don't like is the seat height. constantly battling between getting it low enough so it's out of my way, but not too low that it's buzzing the back wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

I’ve ridden the Norco and have spent a season racing the v10 29. I was sold on 29ers after getting the og Hightower and immediately wanted a 29er dh bike. IMO, if you’re going to race, like the feel of 29er enduro/ trail bikes, or enjoy riding fast- you’ll dig it. They have a ton of grip in turns, you’ll be surprised how much. You can get away with choosing terrible lines. For jumping- It took 2 days in whistler to really figure out how to jump it, after that there wasn’t a problem. Happy to elaborate further if you have specific questions.

What kind of bikes are you riding/ have ridden?

For the most part, yea a blank rim wins. But there is a price point threshold where it seems worth showing off what you put into it.

Leaving the decals on is good when 5 years later your hub dies, and you can’t remember what you are riding so you can get replacement parts. (Can you tell that I am not a gear head?)

There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Holy shit that’s a damn good deal with that fork.

Nice to see the updated geo on the N9, also nice for them to add the adjustable CS to accommodate various wheel sizes.

Rowdy hardtails rock! (I have a GG Pedalhead)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

What makes you guys excited about the n9? I’m not a hardtail guy and am genuinely curious. looking at the new Norco torrent or some of the chromag’s get me way more excited about a gnarly hardtail...

^ pretty much for me just the sliding rear dropout. N9 and Torrent geo is just now catching up with where the GG PH was 3 years ago.
    Chromag has been there with GG though (was probably there first with the rowdy geo), and now the Doctahawk looks about as rowdy and long as you can make a frame before it starts feeling less ... Nimble. I think that frame might be a bit terrain/application-limited, but I could be wrong. 5 years ago you'd get stinkeye if you told someone you wanted a hardtail with 65* unsagged head angle. Hell, I didn't even know I wanted one until I rode one!

I haven't ridden any others besides the previous N9 and my PH, as demos are hard to come by. I will say that my PH is impressively damp in the rear end - it doesn't feel like a hard tail at all, it has lateral stiffness on edge but vertical damping/compliance over chatter. I think maybe the square tubing is responsible for that.

If you haven't demo'ed a short-CS hardtail, you'll be surprised how fun they are in the air.

For me owning a HT is about combining multiple desires ... a dedicated winter bike where I don't have to worry as much about linkage pivots and getting the rear bogged in mud, having a fun second bike for shorter rides vs my lightweight-build FS with plastic wheels, having a decent loaner bike for friends visiting from out of town, and I've also kitted it out with baby seat so I can take my 11-month old on flat trail rides (those front-bar baby seats need a long ass frame and an even longer steer tube, couldn't do it on my existing bike).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    What makes you guys excited about the n9? I’m not a hardtail guy and am genuinely curious. looking at the new Norco torrent or some of the chromag’s get me way more excited about a gnarly hardtail...
    The excitement for me was that the "new" N9 was evocative of the Gen 1 version, which I had and loved (as SS). Once mine cracked at the HT/DT junction, they'd moved one to Gen 2 which was a pound heavier, not as pretty, and by all reports, not as compliant a ride. I ended up replicating my Gen 1 but in a custom Chinese Ti version, which was only $200 more than a new N9 frame and rides like a dream. But I'm in the process of getting WC angleset and getting it closer to more modern geo. But I will always be a Canfield fanboy (love my Balance!), so I was following the announcement just the same.