Resort jobs in South America

Dear TGR forums,

I'm an Australian with a lot of stoke. Worked one season in Colorado (lifty) and was looking to come back for 19/20 but it looks like my J-1 visa is not going to come through in time.

In the case that it doesnt, im looking to work in a resort in South America for the 20 season, but can find a whole lot of promising information about available positions. Does anyone have any tips?

try whistler.... ya can’t swing a dead cat without hittin’ an aussie in that place.

Apparently you have no idea what it's like to live on a dollar or two a day.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Apparently you have no idea what it's like to live on a dollar or two a day.

by the time i fly to the northern hemisphere from australia, my pockets are much lighter

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    try whistler.... ya can’t swing a dead cat without hittin’ an aussie in that place.
    Thats why i dont want to go there

American here. Also interested in a South American summer. Will do more research tomorrow but decided to come here first. Maybe somebody has some first hand knowledge they can pass on?
    Cheers!

I'm from the States and ski patrol in South America. In Chile, they tend to give resort jobs to Chileans. I imagine it is the same story in Argentina. I had good references and certifications when I applied. Speaking fluent Spanish is required. Portillo has a ski school with instructors from every corner of the world, but they have an incredibly high fluency and certification standard. Chances of getting hired over a local for a low-skilled job (ie lift ops) generally unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Chances of getting hired over a local for a low-skilled job (ie lift ops) generally unheard of.
    Name:  IMG_9524.JPG
Views: 770
Size:  24.4 KB