Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Your pronouns?

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxxx View Post
    Good luck implementing this in spanish, or any language where the feminine/masculine inference is incorporated into all nouns.
    Didn't you know? Woke NON-Spanish speakers (ie white liberals from the PNW) have this covered by simply replacing the -o/-a with -x, thus "Latinx." Nevermind that using -o covers both men and women, just like in English when we say "mankind" or "brethren." Masculine terms that cover everyone. Sheesh. It's like people are just LOOKING for things to get offended about these days.

Funny thing is when you actually talk to people from Spanish speaking countries about it. They be like "WTF?"

SJWs aren't content with just changing the English language. Now they're going after foreign languages and other cultures. All while scolding us for cultural appropriation. At least most of us aren't trying to hijack entire languages! And they say that all of US are the ones who are "intolerant." LMAO.

The problem isn't the SJWs and their agenda. The problem is that our society is listening to them and allowing this BS to perpetuate. They should be marginalized and ignored and this would all go away.

Your pronouns?

Maybe I was too quick to judge on this. So we are ALL now entitled to come up with our own pronouns of choice, right? Or is only reserved for people who are now what they originally biologically weren’t?

So I’m now

Rassamataz
    Rassamatazer
    Rassamatazis

So from now on I’ll be offended if you don’t use these

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Before yesterday, I had never heard of this pronoun business until I read this thread. And right on queue, last night my wife, who is a teach brings up the subject and asks me if I've heard anything about it since it is something that is the school is now dealing with.
    And everyone is confused on how it all works.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I suspect it won't be quite so confusing if it becomes easier to change your name. Place I work is CA based with pretty progressive folks in the workforce. Way back in 2006 I worked with someone who changed their name from Karen to Aaron. If I can see them IRL I just go by the obvious vibe they are projecting in clothes and hair. Pretty recently I was standing around with a group of others. All but one were definitely male, and another was clearly born female but rocking that hormone induced scraggly facial hair. I was just "hey dudes" to the entire group. If you dress like X I'll call you X. If I don't know I use your name instead of pronouns altogether.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    ...I was just "hey dudes" to the entire group...
    Better be careful throwing out that sexist language!!!!
    https://www.vox.com/2015/6/11/876122...exism-language
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Or you know, maybe just refer to people how they prefer because it's better than being an asshole about it.
    Truth.

If someone insisted on referring to me as "she" I've got to say I wouldn't be real comfortable about. The Golden Rule has been around for a long time for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Didn't you know? Woke NON-Spanish speakers (ie white liberals from the PNW) have this covered by simply replacing the -o/-a with -x, thus "Latinx." Nevermind that using -o covers both men and women, just like in English when we say "mankind" or "brethren." Masculine terms that cover everyone. Sheesh. It's like people are just LOOKING for things to get offended about these days.

Funny thing is when you actually talk to people from Spanish speaking countries about it. They be like "WTF?"

SJWs aren't content with just changing the English language. Now they're going after foreign languages and other cultures. All while scolding us for cultural appropriation. At least most of us aren't trying to hijack entire languages! And they say that all of US are the ones who are "intolerant." LMAO.
    Damn. They have it all figured out.. Do you pronounce it 'latin ex' or 'la tinks'?

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxxx View Post
    Good luck implementing this in spanish, or any language where the feminine/masculine inference is incorporated into all nouns.

The problem doesn't stem from people wanting to be called a specific made up pronoun. The problem comes from passing legislation making it illegal to use "undesired" pronouns (like canada did). This opens pandora's box to legislate and make any form of "undesired" speech illegal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Wait what? It's illegal here to use "undesired" words?

Good fucking luck with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Or you know, maybe just refer to people how they prefer because it's better than being an asshole about it.
    What about when it just creates confusion? For example: an individual who chooses to be addressed as "They/them/their" or "We/us."

It's grammatically incorrect and its use creates confusion to listeners/readers.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    What about when it just creates confusion? For example: an individual who chooses to be addressed as "They/them/their" or "We/us."

It's grammatically incorrect and its use creates confusion to listeners/readers.
    Well, if they were once male, now female, but identify as zir. Then maybe there are many people in there!

This has emerged as a new thing at my school. Staff with preferred pronouns in their email sig and students wanting to go by alternate gender names and pronouns. I'm pretty progressive so I get it and I'll do my best to remember but please don't get on my ass if call you by a name or pronoun that you don't prefer out of habit.

I work with a kid who had a female name and now wants to be called a boy's name. I called her by her female name out of habit in front of a couple people and I was immediately corrected in the most condescending, non-woke manner possible. I'm trying here, cut me a little slack.

I know a male who became a female changed his name from Joe to Jody, tried that out for eight months, didn’t like it or got bored with it or something and changed his name back to Joe. Sometimes I question people’s motives; otherwise, it goes right over my head
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If I'm a guest in someone's home, I'll certainly call them whatever they identify as. Otherwise it would be rude and I'm not a savage. But to implement this nonsense across society, count me out.

I think it is important to recognize gender fluidity and respect those that are atypical, but that is a two way street. You need to understand and respect why much is based on the biological concept of two human sexes.

I'd like to see what would happen if nudists start to push the boundaries of what is acceptable. I'm sure many of them believe they were not born to wear clothes and should not be discriminated against due to the rules of an arbitrary culture.

A janitor at my high school transitioned while I was there, from male to female. After living as a woman for a year, this individual (not even going to try to get the correct pronoun) decided to go back to being male. I believe this individual was only on hormone therapy, no surgery had yet occurred, but I don't really know for sure.

Anyone who would choose to go through that in front of an audience of extremely fucking insensitive high school kids...well, I have to believe that they really didn't have any choice. You wouldn't put yourself through that for fun. Now that transitioning is less socially fraught, I do have the feeling the bar is lower, maybe meaning there are more situations of the "lesbian until graduation" variety, where you're just trying on an identity to see if it fits. Still, I guess "whatever floats your boat" applies here - I may miss a pronoun here or there, but I won't do it on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    This has emerged as a new thing at my school. Staff with preferred pronouns in their email sig and students wanting to go by alternate gender names and pronouns. I'm pretty progressive so I get it and I'll do my best to remember but please don't get on my ass if call you by a name or pronoun that you don't prefer out of habit.

I work with a kid who had a female name and now wants to be called a boy's name. I called her by her female name out of habit in front of a couple people and I was immediately corrected in the most condescending, non-woke manner possible. I'm trying here, cut me a little slack.
    I get trying, I do. But no one is going to endear anyone to this cause by speaking like that to someone who messes it up, much less their superiors.

Harden the fuck up kid, life ain’t fair and no one gives a shit about your feelings out there.
    I still call it The Jake.

I bet the Russians are behind all this shit, too. Confusion, acrimony, division, I mean that's their playbook.

Poor little woke pawns in a geopolitical game.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Harden the fuck up kid, life ain’t fair and no one gives a shit about your feelings out there.
    you x post this is the 'something you never say to millenial' thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    A janitor at my high school transitioned while I was there, from male to female. After living as a woman for a year, this individual (not even going to try to get the correct pronoun) decided to go back to being male. I believe this individual was only on hormone therapy, no surgery had yet occurred, but I don't really know for sure.

Anyone who would choose to go through that in front of an audience of extremely fucking insensitive high school kids...well, I have to believe that they really didn't have any choice. You wouldn't put yourself through that for fun. Now that transitioning is less socially fraught, I do have the feeling the bar is lower, maybe meaning there are more situations of the "lesbian until graduation" variety, where you're just trying on an identity to see if it fits. Still, I guess "whatever floats your boat" applies here - I may miss a pronoun here or there, but I won't do it on purpose.
    Reading the responses in this thread, I wouldn’t assume it’s easy for anyone to go through this. Nobody is going to put themselves through the hormone therapy, the abuse, and the mental anguish if they don’t truly believe it.

What has changed is more people are speaking up and saying it’s not ok to discriminate against trans people and ask for some accommodations. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. I’ve also not heard of anyone getting mad at people who are making an effort to clean up their language.

The other thing that’s changed is right wing media pumping story after story into fragile white masculinity to gin up feat about stuff that doesn’t exist. I mean holy shit! A trans woman won a bike race. Pretty much should just surrender America to the communists now and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

I’m at home watching the Blazer game and they had a promo for their next home; a celebration of Hispanic culture. Cool, right? Except in the text, they had latinx and hispaña. So... you can’t have ‘o’ the male pronoun? But you can have ‘a’ the female pronoun? What in the actual fuck?!

I can't really get too worked up about that.

Valid. I’m more in disbelief. I guess this is the PNWoke now.

Wait. I thought the pronoun stuff was for the Pats. I’d think if a man was dressing as a woman you would call them she/her unless corrected.

I don’t know anymore. I was emailing a they/them person yesterday and I just skipped the whole pronoun circle jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  102.8 KB