Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    That’s not accurate at all.
    I knew I was going to catch slack for my opinion. But, in my experience...their hips will not hold up to the abuse. My oldest vizsla (12) can no longer walk. She used to ride trails and trail run with me about 4 days a week. She was all good...then, wasn't. My 8 year old vizsla who we had to put down last year with cancer was the same. He hit about 6-7ish, and just stopped being able to run more than about a mile before he would literally stop. My wife's parents have had vizslas for the past 30 years, her mom was a marathon runner so her dogs got some miles on the pavement...same issues with their vizslas.

So, in my experience...I would not recommend them as a top choice. Otherwise, they are probably the best breed of dog ever, especially with kids/family...only second to a basset hound (not a top trail dog).

Maybe it’s your line? Hips haven’t been an issue for any of mine. But they do seem to get cancer.

Ruby is probably the most famous trail dog in the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...&v=weiiVCeYBy4

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    That's what I feared (regarding the getting hot part). I have friends with a pair that are some of my absolute favorite dogs and seem to be very happy as active family dogs for the 90% of their life that they aren't hunting. Thanks!
    They're the best family and kid dogs I've ever owned and they have a built in off-switch when they come inside. But like some other breeds, I think they're still largely hardwired for one thing and denying them that doesn't seem fair nor healthy. JMHO though.

Ruby is a good looking dog.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Maybe it’s your line? Hips haven’t been an issue for any of mine. But they do seem to get cancer.

That was my thought. I haven't come across any Vizslas that have had hip dysplasia issues which leads me to believe it's a breeder/line issue.

Ruby is amazing.

Whiskey the Vizsla (https://www.instagram.com/mywhiskeygirl/?hl=en) is another active Vizsla who tends to go on a LOT of hikes, both day and overnight, and often carries her own pack.

She's another good example of what they can (and can't) handle.

Just make sure you look for a reputable breeder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    They're the best family and kid dogs I've ever owned and they have a built in off-switch when they come inside. But like some other breeds, I think they're still largely hardwired for one thing and denying them that doesn't seem fair nor healthy. JMHO though.
    I understand. Though I wouldn't rule out training this dog to point birds as well. I grew up with working setters and there are few things I think are more beautiful than a bird dog on point. I don't eat birds now, though, so I wouldn't be shooting over it, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at training a bird dog.

I love my labs. Not the fat, dumb, slow English labs. The American bird line. Yesterday was my 5 month old pup's first day of skiing and she was fantastic. We live in town, so not much time off of leash previously. But she stayed in sight, stayed off the skis, came when called and I was even able to call her off of a surprise encounter with a big bull moose with a single shout! She had so much fun that I couldn't help but smile all day.

My last labs could go forever and ever. Swim, hike, ski, MTB all day long and as good as any dog in the heat. Great in the cold and snow until they were 9 or 10, then a jacket was needed. Rare problems with snow in their paws that was easily remidied with a little help. I think that their feet and hides are less fragile than GSPs and Vizslas. Barbed wire fences rarely caused problems when in the field and sheding is only an issue twice a year for about 3 weeks per episode.

I can't imagine a better family dog either. My 8 year old son rolls around with the pup pulling ears and tail, slapping paws, face to face all day long without a scratch or bite since the pup was 12 weeks. Such a soft mouth.

Hips and elbows are a problem with the breed, but good OFA certification of the parents makes this much less likely.

All of my previus labs have been taught to heel to my left baceasue that was what I was taught. This made sharing a trail with oncoming traffic sometimes difficult. The new pup heels right and it is working out so much better. What is with this tradition?

God bless the folks who save shelter dogs. My sister has two def cattle dogs that she saved and there is a special place in heaven for her for this act of charity. I'm a bit of a control freak and need a clean slate for a companion of 10-15 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010504.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	889.1 KB 
ID:	299310

Name:	Picture2 317.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	299311

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cd.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	299312
    Last edited by timackie; 10-25-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post

God bless the folks who save shelter dogs. My sister has two def cattle dogs that she saved and there is a special place in heaven for her for this act of charity. I'm a bit of a control freak and need a clean slate for a companion of 10-15 years.
    Beautiful labs you have there. And, Bromontana, that's a gorgeous "fat" boy you have there.

I'll likely end up adopting another shelter dog if one pops up when we're ready. Breed specific rescues are intriguing, but just less likely to work out. And while I am not at all opposed to really good breeders, I got lucky once, so I'll likely press my luck again. I did work my butt off with my current cattle dog mix, though, to break some manias. She was shadow obsessed and would work herself up into a tizzy over it. At one point we had those icicle lights running all around our living room in order to create the most diffuse light possible. She's gotten way, way better, though she'll still frantically chase points of light if it reflects off your watch and is more likely to go after the frisbee's shadow than the disc itself. Still, she turned into a really great dog so it doesn't turn me off adopting again in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    All of my previus labs have been taught to heel to my left baceasue that was what I was taught. This made sharing a trail with oncoming traffic sometimes difficult. The new pup heels right and it is working out so much better. What is with this tradition?
    so dog is away from traffic when walking on streets with no sidewalk?

And because most people are right handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    so dog is away from traffic when walking on streets with no sidewalk?

And because most people are right handed.
    I always wondered this because my dog was trained to heel on the left as well.

Sometimes it makes for a confusing moment when on the path or trail when we’re walking on the right (the correct side) and an approaching dog is all aggressive - I’d prefer to have myself between oncoming dog and have mine heeling on the right.

He can do it of course because he’s a genius, but it’s still awkward.
    I still call it The Jake.

I think having right hand free is more to do with it than oncoming traffic because they're trained to heel on left in UK as well.

The right is usually free for the falcon.
    Name:  d33e1a8559b0e2ed5285e8a578b0409b.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  27.4 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I think having right hand free is more to do with it than oncoming traffic because they're trained to heel on left in UK as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The right is usually free for the falcon.
    Name:  d33e1a8559b0e2ed5285e8a578b0409b.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  27.4 KB
    This all makes sense now
    I still call it The Jake.

IME cross a Lab with a Chesapeake and you get a slightly larger really intense lab that goes to 11

mine loved to windsurf, I would hook-in to the harness and she would sit way out on nose of the board

chase balls for like 3 hrs, or go into the water and pull out all the sticks or trees

liked swimming in the ocean , at long beach she could easily swim out past the break and catch a wave

crazy dog
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I wonder how these vizsla's do in the cold? No question, they slay during the summer.

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I think that started in the U.K. and then came here.
    But a trail dog should be on the right. I want my dog away from traffic, other dogs and people.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I wonder how these vizsla's do in the cold? No question, they slay during the summer.
    I imagine they're fine except in the coldest of the cold. Throw a coat and some boots on them and they'll be fine in 99.9% of all temperatures. If you run them on the road and they can develop tougher pads, they may not even need boots most of the time. Ours always ran in the woods or on grass so they have very soft pads.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME cross a Lab with a Chesapeake and you get a slightly larger really intense lab that goes to 11
    i think any lab mix is a good way to get away from the hip issues and shelters are full of lab mixes.

We had a shelter yellow lab. she was sweet and physically a goof - angular and tall and thin. She was found as a stray and was really devastated by the experience, but she did come out of her shell, but was often afraid and sought protection from her family. she was an endearing complicated animal and well loved and she loved back as a dog can.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    A buddy's vizsla would keep going until his skin was blue and his teeth were chattering if you let him.

They're really not built for the snow or cold weather. Conditions that would send him hypothermic would barely trouble my goldens.

Awesome dogs though.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I always wondered this because my dog was trained to heel on the left as well.

Sometimes it makes for a confusing moment when on the path or trail when we’re walking on the right (the correct side) and an approaching dog is all aggressive - I’d prefer to have myself between oncoming dog and have mine heeling on the right.

He can do it of course because he’s a genius, but it’s still awkward.
    Left is the "near side" for horses too. Wonder if healing dogs on the left developed for the same reason horses are mounted on the near side:

Soldiers would mount up on their horses left sides so that their swords, anchored over their left legs so they could grab it with their right, wouldn't harm their horses' backs.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

y'all know you can train a dog to do both.

Only one of my dogs heels, but if you say "on my left" he will fall behind and pull up on the left side.

Unless he's in a rebellious mood (often), where he'll go around in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Thanks, that boy is a shelter --> GSP rescue pupper. I've had nothing but good experiences with this GSP rescue, excellent temperament & trainability. So long as you give clear input on lifestyle she'll match you with dogs that fit. My current boy used to hunt somewhere in West Valley but for some unknown reason was abandoned. Spending some time around the GSP rescue my default assumption is the humans were at fault.

https://www.utahsperfectpointers.org/
    I definitely didn't mean that if I adopted a dog from a breed specific rescue, it would be less likely to work out. Just that I presumed that there would be less dogs going through the system and so less likely to be placed with me. The org you link to seems to have more than I would have expected though, so I might be wrong. Or it might be regional.

U in SLC?:

https://www.petfinder.com/search/dog...alt-lake-city/
    Maybe “Battle Royal”

Name:	IMG_1745.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	299358
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

One of these is not a trail dog.

Name:	IMG_3225.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	644.5 KB 
ID:	299362

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    U in SLC?:

https://www.petfinder.com/search/dog...alt-lake-city/
    Maybe “Battle Royal”
    Nope, in New England. I'm still a few months to a year away from wanting to adopt a new dog. The plan is to figure out permanent job stuff in the next month or two, and a house soon after (assuming the permanent job is where we are now. If we choose to move, then the time frame gets pushed back, though one place my wife is interviewing is Utah). I was thinking ahead slightly specifically if the breed specific rescues had an order based waitlist. I did just check petfinder for my area though, and there are some super cute cattle dog mixes...