Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watchmen ........ any one??

I'm soooooo in.

Started it last night; holy crap, I’m in.

Watchmen began with issue 1 and ended with issue 12. In those pages it said everything it needed to say. Nothing else should be considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

How about if we just call it Watchpeople and consider it something completely different?

i heard it was good
    is this something I need to turn my HBONow again for?
    does it have appeal beyond knowing the origin material?

I'd never seen the original movie or read the comic book but enjoyed it immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Watchmen began with issue 1 and ended with issue 12. In those pages it said everything it needed to say. Nothing else should be considered.
    That sounds like the story the director, I think, of the new series told. He said he first got the comics when he was sitting in his room as a 13yo and his dad walks in, throws the first two issues on his bed, says "you're not ready for these", and just walks out.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Dang it! Something else to vie for my time now!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    That sounds like the story the director, I think, of the new series told. He said he first got the comics when he was sitting in his room as a 13yo and his dad walks in, throws the first two issues on his bed, says "you're not ready for these", and just walks out.
    I heard the NPR interview too. Was interesting.

Never read the comics or saw the movie. Interested in the show though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Meh.

Couldn't stick through the first episode.

Also never read the comics or saw the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If you wish to geek out, this expose on the Rorschach character is pretty cool:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...-question-mr-a
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Rorschach character
    That was one of my big complaints about the movie. Rorschach seemed like a badass, Comedian seemed like a boisterous and fun-loving asshole, Night Owl seemed like a hero, Dr. Manhattan seemed like a renaissance science/poet. As opposed to in the comic, where you didn't want to be any of these characters, you didn't want to know any of these characters.

That, juxtaposed with the near shot-for-panel recreation of the comic, made it all the more maddening that he clearly read the comic, but completely missed the fucking point of it.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 10-25-2019 at 03:55 AM.
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

That was one of my big complaints about the movie. Rorschach seemed like a badass, Comedian seemed like a boisterous and fun-loving asshole, Night Owl seemed like a hero, Dr. Manhattan seemed like a renaissance science/poet. As opposed to in the comic, where you didn't want to be any of these characters, you didn't want to know any of these characters.
    Huh. That's funny you say that. When I saw the movie in theaters the first time, I shared your take on it. However, upon subsequent viewings at home I felt more it portrayed them like you said they should: Individuals that you'd want NOTHING to do with. They ALL came across as a bunch of dicks. Again, it took more than one viewing for me to realize that so I do see your point.

If you're not hip to this, it fills in some gaps between the comic and the tv show.
    https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

It’s fucking awful. Caught the first two episodes, I’m done.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Some real life, historical context:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...wn-in-watchmen
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

In related news: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross just dropped their part of the soundtrack on Spotify. Good and chilling.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Comedian seemed like a boisterous and fun-loving asshole.
    Uhhhh.......

In the first 30 minutes of the film, we see the Comedian assassinate JFK, beat the shit of Silk Spectre and try to rape her, burn surrendering soldiers alive and murder his pregnant Vietnamese girlfriend......so I'm thinkin' maybe you got a bit too high before you saw Watchmen. Eh, it happens.

As for the new show, seems pretty interesting so far.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Uhhhh.......

In the first 30 minutes of the film, we see the Comedian assassinate JFK, beat the shit of Silk Spectre and try to rape her, burn surrendering soldiers alive and murder his pregnant Vietnamese girlfriend......so I'm thinkin' maybe you got a bit too high before you saw Watchmen. Eh, it happens.
    Lol, yup! EXACTLY!!! Actually now that you mention it, I watched it at the first theater in town to introduce a full bar at the time so I believe I WAS fairly inebriated that time. No wonder it took another viewing of the film for me to realize just how awful of a person the Comedian was. You're totally right. They didn't dance around that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Lol, yup! EXACTLY!!! Actually now that you mention it, I watched it at the first theater in town to introduce a full bar at the time so I believe I WAS fairly inebriated that time. No wonder it took another viewing of the film for me to realize just how awful of a person the Comedian was. You're totally right. They didn't dance around that at all.
    IMO, The only one who isn't shown to be deeply flawed is Silk Spectre 2.

Rorschach is a sadistic, vindictive psychopath with a sense of "morality" that stems from his abusive childhood. He's got serious mommy issues. He calls what he does "justice" but really he's just a traumatized child taking revenge on the world.

Night Owl 2 is a naive dilettante. He's not a bad person per se. He's basically a wealthy superhero fanboy playing dress up for his own self-gratification. Silk Spectre 2 has a little bit of the same thing going on. We see them lure the Top Knot gang into an ambush and massacre them for shits and giggles.

Dr. Manhattan has lost all objective sense of morality and compassion. He sees humans as insects so he allows himself to be used as Nixon's super weapon. He doesn't stop the Comedian's abuses. He doesn't seem to care if humanity destroys itself.

Ozymandias is a tougher nut to crack. He is a control freak and he does horrible things but he does them to save the world from destruction. Veidt straddles the line between superhero and supervillain. Of course, the film hides this from us until the final act because that's the big "twist". Having him in the TV show is probably my favorite part so far. I think Dr. Manhattan has imprisoned him on Mars where he can keep an eye on him because it was probably just a matter of time before Veidt decided the world's smartest man should also be the sole ruler of the world.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-07-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Veidt seems a little to tweaked/senile to be still referred to as the smartest person in the world, but he does seem to have escape and world domination on his mind. Interesting thought about Mars prison - could explain the old school space(?)/escape suit freezing of the android(?). Could be any place inimical to life though - Antartica, mountain peak above 7k meters, etc.

IMO..
    Well, this is exactly how I felt about all the characters after reading the comic. So if the movie got those points across to someone who wasn't familiar with the source material, then it did it's job.
    I saw the movie in theaters the first time, I shared your take on it. However...subsequent viewings...portrayed...Individuals that you'd want NOTHING to do with
    I'm thinkin' maybe you got a bit too high before you saw Watchmen. Eh, it happens.
    Lol, yup! EXACTLY!!! Actually now that you mention it...They didn't dance around that at all.
    Hahaha, hmmm. Perhaps I'm in the same situation AustinFromSA was in.... maybe I will go back and give it another watch.

But, instead, I think I'll just read the comic again; while accepting and admitting that my impressions of the movie are flawed and a little spiked.

Well, this is exactly how I felt about all the characters after reading the comic. So if the movie got those points across to someone who wasn't familiar with the source material, then it did it's job.

Hahaha, hmmm. Perhaps I'm in the same situation AustinFromSA was in.... maybe I will go back and give it another watch.

But, instead, I think I'll just read the comic again; while accepting and admitting that my impressions of the movie are flawed and a little spiked.
    Its a good film but its not a great one, by any means. If I had to put a finger on what's wrong with it, I'd blame Snyder's direction of his actors' line delivery. The film looks great, but some of the acting, especially the numerous scenes with Night Owl and Silk Spectre, is about as flat as a page of a comic book. He put so much effort into recreating the story but then forgot to get good performances. Sometimes it sounds like Night Owl and Silk Spectre are just reading lines, not talking like real people.

In other words, your favorable impressions of The Comedian and Rorschach probably result from the simple fact that Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earle Haley steal the damn show! They have life and the rest of the actors are oddly listless. That's reasonable for Dr. Manhattan because his personality is eroding along with his sense of being human, but Ozymandias, Silk Spectre and Night Owl are just lacking in substance.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.

line delivery
    Goddamn, that was one hell of an insightful post. You fucking nailed it. I've been trying to figure out what I didn't like about the movie since I saw it. Yeah, the reason the movie Rorschach and The Comedian struck me as badass antiheros rather than despicable assholes was solely the charisma of the actors. Furthermore, the only thing I really liked about the movie was Dr. Manhattan doing his clockwork speech about how he perceives the universe, which (like Robocop, Terminator, or Neo) is perfectly suited for a dispassionate, robotic delivery.

Thanks man, you easily solved a comicbook-movie-fan problem I've been grappling with for a while.

"Go ahead, do that thing you do!"