Tech Question: Stanchion Lube for Dropper/Fork

My dropper stanchion (Gravity (believe it's a rebranded FSA)) dropper that came on my '17 Troy is looking kind of "dry" and the thing isn't all that smooth in general.

Led me to look into lube for this (as well as for the fork too)...found mixed info.

I see some ppl use SRAM butter or slick honey around the seal to re-lube this area and maybe help reduce sticking as the stanchion passes thru the seal, which if working properly, I would imagine wipes any lube but maybe it lubes the seal itself a bit. $10/oz is pretty steep for this stuff.

Then I thought about just using a little silicon spray since I already have plenty of that on hand. Noticed this was mentioned on some articles I found on the google. Only thing is, I'm not sure if silicon is safe for the seals? Or can harm other parts of the fork/finish on bike parts?

For those who treat this area with something, what do you guys do? Of course, I try and keep the wiper seal area clean in general.

https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-S.../dp/B0015TT3V2

The price/oz is outrageous, but a little goes a long, long way.

Whistler Performance Lubricants have some really good products.
    Fork Boost 4oz

The correct answer is to get the thing serviced, not buying some overpriced snake oil.

Searched, but can't find it. How do you know if your snake oil is overpriced or a good value? :-)

I typically use Slick Honey.

Slick honey for me as well. Cheap insurance.

Dust wipers aren't supposed to have lube on them. It'll attract dirt and hold it in the little pocket of the wiper, basically dragging your stanchion across grit every time it's compressed. There's a reason there isn't lube packed in there from the factory. Slick honey is great, but it's for internal seals, not external wipers.

That said, those hyper expensive stanchion lubes work well and don't really trap dirt in the wiper.

Or, yeah, rebuild the thing properly.

So then, there shouldn't be any product applied between maintenance intervals to keep things operating at their best? That's what I'm kinda gathering here...

I use slick honey to lube the seals and pull out any little dirt in the dust wipers.

It doesn't hurt anything at all. Gives the stanchion tube a little lube to reduce friction. Just do it and stop over thinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    So then, there shouldn't be any product applied between maintenance intervals to keep things operating at their best? That's what I'm kinda gathering here...
    I've been using the WPL Fork Boost on my fork stanchions and dropper for a couple years now. Not every ride, but maybe once every 4-5 rides... just a small amount, and it seems effective at pulling grit out of the dust wipers and maybe keeps the foam rings/stanchions in a bit better shape than they otherwise would be.

Have you tried spitting on it?

I put a drop or two of tri-flow on the seal after wiping the whole thing down very clean. I then activate it a few times and wipe whatever remains off.

One Ball!
    https://one-ball.com/products/bike-fork-stanchion-oil
    Caution: you will need to add air to your fork as this shit is that good.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Have you tried spitting on it?
    Wait...are we still talking dropper posts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums