Binding forward pressure difference between models/brands

Does anyone know how forward pressure Vries between models/brands? Are the pressures similar within a brand? Across the board?

Can you switch and swap toes and heels?

More curious than anything. Don't really have plans to do this.

They vary across brands and models depending. For instance, the Marker Royal series requires way more forward pressue to work correctly then do STH, Pivots or Attacks.

If you mean something like Salomon heels and Marker toes, then no you can't (you can, but you shouldn't).
    The forward pressure created from the heel piece is designed to work as a system with the toe piece. Salomon designs their toe to release at a certain value in conjunction with the specific forward pressure created from their heel, and vice versa.
    Its not like all brands design a binding with a set force of xx Newtons as forward pressure.

Can mix and match tech binders w/o forward pressure all day long though

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Can mix and match tech binders w/o forward pressure all day long though
    Waiting on someone to pair vipec toes and some kingpin heels so you get all the varieties of lateral release imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Does anyone know how forward pressure Vries between models/brands? Are the pressures similar within a brand? Across the board?

They can be engineered to work together differently depending on the release mechanisms.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

What does it say about me that this post totally makes me want to do this?

Are the pressures similar within a brand? Across the board? Can you switch and swap toes and heels?
    No. No. Maybe, but why?

Back in the day, before awesome AT bindings were dime a dozen available, I did some heel piece swapping. I had two pairs of Emery bindings, which had some shitty, low DIN heel pieces on them. Not to dissimilar from the Petzal bindings of the same era. I swapped them out for higher DIN marker MMR heel pieces and they worked great. Keep in mind, this was in the days before the Fritschi Diamir binding.

I would guess--and I do mean guess--that you could mix toes and heels if you had access to a binding tester and went by the actual force to release and ignored DIN numbers. But why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Back in the day, before awesome AT bindings were dime a dozen available, I did some heel piece swapping. I had two pairs of Emery bindings, which had some shitty, low DIN heel pieces on them. Not to dissimilar from the Petzal bindings of the same era. I swapped them out for higher DIN marker MMR heel pieces and they worked great.
    That IS back in the day. I used to mix the original Look Nevada toes with Marker non-releasable turntables and long thongs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I would guess--and I do mean guess--that you could mix toes and heels if you had access to a binding tester and went by the actual force to release and ignored DIN numbers. But why?
    I would guess that you could successfully mix components with similar moderate forward pressure - Salomon STH, Warden, Z-series, Tyrolia Attack, Look SPX and NX. I wouldn't try to subsitute anything else for Marker Royal Family bindings or Look Pivot bindings.

If you have time to experiment with this, a lot of shit has blown down in my yard and I could use someone to rake it up.

Thanks all.

Too much shit in my yard to help with yours, unfortunately.

Kind of a Rick Howell moony, like the idea of heel release for knee protection. Have a vague thought of mixing a Shift toe with a Kingpin heel or his heel piece if it ever comes to market.

Don't ever see actually going through with it.

I don't remember where on this forum I read this but I'm pretty sure I recall smarter people than me saying you can't really have lateral release in toe and heel. You need to protect your acl OR your tib/fib.

In fact, even the knee binding that says it does this only allows lateral release at the heel in 1 direction, which means you end up with a left and right ski.

And all accounts say the knee binding sucks donkey balls.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Didn't its own creator admit that they suck so bad, the company put gag order on him somehow?
    Oh, and they're heavy. Bonus!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.