Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do with a dead 97 Outback?

our 97 Subaru Outback with 240,000 miles finally died....several systems on life support and final head gasket last week (I won't spend thousands on it now...it had a good run).........it can be driven a couple of miles before overheating but essentially dead here in Denver, CO. Any specific suggestions of getting any actual $ or tax credit for donation, junk yard, anyone might want for parts etc? No illusion of this being worth much, but now have to figure out what actually to do with it....thanks, Chet

Donate it to CPR. It's dead easy. And they'll give you a big receipt as a tax write off.

Viking funeral
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

1-800 Kars 4 Kids..............
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    our 97 Subaru Outback with 240,000 miles finally died....several systems on life support and final head gasket last week (I won't spend thousands on it now...it had a good run).........it can be driven a couple of miles before overheating but essentially dead here in Denver, CO. Any specific suggestions of getting any actual $ or tax credit for donation, junk yard, anyone might want for parts etc? No illusion of this being worth much, but now have to figure out what actually to do with it....thanks, Chet
    Salvage yard for a few bucks. Donating it to an organization seems like passing the buck on the way to the junkyard to me. Does CPR actually pull parts, etc?

So... is the driver's side power windows switch panel still in decent shape? How about the rearview mirror? 'Cause... I could use those things.

This thing for reference:

Name:  subaru_window-switch.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  21.2 KB

I just got 3 bills cash for an 03 f150, picked up at my place probably weighs a bit more than a Subaru, but I bet you get 150 cash maybe?

interestingly the right drivers side window does NOT work and my wife banged the drivers side mirror fixed with duct tape....CTR

Back when Watkins Glen was fun, you could have burned it in the Bog.

You could try having sex with it.

Outbacks are wild in bed, especially those late 90’s models.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

interestingly the right drivers side window does NOT work and my wife banged the drivers side mirror fixed with duct tape....CTR
    I'm looking for the interior rearview mirror...

Fill it w dead hookers and bury it

I had a cousin who fed his car to the bog at Watkins Glen in the 70s. Drove it into a mud pit, pinned the throttle, then people thew molotov cocktails at it.
    Fun way to say goodbye to a car.

That's somewhere in Canada, IIRC... eh?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That's somewhere in Canada, IIRC... eh?
    Alaska, but you could always establish a local chapter.

Junkyard for scrap is the most likely answer.

I actually got more value out of my dead XTerra by trading it when I bought a new truck; the dealer gave me $1 in trade value (I probably should've argued for more given that I delivered it to them and it probably had some scrap value), but that triggered a Ford factory trade-in credit for $1,500. If you're in the process of purchasing a new vehicle, you may want to find out what options exist.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So... is the driver's side power windows switch panel still in decent shape? How about the rearview mirror? 'Cause... I could use those things.

This thing for reference:

Name:  subaru_window-switch.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  21.2 KB
    Have you been driving my car at night? Because my 97 Outback has a faulty drivers side window switch and the rearview mirror won't stay in place on anything but perfectly smooth roads. I actually replaced the window switch assembly with an aftermarket one a couple years ago. The aftermarket ones are crap and don't last long and mine is already failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Have you been driving my car at night? Because my 97 Outback has a faulty drivers side window switch and the rearview mirror won't stay in place on anything but perfectly smooth roads. I actually replaced the window switch assembly with an aftermarket one a couple years ago. The aftermarket ones are crap and don't last long and mine is already failing.
    Fucking kids have "inherited" this car. Within 6 months TWO of the switch "knobs" had been broken off.

The rearview mirror has been a wobbly pile of shit for YEARS, though. I threw a layer of rubber into the socket and that has made it... tolerable. Especially since I don't drive it.

Donation to KUVO.....we'll see how much tax deduction a few weeks from now.....Chet

Donation to KUVO.....we'll see how much tax deduction a few weeks from now.....Chet
    It ain't gonna be enough to get you above the standard deduction, I'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    1-800 Kars 4 Kids..............
    877 Kars for Kids! Not sure how you could have missed that one given that fucking jingle...
    go upside down.

https://youtu.be/iDjX4-LKqCA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Can't remember if it was a change in the tax code or an IRS rule change a few years back re car donations. I think the latter. Ever since then the amount you get back for donating a vehicle is way worse than it used to be.

My dad was pissed at our local when he donated a car a year or two ago because they gave him so little back on the tax receipt. Said he could've sold the car for double, pocketed half, and donated the remainder to the station in cash. Obviously that takes more effort, but... YMMV. Their car was running. An old Forester I think. But still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Can't remember if it was a change in the tax code or an IRS rule change a few years back re car donations. I think the latter. Ever since then the amount you get back for donating a vehicle is way worse than it used to be.

My dad was pissed at our local when he donated a car a year or two ago because they gave him so little back on the tax receipt. Said he could've sold the car for double, pocketed half, and donated the remainder to the station in cash. Obviously that takes more effort, but... YMMV. Their car was running. An old Forester I think. But still.
    Yeah - I think the rule now is that you get a deduction for the actual amount that they auction it for... which seems like the correct method.

Did your dad yell at the local station to get off his lawn?