Page 90 of 132 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 3295
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    4/26 - king's peak in a day. 16 hours car to car (slow as fuck, i know - but the snow was unconsolidated and unsupportable and thigh deep for most of it) - 28 miles or so, i'd guess probably around 22 with skins on, since the snow was too unconsolidated to skate for most of it. .
    Strong work! That would have been 2 overnights for me

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Kings in a day without petro-assistance is a savage trek. Beats doing it in the summer but not by much...
    I've done it in the summer in a day. It took 8 hours and I'm not very fast. Dragging boots/skis/skins along that route through deep unconsolidated and unsupportable snow sounds far worse. Even under ideal winter travel conditions I'm not sure I'd want to ski Kings in a day. The approach:ski ratio is horrendous. Setting up a base camp in upper Henry Fork and spending a few days ticking off lines would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've done it in the summer in a day. It took 8 hours and I'm not very fast. Dragging boots/skis/skins along that route through deep unconsolidated and unsupportable snow sounds far worse. Even under ideal winter travel conditions I'm not sure I'd want to ski Kings in a day. The approach:ski ratio is horrendous. Setting up a base camp in upper Henry Fork and spending a few days ticking off lines would be a different story.
    8 hours is great time, are you kidding me??

also i agree, i'll never, ever do king's in a day again, but i definitely would love to spent a few days in the basin ticking off lines. same goes for red castle.

i think i honestly made no more than 15 turns the entire way; i had my skimo skis on and i did NOT want to get hurt ~14 miles from TH, so i did a lot of sideslipping and survival skiing down the technical parts. an average of 1 turn for every 2 miles traveled would be a very fair estimate.

HELLO, ALTA SKIERS

I hope that this message reaches each of you in good spirits and in good health. Last Sunday marked the day when we had originally planned to turn off the lifts until next winter. As you are well aware, on March 14th, 2020, the Coronavirus pandemic brought an abrupt end to another great ski season at Alta. While the pandemic has not allowed us to operate the ski lifts, we were able to keep the ski area open to uphill traffic, provide base area restrooms and continue some limited grooming. I hope you had the opportunity to responsibly enjoy the beauty, charm and magic of Alta under the unique circumstances of this spring.

The Coronavirus pandemic has significantly altered our individual lives and there is much uncertainty regarding its future impact on our day-to-day lifestyles, the economy and next winter’s ski season. Even as I write this message, most states are currently under some form of a stay-at-home ordinance. Given these uncertainties, now is not the right time to ask Alta skiers to purchase season passes for the 2020-21 season. Please know that we will announce 2020-21 season pass prices before pricing deadlines of other major season pass products.

We recognize that each Alta passholder’s expectations and circumstances relating to the 2019-20 ski season vary and we are in the process of calculating passholder credits based upon the price paid and days skied. These credits will be available later this year for you to use to purchase passes for next season. Our intent is to provide a reasonable and fair approach that can be applied to the wide variety of circumstances of our Alta passholders. Please be patient with us as we work through these uncharted waters.

I look forward to next winter and hope that our Alta community will once again be able to enjoy the beauty and magic of skiing at Alta.

Stay Healthy and Be Well,

Mike Maughan

Please tell me you mean 8 hours one way cause an 8 hours round trip is pretty damn fast... FKT is around 4:30 car to car from Henry's fk TH and that's pro-level-ultra-runner fast. I did it in about 13 or so hours RT when I first moved to UT and that was a pretty good beatdown. To me the benefits of doing it in the winter were the absence of bugs, people, and heinous talus. The skiing itself was short and shitty but the snow was stiff and we skated a lot of it, it went by relatively fast. No matter how you cut it that's a ton of miles to cover in ski boots though and my feet were trashed for a long time!

I would LOVE to set up camp up there and tick lines though, everywhere you look there's something rad to ski. There was an insta-TR/sprayfest from some bros earlier this winter who skied the Red Castle couloir, that's another area of the high Uintas that would warrant a visit.

Please tell me you mean 8 hours one way cause an 8 hours round trip is pretty damn fast... FKT is around 4:30 car to car from Henry's fk TH and that's pro-level-ultra-runner fast. I did it in about 13 or so hours RT when I first moved to UT and that was a pretty good beatdown. To me the benefits of doing it in the winter were the absence of bugs, people, and heinous talus.
    That talus near the summit was sketch. Nothing seemed consolidated and even huge rocks moved on you all the time. Did it mid-September so no bugs. 8 hrs RT, maybe more like 8.5 IIRC. Not slow, but not fast in any true sense of the word, though we did spend almost an hour enjoying the view on the summit. I had run the Speedgoat earlier that summer and was in pretty good shape.

edit: found the TR: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...89#post2976489

That talus near the summit was sketch. Nothing seemed consolidated and even huge rocks moved on you all the time. Did it mid-September so no bugs. 8 hrs RT, maybe more like 8.5 IIRC. Not slow, but not fast in any true sense of the word, though we did spend almost an hour enjoying the view on the summit. I had run the Speedgoat earlier that summer and was in pretty good shape.

edit: found the TR: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...89#post2976489
    fucking badass, dude. 8:25 is solid, solid time. faster than 3miles/hour for the whole thing.

and yeah boissal, i wish we could have skated. my god. anything would have been better than the wallowing we did. but skating on unsupportable snow is terrifying; every 5th time i would push off my ski would break thru and i would tumble forward in the most spectacular, terrible fashion. not a thing. that and the sun made it feel like it was honestly 80 degrees.

i would go up to redcastle though in a heartbeat - just need to rent sleds for the way in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429-01.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	858.3 KB 
ID:	326843

hit 300k' on the season this morning. had to bring it in with a nice airy ramp like last year. pretty firm on the north half. winds at 11k' < 5mph.

Name:	20200429-02.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	326844

Name:	20200429-02poin5.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	326845

Name:	20200429-04.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	326846

Proud work, that's a lot of days out and a lot of skinning in the dark! My hips are giving me enough trouble that I think the fat lady may be getting warmed up to sing the end of the season for me. More vert but fewer days than last year, that's just not acceptable...

Beautiful day but I can do without these temps forcing a way too early start.

Attachment 326866

Attachment 326868

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

Name:	20200429-01.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	858.3 KB 
ID:	326843
    hit 300k' on the season this morning. had to bring it in with a nice airy ramp like last year. pretty firm on the north half. winds at 11k' < 5mph.
    We skied the ramp in really good conditions a few weeks ago... it looked a lot gnarlier today. Congrats on 300K.

Attachment 326865

^^^ Dresden?? Damn! How did it ski? Did the cliff sneaks still go? When I skied it in March it went ropeless with a traverse around the 1st cliff and some aggressive straightlining to go through the lower one, can't imagine that choke fared too well with the temps we've had.

^ Nice corn on the face but the window between firm and falling apart is soooo small. The cliffs no longer go. We had to downclimb the middle cliffs and then skirted the lower cliffs. The second pic is the little chute between Dresden and The Sliver.

that's a badass score. what time was the E corned up? the ramp was a bit firmer than I'd have liked lol

A little before 9AM. We were hoping for colder/firmer with elevation but the sun this time of year...

yeah. I'm amazed how well the low elev is hanging on, but it'll go quick now. S faces too. guess I'd better make my obligatory annual journey into upper days sooner than later

yeah. I'm amazed how well the low elev is hanging on, but it'll go quick now. S faces too. guess I'd better make my obligatory annual journey into upper days sooner than later
    So far this spring has been lacking those long stretches of high pressure (at least up here), allowing those nightly re-freezes to occur. We just had our warmest couple days of the year so far, but it seems like there is always a colder front on the horizon.

Fantastic shots by the way, and I mean that for everyone. Looks like the spring harvest has been paying off mightily.

Wow, looks like it was 51F at 0200 last night at 9700' up at Alta. The melt is on for sure now...hope those colder temps return soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Wow, looks like it was 51F at 0200 last night at 9700' up at Alta. The melt is on for sure now...hope those colder temps return soon.
    yeah annoyingly the south facing stuff wasn't as consolidated as I'd have expected (not having skied S facing since... march 2?) and with the silly temps overnight this morning was kind of dumb.

that stuff across the road from alta is gonna melt fast. north facing isn't going anywhere for a while, though the white pine th will probably take a beating and days will finally melt out

Name:	20200430-00.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	326929

pretty morning at least

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I told MW earlier that I was trying to plan another Great Basin corn venture and gave up because the refreeze line for the coming week is above 13,000' out there. There's a SNOTEL at just over 10,000 on Wheeler that has been hitting 60 degrees every afternoon this week with overnight lows around 50 degrees. It's so depressing I've taken the road bike out and went up BCC without skis yesterday. Riding by a completely bare Cardiff lot ripped a piece of my soul off. Then I froze my balls off coming down and realized there is still a tiny bit of hope.

Yeah, I haven't skied since Sunday. Its partly because I bought a camper that is going to be a huge project and that consumed me all of tuesday and wednesday, but I'm not going to lie, my motivation is waning a little faster than usual.

Next week looks cooler though, especially up high! I'm hoping that gives us some corn 4 breakfast.

don't let the dream die, boys and girls. there's still plenty of shenanigans to get into...

I told MW earlier that I was trying to plan another Great Basin corn venture and gave up because the refreeze line for the coming week is above 13,000' out there. There's a SNOTEL at just over 10,000 on Wheeler that has been hitting 60 degrees every afternoon this week with overnight lows around 50 degrees. It's so depressing I've taken the road bike out and went up BCC without skis yesterday. Riding by a completely bare Cardiff lot ripped a piece of my soul off. Then I froze my balls off coming down and realized there is still a tiny bit of hope.
    Your post about snow being 25% of last year out there surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Your post about snow being 25% of last year out there surprised me.
    Right? Either last year was a monster of this year really sucks out there... The SNOTEL reporting data is misbehving right now so I can't get the median to show on the graph but this is the 2019 vs 2020 SWE at 10k on Wheeler:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  47.1 KB

I was out there at the peak in late April but it looks like they had some serious action in late May, you said you skied it in June?

June 8th last year from the overlook. The road to the upper campground wasn’t open yet.

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	809.2 KB 
ID:	326959

don't let the dream die, boys and girls. there's still plenty of shenanigans to get into...
    ^ for sure. pretty soft, pretty early this morning. early next week should be fun.