Page 87 of 132 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 3295
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Does anyone know what happened between po po and snowboarders today at B-RIGHT-ON? Just caught something on the news where the cop was right in in the face of a poacher. The poacher asked for social distancing. The answered with superlatives...
    not beyond the ksl article, but afaik brighton is still closed to uphill, and that dude has been posting a lot up of instagram stuff from up there in the resort (colliding with a chairlift for example)

That chairlift video was brutal. Was going to post it but it appears he deleted it from his instagram.

@flaskaryan is his handle

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    afaik brighton is still closed to uphill
    the real question is why is brighton still closed to uphill traffic? wouldn't yesterday have been their closing day? seems like a good amount of people aren't obeying that rule but i have stayed away out of respect for the resort and to avoid interactions that boarder bro had. the reason given for the up hill closure on brighton's website says "in accordance with the forest service" but then why would alta continue to allow uphill traffic? I guess i should be happy its not all closed off in utah right now like some areas in the US....

let america uphill again! these ski resorts are blocking our access to our public lands

^I chatted with a patroller at Alta today and he said the decision to open up Alta for uphill ultimately came down to a green light from the forest service and town of Alta.

That said, Alta Ski Lifts company has been really awesome to keep spending money on fuel for grooming and keep a handful of patrollers on the hill each day. Fortunately, so far ASP hasn't had to respond to a single incident...hopefully it stays that way.

Part of the agreement with the Lift Company, Town of Alta, and Forest Service is that the Lift Company has to provide public restrooms, cleaned daily, to stay open to uphill. The town was going to get outhouses but the provider would only clean them twice a week. The ski area is paying yours truly along with a handful of other people to clean the restrooms in the Skier Services offices and Albion Ticket Office five times a day, seven days a week. Without that, the Town of Alta would be open to residents only.

Methinks Brighton isn't willing to pony up the money to pay their employees to keep restrooms open when there isn't a place in town that could take money if someone was trying to give it away.

Alta is grooming to keep mountain travel easy for their employees in addition to giving backcountry users an easy way down to mitigate potential injuries. I feel badly about braaaping up the fresh corduroy but I feel worse about rolling a snowmobile down the mountain.

Thanks, Alta and tBatt for giving us a good place to get some mellow turns in close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Part of the agreement with the Lift Company, Town of Alta, and Forest Service is that the Lift Company has to provide public restrooms, cleaned daily, to stay open to uphill. The town was going to get outhouses but the provider would only clean them twice a week. The ski area is paying yours truly along with a handful of other people to clean the restrooms in the Skier Services offices and Albion Ticket Office five times a day, seven days a week. Without that, the Town of Alta would be open to residents only.

Methinks Brighton isn't willing to pony up the money to pay their employees to keep restrooms open when there isn't a place in town that could take money if someone was trying to give it away.

Alta is grooming to keep mountain travel easy for their employees in addition to giving backcountry users an easy way down to mitigate potential injuries. I feel badly about braaaping up the fresh corduroy but I feel worse about rolling a snowmobile down the mountain.
    appreciate the work you're doing! and good on alta to find create ways to keep people employed and allowing uphill access.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Thanks, Alta and tBatt for giving us a good place to get some mellow turns in close to home.
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    appreciate the work you're doing! and good on alta to find create ways to keep people employed and allowing uphill access.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Has nothing to do with keeping people employed. All the Alta employees you see around would have a job regardless, all year round folk who the company has assured have jobs. This is actually preventing employees from being able to do their actual job.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Are first responders stretched thin? I can see hospital staff, er’s, etc. but are EMT’s having remote response to Covid? I know everyone is stressed, but I think in most places, work comp and less traffic would result in them being a bit ready for action like everyone else?
    Last edited by Canada1; 04-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Are first responders stretched thin? I can hospital staff, er’s, etc. but are EMT’s having remote response to Covid? I know everyone is stressed, but I think in most places, work comp and less traffic would result in them being a bit ready for action like everyone else?
    UT has 213 hospitalizations and it looked like IHC was sending staff to NY last I saw

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Are first responders stretched thin? I can see hospital staff, er’s, etc. but are EMT’s having remote response to Covid? I know everyone is stressed, but I think in most places, work comp and less traffic would result in them being a bit ready for action like everyone else?
    Part of the worry is one patient/sick employee getting the whole crew, shift, etc. sick at the same time and impacting the ability to respond.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    UT has 213 hospitalizations and it looked like IHC was sending staff to NY last I saw
    then by all means.......send it!!!!!

PSA: Deer Valley just announced that unused local pass days will roll over into 2020-21 season. Good on them.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

That is so cool!

Hmmm... 2020-2021 Solly parking pass is $250.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

8500-9700 N facing woods very nice! just a wee bit upside down but plenty to cover the crust. no sluffing or cracking but was in a sheltered location.

would be nervous above 10K in more wind exposed terrain. plenty of snow and wind

touchier than the report suggests this morning, there is some instability within the new snow and it was running fast and far (though shallow) wherever provoked, sluff management was mandatory so heads up. a legit 10" on top of the crust at 8500' NE mill creek.

I bet that today would have been one of those days the we wait for all season in the area of Gad II, Tiger Tail, Boundary Bowl, Red Lens etc.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I bet that today would have been one of those days the we wait for all season in the area of Gad II, Tiger Tail, Boundary Bowl, Red Lens etc.
    Black Forest to organ grinder is sweet

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Good thing its mountain biking season!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200416_111811.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	325441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200416_112114.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	325442

^^^damn looks tasty

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

beat the hordes up collins gulch and had a great knee deep crust-free run down ballroom trees > near the groomer > low boy

weird density inversion for sure. saw that inch of 10% after a night of like 5% and thought that would be the case. Still skied great though.

BTW the new mediocre amateur video of Timp is a fun watch, although they make an 8k day seem like a casual stroll: https://youtu.be/ovng6RL-r6Y

And if you really want to be humbled, check out Danny Bryson's strava. Pretty much everyday he's either touring 5k'+ or running 10-25 miles. He is an animal.