WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 19-20

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Well, shit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	650.2 KB 
ID:	300105
    Nice. Looks pretty covered and you got the point going.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Today, I suffered from age pussification, I think. Last night, I was planning on hiking for turns, either at Sillytude, Alta or DV. I woke up at around 6, took out the dog, and immediately decided that -8F was too cold for a first day of marginal snow. This would not have happened in the past.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

FYI There is no uphill travel allowed at Solitude from here on out.

I read this. In previous years, we used to hike up Moonbeam pretty often before opening day with no problem. Maybe, this is a new ownership directive.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

FYI - Solitude parking pass for IKON passholders... I just purchased mine.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Today, I suffered from age pussification, I think. Last night, I was planning on hiking for turns, either at Sillytude, Alta or DV. I woke up at around 6, took out the dog, and immediately decided that -8F was too cold for a first day of marginal snow. This would not have happened in the past.
    It was fucking cold this morning. My motivation to leave my truck at Alta was low. Glad I went though!

Sorry, no pics, was too cold. Snow was better than marginal though.

"Our futures are behind us."...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Nice. Looks pretty covered and you got the point going.

22 shot burst on the iPhone, better have the damn point.

The only time I hit bottom was with an overly-aggressive pole plant.

Was gonna go back today but someone else skied it. Go figure.

0-10 day, no precip.
    11-16 day, looks like 2-3” water. Long ways out, so I guess it could change. Sounds like a less-than-ideal start to the avy season. Sounds like bike season isn’t quite over yet.

UTA is adding more buses for LCC on the Fort Union / Wasatch Blvd route #953. Also buses no longer will stop at the LCC park & ride so 994 riders will have to use the 9400 S lot. They are removing the ski racks inside the buses to add more seats although I don't think you will get more than two additional seats. Can't imagine having to sit for two or more hours holding my skis.

I'm curious to see how much time is saved by skipping the LCC lot...now that I think about it, that stop did seem to really slow things down for not much gain. Cutting back and forth across LCC had to cause some slinky effect as well from others braking for the bus.

Agree on the ski rack removal not helping much...seems like a carrot that would be worth considering is adding a public transportation building up at Alta with lockers for frequent riders. Riding the bus sans gear because you have a locker is a 1000x better experience.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

I was thinking the same thing. If I could get a locker or store my skis on site for $200 / year I would gladly pay that.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 19-20

Yup. Resorts want to push taking the bus like its this easy eco friendly thing but then you are supposed to pay $3+ just to put your shoes in a locker? Snowbird doesn't even give you a good place to set your shoes.

I'd also take the bus way more if I had a locker at the hill.

I always place them under the benches near the ski school offices. Never had a problem

A few from this morning. Hiked from Empire to 9000' trail to Kushings. snow was everything from 4" to `18". Fun times.

Name:	IMG_5514.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	632.7 KB 
ID:	300343

Name:	IMG_5509.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	883.7 KB 
ID:	300344

Name:	IMG_5511.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	300345

Name:	IMG_5515.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	753.3 KB 
ID:	300346

A few from this morning. Hiked from Empire to 9000' trail to Kushings. snow was everything from 4" to `18". Fun times.

Name:	IMG_5514.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	632.7 KB 
ID:	300343
    Awesome stuff! Y'all are making me jealous and envious that the wife and I decided to take a Euro vacation this week, NAWT!

Always love the early season stoke and anticipation of what's to come!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. If I could get a locker or store my skis on site for $200 / year I would gladly pay that.
    They've got yearly locker rentals in the Alta ticket office and the GMD. I think both have waiting lists but they have em.

I just go with Schindlerpiste's approach... That is stash the shoes under a bench. I used to stash my skis overnight at Alta as well in undisclosed locations but I didn't really like leaving my skis and Boots at one place in case I decide to ski elsewhere the next day....

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Awesome stuff! Y'all are making me jealous and envious that the wife and I decided to take a Euro vacation this week, NAWT!

Always love the early season stoke and anticipation of what's to come!

They've got yearly locker rentals in the Alta ticket office and the GMD. I think both have waiting lists but they have em.

I just go with Schindlerpiste's approach... That is stash the shoes under a bench. I used to stash my skis overnight at Alta as well in undisclosed locations but I didn't really like leaving my skis and Boots at one place in case I decide to ski elsewhere the next day....
    If you're in the know there are a few lockers in gmd that do not require money to grab the key. I'm talking the ones in the cafe not downstairs yearly rentals. Day lockers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    If you're in the know there are a few lockers in gmd that do not require money to grab the key. I'm talking the ones in the cafe not downstairs yearly rentals. Day lockers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yes the GMD has small lockers for your shoes and they also allow bags on top of the lockers as well as having some storage racks inside the front door for the same. Its skis that are the issue especially when someone wants the ability to switch to a different pair based on conditions.

Planning to hit Alta laps tomorrow if anybody is around. Also uphill still looks ok based on Alta website. Any G2?

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	650.2 KB 
ID:	300105
    ^^ stay light on your feet.

Name:	dry-fork.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	300457

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Yes the GMD has small lockers for your shoes and they also allow bags on top of the lockers as well as having some storage racks inside the front door for the same. Its skis that are the issue especially when someone wants the ability to switch to a different pair based on conditions.
    yep thats a kicker for sure. Mostly why i went back to one ski quiver.

Did anyone on here lose a pair of brand new Black Diamond pole baskets at Alta today? I took a cruise up there in my Hyundai Sonata and found them near Collins lift mid station

Quote Originally Posted by RXevolv View Post
    I took a cruise up there in my Hyundai Sonata

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Planning to hit Alta laps tomorrow if anybody is around. Also uphill still looks ok based on Alta website. Any G2?

Went up today and covered some ground(up to wildcat, down to angle station, up to Collins, down to supreme and up to Catherine’s and down...pretty poor route planning actually but I just wanted to explore shit instead of the typical Collins laps). They got the snow guns going on the main route to Collins, although they were spaced out, and you could avoid them. Catherine’s was good up high there. The ski down from the bottom of Catherine’s resulted in a couple core shots. There’s a decent amount of snow but the wind varied the depths a bit so stay on your toes. Everything is gonna get tracked AF tomorrow. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised at the numerous tracks everywhere around Alta.

Also the lower angle east facing zone near piss pass (I don’t know names there) had a lot of good looking turns on it. If I had to redo today, I would have just lapped that(although I don’t know exactly how it skied)