Page 64 of 132 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3295
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Not necessarily what you are looking for...but I did a few laps at Alta this morning in between work calls. Dust on crust except for a few zones getting windloaded that actually skiied fairly well. Viz was poor in the morning, improved throughout day but the sun still hadn't poked thru when I headed down around 2.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Pretty much sums up my experience at Alta/Snowbird. Still skied pretty well for 3-5 inches (3-4 by opening, another 2ish by noon). If you stuck to north-facing terrain, combined with finding those wind-loaded pockets you could get bottomless turns here and there (south-facing was major dust-on-crust; I'm looking at you, Mineral Basin). Definitely felt more like 8-10 at times, mostly due to the wind transporting snow all over. It was fun enough for me to lap Collins until close. Sun never really came out, although there were some teasers from 2 onwards.

(no idea why my pictures came out rotated...)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8375.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	317331

Name:	IMG_8377.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	985.1 KB 
ID:	317332

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    great pics on this page/excellent hunting teams!!!

>>>the government running this shit show we call LCC & BCC must think we are idiots. They could pop up a 6 story parking garage in less than 6 months, if they wanted to.. and man the road with a fleet of busses. Instead they will likely spend the cash on homeless studies and transgender education in schools.
    Yeah I'm sure all those near million dollar homes would love a 6 story garage in their view of the mtns. This is your answer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i was hopin the baron and a few thousand whiners would take the skidog the fuck outta the satch option myself
    Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    Crawling through the Canyon but the stoke is alive! Going to be mobbing around the bird today with Bob MC SFB and maybe some other TGR aficionados. Blue jacket with avy vest over it. Change for 5c is appreciated
    #didntsuck

well aside from the basshole carpet repetedly stopping and the zoom chair swinging stop in the 3 doors hoods made me glad #bobbarseverylap
    bigsky called the hut game needs work
    but ft royal did git dug

knee droppin groms

scored sums untracked corn from the powturd hq down to the beacon park
    they (targets) dont seem to be registering probe strikes if anyone at the corp cares
    good to ski ya kids
    seasonal cheers

and sumthins for the whiners

strong work gittin after it
    specially the dolphin and oly
    as crackhead called em
    ski what you see when you pee
    stuffs
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Name:	20200225-01.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	317360

pretty cold but the wind did die down

Name:	20200225-03.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	317361

Name:	20200225-05.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	317363

a little character building even on due north, 1-2" on a variable base

Name:	20200225-06.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	317364

it goes, though you gotta sneak left around the choke

edit: loved the skinner up the gut of piece of pie btw...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah I'm sure all those near million dollar homes would love a 6 story garage in their view of the mtns. This is your answer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Think starting with the easiest solution first without building a bunch of infrastructure...Mandatory carpool on weekends/holidays/highsnow closure days, no single drivers allowed up.

6 story garage seems a bit excessive but if resorts added 1 level above their existing lots would be enough to get cars off the road and into the resorts faster...but that costs them money and stuff.

The idea that you could quickly and efficiently fill a 6-level parking garage on a powder-panic Saturday morning is a bit comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The idea that you could quickly and efficiently fill a 6-level parking garage on a powder-panic Saturday morning is a bit comical.
    Some New Jersey tourist in a rental Camry is bound to get jammed up at the mouth of the thing, and then it's all game over. I guarantee it.

also, nice job mall walker!! pictures look stunning.

Mandatory carpool on weekends/holidays/high snow rate (canyon closure)days is a way better solution and doesn't cost anyone anything...well would have to have a cop at the canyon but they are usually there anyways checking tires and stuff.... it would definitely help with congestion, depending on how cray cray congestion gets you could implement a 2 or even 3 person mandatory per car. Sanctioned/designated hitchhiker pickup areas/pullout could be a cool idea too, think encouraging people to pick up singles or asking for rides could be promoted more in the canyons, get friendly ya know ....see if that has an impact before everyone starts building garages and trains and shit.

Or loading a train going down with 5-7500 people (or maybe 10,000?? how many people ski both LCC resorts on crowded weekends?) in the late afternoon after skiing. With gear. Should be a nice-3-5 hour wait.

LOL, the Ikon pass isnt working at Alta today. They are all pissed off having to wait in a separate line. Classic!!

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

And how long are those separate lines? Like what's the spitball percentage of Ikoners up there today?

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    LOL, the Ikon pass isnt working at Alta today. They are all pissed off having to wait in a separate line. Classic!!
    I have this pass and LOL. The one day I used it at Alta I was getting some buddy tickets for friends and the ticket counter person was explaining to me that they only did combo AltaBird tickets for the Ikon discount. Out of nowhere some aggro middle aged dude runs right up to me and starts loudly demanding "what about Ikon?? is there a problem with Ikon??" and just generally being rude and annoying. I sure hope that dude is up there today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    The jersey boy is correct on this one. The residents of cottonwood heights have opposed large parking lots for at least 26 years now.... Below is a Deseret News opinion piece my friend who works in the Utah ski industry shared with me from 1984.

Name:  deseret news opinion piece.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  40.6 KB

Also, its nice to note that traffic in the canyons has been an on going problem for about 30 years. And the Utah legislature does not give a shit about the outdoor industry despite it being one of the largest industries in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Or loading a train going down with 5-7500 people (or maybe 10,000?? how many people ski both LCC resorts on crowded weekends?) in the late afternoon after skiing. With gear. Should be a nice-3-5 hour wait.
    Building 1 level above their existing lots would double parking and wouldn't be an eyesore for anyone. With an entrance to each of the upper and lower lots it would double the rate at which resorts could load cars off from the canyon roads.

I don't want more people to be able to go up the canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Building 1 level above their existing lots would double parking and wouldn't be an eyesore for anyone. With an entrance to each of the upper and lower lots it would double the rate at which resorts could load cars off from the canyon roads.
    Increasing the parking capacity at the resorts will only contribute to more congestion on and off the slopes and encourage more people to drive up solo. Not to mention the resorts probably aren't into it since they would be footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I don't want more people to be able to go up the canyon.
    Not necessarily more people, less cars. And get cars from parking alongside the road....Obviously resorts are selling more passes then they can accommodate

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Increasing the parking capacity at the resorts will only contribute to more congestion on and off the slopes and encourage more people to drive up solo. Not to mention the resorts probably aren't into it since they would be footing the bill.
    True, which is why I believe a mandatory carpool for weekends/holidays and high rate snow days is a much better solution. Same amount of people with less cars. If you read my lasts posts i already mentioned that infrastructure should be a last resort and costs money.

Adding 1 level above the existing lots isnt about getting more people at the resort but getting people into the resort faster and from parking along side the roads. but yeah it costs money etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i l aside from the basshole carpet repetedly stopping and the zoom chair swinging stop in the 3 doors hoods made me glad #bobbarseverylap

good to ski ya kids
    seasonal cheers

and sumthins for the whiners

strong work gittin after it
    specially the dolphin and oly
    as crackhead called em
    ski what you see when you pee
    stuffs
    Thanks for the good times gents

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    The jersey boy is correct on this one. The residents of cottonwood heights have opposed large parking lots for at least 26 years now.... Below is a Deseret News opinion piece my friend who works in the Utah ski industry shared with me from 1984.

Name:  deseret news opinion piece.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  40.6 KB

Also, its nice to note that traffic in the canyons has been an on going problem for about 30 years. And the Utah legislature does not give a shit about the outdoor industry despite it being one of the largest industries in Utah.
    Id say they dont give a shit about the SKIING portion of the outdoor industry. I think they like the summer tourons better. They stay south usually.

But yeah none of those rich mormon folk that live near the mouth would ever allow a 6 story anything. Im sure they get pissy about the little UTA lot.

Incoming...I'll be flapping my lanyard around the canyons beginning Friday-ish. Hoping for some steep chalk, cold beer and skiing with friends. I'll find the usual suspect and keep ya'll updated.

Toll road? Or has that already been mentioned? Too much of a "tax" on the poor idea?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

For the first time this season I made the mistake of driving up LCC after 7AM on a weekend. Fucking hell... I hope I never start skiing at the resorts again, I'd rage myself to death on the road for sure.

[beginspray]

Avi green light + stiff snow means it's time to get to the top of tall stuff then go down the steepest and most contrived route. It's dumb season in the Wasatch!
    Tickling the glide cracks at sunrise:

Name:	IMG_20200222_075032.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	891.8 KB 
ID:	317375

The N ridge from the top of Bonkers is by far the best way to the Twins IMO. It can be a wallow in spots and probably takes a bit longer than the E face but if you want exposed semi-technical shenanigans with great views and dislike conga-lines of spandexed aggros racing for the fastest Strava time it's THE way to go:

Name:	IMG_20200222_083611.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	317376

Name:	IMG_20200222_084630.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	317394

Name:	IMG_20200222_092525.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	317395

As a side-note, booting up the E face was cool until it became as popular as the Y. Now it's a game of dodging people who are standing in the gut complaining that you're skiing on top of them. At one point I counted 10 scattered all over the face! Considering the skiing level of some of the beaters we saw that day I wouldn't be surprised if someone turned into a bowling ball up high and took out a few human pins on the way down. Save that shit for spring weekdays if your crowd-tolerance is low.

Tanners looking all peaceful now that all 3500' of it slid across the road:

Name:	IMG_20200222_115507.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	317378

Bit of a steep wallow up the S face, good thing it stayed cold at 11k:

Name:	IMG_20200222_115905.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	317396

Walking the sky plank to the top of Drom, one of my favorite spots in the range:

Name:	IMG_20200222_121831.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	317379

We halfheartedly looked for a way into Firing Squad, purely to antagonize mallwalker. Sanity (and a hefty dose of fear) dictated a less radical route into MillB. Of note, the NE face of Drom is not quite ready yet and required some creative "skiing" to get through this:

Name:	IMG_20200222_125711.jpg 
Views:	119 
ID:	317397

Who needs edges anyway?
    Had to go back up for an Athey's:

Name:	IMG_20200222_133302.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	317380

Back at it Sunday with more scenic slogging. The Cleaver is looking more filled in than I've ever seen it. The cliff on the E couloir of Lone (not visible in this pic) is still quite girthy though...

Name:	IMG_20200223_123825.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	317381

Getting started with the day's gnar. We love trees:

Name:	IMG_20200223_131520.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	317382

Then it got steep but the captain of the Bad Idea Gang doesn't care, he just charges:

Name:	IMG_20200223_134016_1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	317385

Name:	IMG_20200223_133041_1.jpg 
Views:	70 
ID:	317383

Things got a bit complicated at that point. The sky ramp we wanted to ski looked as wide and flat as I-15 from across the canyon but turned out to be narrow, fluted, completely off camber, and steep as shit. It was also the edge of a cliff that was significantly bigger than expected. And the snow looked like it was changing from cardboard to shiny glaze. Nowhere to go but away from the comfort zone and across the gut:

Name:	IMG_20200223_140013.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	317384

Told you we love trees:

Name:	IMG_20200223_143250.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	317387

The rope went on several walks this month and never came out of my pack. We'd have been severely fucked without it on this outing and the stains in my underwear would have been even more plentiful:

Name:	IMG_20200223_144441dd.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	317393

It probably goes without the rap but I'm not sure how to get a wheelbarrow to that spot to carry the massive testicles you'd need....
    Full gas after the crux, it looks so mellow from below.

Name:	IMG_20200223_151104_2.jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	317390

Standard Coalpit exit shenanigans:

Name:	IMG_20200223_153800.jpg 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	317392

[/endspray]

^ fuckin rad

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Incoming...I'll be flapping my lanyard around the canyons beginning Friday-ish. Hoping for some steep chalk, cold beer and skiing with friends. I'll find the usual suspect and keep ya'll updated.
    Have fun, have you been back since Park City ate the Canyons/ParkWest/Wolf Mountain? Its huuudge and well, Vaily