Page 74 of 132 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 3295
    hahaha nice, thanks man, I may hit you up. mounting up some heavies this time... assuming the fedex truck shows up anyway. wild times. anyone needing their ski fix who wants to wake up dumbass early I’m happy to tour with, I might keep my gloves on and fist bump over handshake cuz the mrs has a little mall walker cooking, but the seasons barely half done so I’m gonna be out there early unless all travel is banned. and probably even if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    hahaha nice, thanks man, I may hit you up. mounting up some heavies this time... assuming the fedex truck shows up anyway. wild times. anyone needing their ski fix who wants to wake up dumbass early I’m happy to tour with, I might keep my gloves on and fist bump over handshake cuz the mrs has a little mall walker cooking, but the seasons barely half done so I’m gonna be out there early unless all travel is banned. and probably even if it is.
    If you come down to dibs' hit me up, I live right down the hill. I'll come have a beer with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    cuz the mrs has a little mall walker cooking, but the seasons barely half done so I’m gonna be out there early unless all travel is banned. and probably even if it is.
    congratulations!! and we have a ways to go assuming no bans

Basin just called it for the year. I get it, but this is so depressing.

From skiutah:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 2.48.30 PM.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	320424
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

^ Something of a party atmosphere in the BCC today. Spun a few laps at the Nordic center breaking (skating) new trail trying to remember where the old groomer was after the wind and snow covered everything last night. Just like setting a skinner if you break people will follow, although given the full parking lot by the time I left they were probably going to do that anyway.

Lots of people walking uphill at Brighton so even though skiutah says no uphill travel plenty of folks hitting it everywhere. Solitude had a truck out front turning people away and it's their property their right, but the mountain belongs to us, so it would be nice if they were a lot more chill about people using their main lot when they're closed (more generally, outside the regular season).

Curious to see how the various resorts handle uphill travel under these circumstances as time goes on, especially if/when they announce they're officially closed for the season.

Found great snow out there on N aspects this afternoon.

Was bizarre to be in LCC in March with no resort traffic. Not sure why the busses were even running today, didnt see a single person in any of them. Wouldnt want to be a bus driver in these times, either!

Felt like a busy weekend day in the backcountry but nothing too crazy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200315_124540.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	320433

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 19-20

Not sure if everyone went to Grizzly but I actually felt like that was probably the quietest weekend day I've had all season. Hit a few different shots in Days and Cardiff and really didn't see very many people or tracks at all. Surprisingly great snow too.

no tracks in 2 dogs at 1pm? Weird. Our first sign it was going to be a good day.

No tracks yet today in the Hallway either. This choke had some chunder from yesterdays traffic but it was fresh wind buff above and below it, all the way to the creek.
    Last edited by dfinn; 03-16-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Wouldnt want to be a bus driver in these times, either!
    A weird day at the end of the road for sure. No skiing for me but all of a sudden we're partying like its Frank and none of my friends have homes or jobs.

Those heinous winds sent me right back to bed after a 5AM start on Sunday morning but after a few hours sitting on ass at home I lost it and went for a crust-sampling sunset outing. Seemed like a perfect time to ski Superior without the usual conga line of aggro bros ticking line #1 of their Flailing Gallery life goal. The wind damn near blew me into Cardiff before reaching the Black Knob but things calmed down a bit and were downright peaceful on the summit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200315_184153.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	320555

Snow conditions were not as bad as one would expect with the cold wind happily refreezing anything the sun managed to soften. Sure beats not skiing though, and the apron was actually glorious. Bird and Alta are probably hopeful they'll re-open at some point, they haven't put the moguls into storage yet.

Name:	IMG_20200315_192400.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	320557

Name:	IMG_20200315_191337.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	320558

Felt like May up there when the season is slowly dying down, expect this time the snowpack is at its peak. Mixed feelings for me, as much as I hate the crowds the eerily empty scene is a bit disturbing. The few people I ran into were psyched to be out, skiing is obviously the best way to maintain one's sanity in there trying times. I scored this sweet duckie at the bottom of Sup, I'm taking it as a sign that jeebus is still looking favorably upon people sliding on snow.

Name:	IMG_20200315_190429.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	320560

You went so late, did you pass by mallwalker during his ascent/ your descent ? Or is he not quite that early
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    You went so late, did you pass by mallwalker during his ascent/ your descent ? Or is he not quite that early
    HA! He was probably on his way up to White Pine to start his day for sure...

overslept today... planning on making up for it tonight

With the SL County restaurant ban that would be another reason for local resorts not to reopen. Its bad enough that season pass holders aren't buying tickets now they can't even buy lunch.

I give the resorts zero chance of reopening. Maybe bird in June? Skied rainbow peak today and snow was good. Suprised how few people were out

Hoping for Bird in late May or June as well. Mostly cause I'm hoping life is normal-ish by then.

Would have liked to get out today but was stocking up on supplies and helping the wife out with some stuff.

Picked up a few extra shifts (healthcare) but hoping to still be able to make some turns next week.

Stay strong and safe friends.

Spoke with a couple shops today that said they are selling tons of AT gear. I'm concerned we could have some close calls or worse with this next storm cycle.

Good snow above 8500' N facing today. Pretty rough below that.

Name:	20200316_120334.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	320700

sure didn’t seem like the bc was crowded this morning... saw 2 lamps in cardiff from the days ridge. only 2 other vehicles at spruces when I left. trailheads mostly empty.

Name:	IMG_2893.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	320732

pretty sunrise, with the high north still pretty good, considering the last time it snowed anyway

^nice!

Kinda a long read and nothing earth shattering, but I found the local references interesting: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...the-avalanche?

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Spoke with a couple shops today that said they are selling tons of AT gear. I'm concerned we could have some close calls or worse with this next storm cycle.
    I bet the Wasatch BC will be a complete zoo with this storm and people getting lanched is a distinct possibility. As soon as things warm up a bit and dry out in the valley though it will go back to being a complete desert. People start getting exciting about biking and climbing by mid to late March around here and only remember skiing when we get a random April or May dry storm. I don't expect the occasional BC skier who toured less than 10 times this season to suddenly become a rabid uphill walker and keep it up until May. These peeps will go out a couple times on their new setup, quickly realize touring is 98% walking and 2% skiing, get annoyed that they have no clue how to get to the rad terrain they saw all winter on the 'gram, and move on to more rewarding pursuits.
    The majority of people I've met who are way into BC skiing get out 10 times a season at most and will not consider any trailhead other than Alta. They love the thought of BC skiing, the reality of it not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The majority of people I've met who are way into BC skiing get out 10 times a season at most and will not consider any trailhead other than Alta. They love the thought of BC skiing, the reality of it not so much.
    Are they really "way into BC skiing" then?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Are they really "way into BC skiing" then?
    yea they are, just ask em

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    #earnthemturns #skiuphill #wayintobackcuntryskiing

But in all seriousness I will be way more into backcountry skiing this spring lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I bet the Wasatch BC will be a complete zoo with this storm and people getting lanched is a distinct possibility. As soon as things warm up a bit and dry out in the valley though it will go back to being a complete desert. People start getting exciting about biking and climbing by mid to late March around here and only remember skiing when we get a random April or May dry storm. I don't expect the occasional BC skier who toured less than 10 times this season to suddenly become a rabid uphill walker and keep it up until May. These peeps will go out a couple times on their new setup, quickly realize touring is 98% walking and 2% skiing, get annoyed that they have no clue how to get to the rad terrain they saw all winter on the 'gram, and move on to more rewarding pursuits.
    I guess I’m good since I got 5 days in BC before they opened resorts. Five to go to be a bro brah

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    No need to ask, people usually let you know. BC skiing is the veganism of snow sports
    When people ask me where I ski these days I mumble and wave my hand in the general directions of the canyons. Getting more specific usually means I'll have to sit through the tale of their last USA Bowl death march and subsequent FWT-worthy shred.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I guess I’m good since I got 5 days in BC before they opened resorts. Five to go to be a bro brah
    The second you hit 10 touring days your dong automatically grows by an inch. The downside is that all your pants will get skin tight and you'll suddenly agonize over the fact that your bindings could be 15 grams lighter. PER SKI!