Page 114 of 132 FirstFirst ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 3295
    Gonna be a very interesting ski season. Both in bounds and out here in Utah.

Sounds like snowbird and alta intend to limit parking as a way to limit people on the slopes which will likely mean they'll be shutting down the canyon like they did on busy weekends this past season when they "ran out of parking." I'm guessing there will be limited backcountry skier parking in Alta this year, maybe shutting down the grizzly lot like they did this past spring? Doesn't seem like the Utah ski industry cares how these actions will impact backcountry skiers and I predict we will see them close LCC and maybe BCC more often for "avalanche reasons" and to limit the amount of people on the slopes. I think we're going to see more restrictions then the free for all that we saw this past spring as far as access to the canyons. Some other things I heard is that brighton will be doing tiered pricing for day tickets, in that they will get progressively less as the day goes on. Pow Mow isn't running the bus for powder country and that will be only hike/skin terrain / last lap of the day.

At least that's what I heard through the pipeline..... Anyone else hearing any mumblings about how the ski season will play out next year? or how resorts are planning to operate in a pandemic world?

From what I've heard through the grapevine, there is a lot of (warranted) concern about what closures/interlodge, especially unexpected ones, will look like in LCC. Driving up at 0500 to beat the closure in the GMD may not be a thing.

But hey, I'm moving back to Colorado so I'll bet it snows a shit ton here this year.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Some other things I heard is that brighton will be doing tiered pricing for day tickets, in that they will get progressively less as the day goes on. ?
    Any word on why Brighton paused selling passes?

Snowbird was selling a parking pass this spring and has since stopped selling them.

Gonna be a very interesting ski season. Both in bounds and out here in Utah.

Sounds like snowbird and alta intend to limit parking as a way to limit people on the slopes which will likely mean they'll be shutting down the canyon like they did on busy weekends this past season when they "ran out of parking." I'm guessing there will be limited backcountry skier parking in Alta this year, maybe shutting down the grizzly lot like they did this past spring? Doesn't seem like the Utah ski industry cares how these actions will impact backcountry skiers and I predict we will see them close LCC and maybe BCC more often for "avalanche reasons" and to limit the amount of people on the slopes. I think we're going to see more restrictions then the free for all that we saw this past spring as far as access to the canyons. Some other things I heard is that brighton will be doing tiered pricing for day tickets, in that they will get progressively less as the day goes on. Pow Mow isn't running the bus for powder country and that will be only hike/skin terrain / last lap of the day.
    The idea of reducing parking and general access to limit skiers in the canyons is going to be a disaster. Are they going to run skier buses at 50% capacity? I shudder imagining what the park-and-ride lots will look like on a Saturday pow day. I'd put good money down on someone in line trying to behead someone with their skis before January.

Run of the mill Alta employees received an email yesterday from Mike Maughan that basically gave zero information on what their plan is. Here's a little excerpt:
    So, what’s the plan? Alta will operate according to the CDC, Salt Lake County Health Department and Town of Alta guidelines. Alta Ski Area is actively putting together a Winter Operations Plan with the goal to remain open all winter. We continue to monitor the changing pandemic landscape and the conditions under which businesses are allowed to operate. I recognize that Alta will need to do things differently and I have confidence in our management team’s ability to adapt and adjust our operations to do everything possible to keep the ski area open. Our top concern is the safety of our employees and our Alta skiers. Although the world is changing, our mission statement is the same, “We are in the business of providing authentic skiing experiences in a natural mountain environment.”
    So basically a bunch of marketing BS with no real information. If other resorts around the country are pushing for reservation systems and the mountains around SLC don't, it is going to be a shit show of Ikonic proportions.

didn't someone say a few weeks/months back that alta was going to release their operating plan in october?

Limiting parking as a way to control skier numbers makes no sense. You limit skiers not parked cars.

I don't believe buses at 50% capacity works either. Every other row and only family members sharing a seat would be closer to 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    didn't someone say a few weeks/months back that alta was going to release their operating plan in october?

I would be very interested in this... esp after the price of the alta bird pass...

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    I would be very interested in this... esp after the price of the alta bird pass...
    When I called the office to confirm that 10 day cards are also covered by the December 31st full refund policy I was told mid October.

Talk about a rock and a hard place. Risk the state, county coming down on you for not following guidelines and or skiers asking for their money back. Screwed either way...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Limiting parking as a way to control skier numbers makes no sense. You limit skiers not parked cars.
    It has worked pretty well in the past. I am often pleasantly surprised at how quiet weekend pow days have been after the first hour or two..... it's 'cause the lots fill up and nobody else can come up.

Relief finally: looks like next Sunday the heatwave ends , high of 84 for SLC, low in the mid 50s

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Any word on why Brighton paused selling passes?
    I'm not sure why. they did have one of the best covid refund policies I thought when they rolled out their 20/21 passes.....

I'm not in attendance at these meetings, I just get bits and pieces leaked to me

Anyone know a slumlord in the SL, UT valley with a dogfriendly 2BR opening any time soon?

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I'm not sure why. they did have one of the best covid refund policies I thought when they rolled out their 20/21 passes.....

I'm not in attendance at these meetings, I just get bits and pieces leaked to me
    Boyne did that to all of their resorts, east and west. Don't have an answer as to why, but they said ahead of time they would be doing so. You'd think they will make available again this fall, kinda like leaving money on the table I would think if they don't. The only reason to stop sales is to have some control over volume, IMO, during times that are unpredictable AF

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Down View Post
    The only reason to stop sales is to have some control over volume, IMO, during times that are unpredictable AF
    I think that is why. Waiting to see what happens like most of the country.

But why limit passes? In hopes day passes are more profitable and/or easier to control, since you never know when pass holders will decide to come up?

They may open up sales of passes later, but a lot of regulars will have bought passes elsewhere by then. Who will wait to see if they do, maybe the discounts will not be offered in the fall, and then they miss the pre-season discounts in all the neighboring resorts? The procrastinating park people ain't going to Alta/SB/Solly though.

What I'm getting at is, I bought a midweek pass there and I'm thinking I may be very happy with this decision. I bought it as a hedge against a bad snow year at Snowbasin, but now it's a completely different kinda hedge I didn't realize. Unless I'm missing something and I feel like I have no clue what's really going on.

Limiting parking as a way to control skier numbers makes no sense. You limit skiers not parked cars

Rumor is Alta isn't allowed to limit capacity on the mountain because it's forest service land, that's why they're limiting parking, because they do have control over that. Although it's Alta Ski Lift Company so you'd think they could control how many people get on the lifts.

Gonna be interesting for sure. Hopefully I still have a job come MLK weekend.

Also, which one of you is this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3328.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	337944

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I have no clue what's really going on.
    Welcome to the club, brotha.
    No one does.
    Uncharted waters...
    Just hoping that bullwheels spin and keep spinning this winter,
    so we all can get our fix...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Hopefully I still have a job come MLK weekend.
    Hope you do, too, cuz that will mean bullwheels are spinning!
    Nice to hear your keyboard, Ted...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Rumor is Alta isn't allowed to limit capacity on the mountain because it's forest service land, that's why they're limiting parking, because they do have control over that. Although it's Alta Ski Lift Company so you'd think they could control how many people get on the lifts.

Gonna be interesting for sure. Hopefully I still have a job come MLK weekend.
    If this is the case it will be the biggest shit show of all time with skiers scrambling to get a parking spot at 5:00 AM. Heard a rumor that the GMD has decided not to have the cafe open, can anyone confirm? P Dog bar will be for guests only.

Might be a good year to ski Pow Mow and Eagle Pt

Also, which one of you is this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3328.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	337944
    Not me i drive an Anti-Dentite Tacoma!

"Im pretty sure he converted just for the jokes..."
    You took too much man, too much, too much

If this is the case it will be the biggest shit show of all time with skiers scrambling to get a parking spot at 5:00 AM. Heard a rumor that the GMD has decided not to have the cafe open, can anyone confirm? P Dog bar will be for guests only.
    Don’t think they’ll allowing people to beat interlodge and hang in there gmd. GMD not going to allow people in.

If Snowbird uses this tactic my decision to buy a parking pass earlier this season will have been brilliant.