Page 115 of 132 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3295
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    If this is the case it will be the biggest shit show of all time with skiers scrambling to get a parking spot at 5:00 AM. Heard a rumor that the GMD has decided not to have the cafe open, can anyone confirm? P Dog bar will be for guests only.
    A weekend pow day up there is normally the biggest shit show of all time, so we will be used to it.

If they decide that you have to reserve a spot as a passholder and day tickets will be only sold in advance: not a shit show. Maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    If Snowbird uses this tactic my decision to buy a parking pass earlier this season will have been brilliant.
    Until they announce that they are issuing refunds to everyone who purchased parking passes. Joking aside If they go with a reservation system and a capacity limit you could have a parking pass and be shut out.

[QUOTE=altacoup;6053603]Don’t think they’ll allowing people to beat interlodge and hang in there gmd. GMD not going to allow people .

So the GMD cafe is not going to be open period,??

So the GMD cafe is not going to be open period,??
    Just chatted with someone in the know on this. The Cafe is planning on being open. What that will look like in actuality is still being figured out. But, I would bet good money that driving up canyon to wait out interlodge at the GMD is not going to be a thing this year.

Earlier this summer they said only paying guests would be allowed in the cafe, so that still seems to be the plan.

"where do we put hundreds of skiers who dont have a room in town when interlodge happens?" is the million dollar question and while the answer is totally conjecture right now,
    Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace
    driving up canyon to wait out interlodge at the GMD is not going to be a thing this year.
    is very likely true
    Last edited by Lone Star; 08-24-2020 at 07:40 PM.

does town of alta have any ordinances against running a propane fire pit? just bought one for the RV, but realizing it could make outdoor lunch and apres way better this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    does town of alta have any ordinances against running a propane fire pit? just bought one for the RV, but realizing it could make outdoor lunch and apres way better this winter.
    GMD has a large gas grill on their deck for burgers. Lift Company may be able to restrict it in the parking lot although in the spring people firing up grills is a regular occurrence.

I've seen people using one before. I doubt you'd have any problems, other than melting your outerwear if you get too close.

bobmc runs a propane firepit on the bypass road and the lot at Snowbird with no issues
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

We tailgate w the race parents in the gas valley lot all winter. Propane pit x2

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

speaking of propane, those new tubes dotting the emma's ridgeline gonna make interlodge a thing of the past. Just a few boom booms in the morning and few boom booms in the evening, dyno-mite!

word, that's good to hear. gonna dial in my parking lot lunch and apres game this season. warmth + comfort + quality my main considerations so far.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    speaking of propane, those new tubes dotting the emma's ridgeline gonna make interlodge a thing of the past. Just a few boom booms in the morning and few boom booms in the evening, dyno-mite!
    Will the new RAC system result in fewer interlodges or just allow control work without having to shoot artillery or send someone to throw hand charges?

Will the new RAC system result in fewer interlodges or just allow control work without having to shoot artillery or send someone to throw hand charges?
    The new system shouldn't result in fewer interlodges, but it will help Alta shoot less artillery. Alta is running out of howitzer shells. It's not like the USA makes Korean war era artillery shells anymore and I don't think buying munitions like that is possible in the eyes of Uncle Sam. IIRC they are estimating only having enough to be able to shoot the big guns for 10-15 more years (might be less, I can't remember the exact number).

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    The new system shouldn't result in fewer interlodges, but it will help Alta shoot less artillery. Alta is running out of howitzer shells. It's not like the USA makes Korean war era artillery shells anymore and I don't think buying munitions like that is possible in the eyes of Uncle Sam. IIRC they are estimating only having enough to be able to shoot the big guns for 10-15 more years (might be less, I can't remember the exact number).
    so does alta just have a giant munitions bunker somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    so does alta just have a giant munitions bunker somewhere?
    I think it's spread out, but yeah basically.
    All the gun towers are for sure under close watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

No shortage of ammo. The military isn’t exactly happy about 105 shells flying over inhabited buildings. LCC is only place in NA where that occurs. Hence the installation of the new stationary system. Which will only be expanded in the future. There are areas that affect the road that are in wilderness and where other systems cannot be installed. So snowbird will likely have a howitzer for a while, since they shoot that area. If anything I’d expect more interlodges this winter (relative to snowfall), in an effort to be able to keep the road open and not have people get trapped up canyon without anywhere to go. It’s all going to be a humongous junk show this winter. I’ll be shocked if resorts are able to stay open all season. Especially if food service is open. Employees being housed on site makes the issues even more concerning in the town of Alta. Schools/colleges reopening and how that affects transmission will give us a good insight as to what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    No shortage of ammo. The military isn’t exactly happy about 105 shells flying over inhabited buildings. LCC is only place in NA where that occurs. Hence the installation of the new stationary system. Which will only be expanded in the future. There are areas that affect the road that are in wilderness and where other systems cannot be installed. So snowbird will likely have a howitzer for a while, since they shoot that area. If anything I’d expect more interlodges this winter (relative to snowfall), in an effort to be able to keep the road open and not have people get trapped up canyon without anywhere to go. It’s all going to be a humongous junk show this winter. I’ll be shocked if resorts are able to stay open all season. Especially if food service is open. Employees being housed on site makes the issues even more concerning in the town of Alta. Schools/colleges reopening and how that affects transmission will give us a good insight as to what to expect.

^^^^
    and you said I was pessimistic.

hope you like shoveling more than skiing, otherwise it's gonna be a tough year.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I think it's spread out, but yeah basically.
    All the gun towers are for sure under close watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Alta only has one piece of true artillery, on the ridge above Wildcat. They have several ava launchers that use compressed air not shells. Shells are in one place pretty much in clear sight.

Alta only has one piece of true artillery, on the ridge above Wildcat. They have several ava launchers that use compressed air not shells. Shells are in one place pretty much in clear sight.
    hmm interesting I thought they spread them out a bit...cool. I knew about the ridge. Was up there a few times during the summer they constructed the new building up there. They must keep some ordinance in that building though no? Or do they snowcat up artillery when they are going to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    hmm interesting I thought they spread them out a bit...cool. I knew about the ridge. Was up there a few times during the summer they constructed the new building up there. They must keep some ordinance in that building though no? Or do they snowcat up artillery when they are going to shoot?
    I can't say for sure but two years ago early morning they were transporting shells via a helicopter.

The Wyssen RACS does use a heli to reload each tower. I supplied concrete for the 12 towers that were placed a few weeks back.

Typically Utah DOT has used artillery and Gasex systems for much of their avalanche control. With ammunition hard to come by, and Gasex systems being complex installations, they were searching for a better solution. The Wyssen Remote Avalanche Control System (RACS) is a compact, self contained unit that can be installed just about anywhere and is triggered remotely. Single charges drop on a rope from the tower and detonate above the snow, which allows them to impact a larger area than charges detonated in the snow. Each tower holds 12 explosives, which are reloaded via helicopter…which would probably be pretty cool to watch.
    https://snowbrains.com/utah-installi...anche-control/

FWIW, I spoke to our landlord who has a half dozen rental properties in Cottonwood Heights and Sandy. We rent for the entire season but for the other properties he has received numerous calls from regular customers telling him they will not be coming out this season. Sounds to me that he is going to start marketing the properties as regular rental units. Maybe locals will be ok except on weekend pow days...

It's going to be really interesting to see what Boyne does after Vail's reservation system announcement. I bought a Brighton pass, but just a Twilight Pass (2 pm-close). I don't have the foggiest idea how a reservation system will work with that pass.