Page 60 of 132 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 3295
    Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Lots of stoke on this page but What? I'd love to read a follow up.
    This was linked in the avy forecast this morning: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/52114

Scary stuff...

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    This was linked in the avy forecast this morning: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/52114

Scary stuff...

no gear....man....do they think the gates in the West are like the gates in VT? Kid got REALLY lucky that ski was still attached to a skier and not ripped off and just poking out. Crazy.

Just to add context if you aren't familiar with the area:
    - the burial site is right at a glacial moraine and makes a great terrain trap
    -the terrain skied is in view of the gate exiting middle bowl cirque, there is a full rope/sign line with gate on the ridge. I'm not sure what the gate looks like now, but used to have full warnings.
    -the burial site is about a 400 foot walk from the patrol shack at the top of Needles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	316441

Great day out with Mallwalker.

Name:	IMG_20200219_064709.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	316446
    Few tracks in sight, beautiful waning crescent over Raymond

Name:	IMG_20200219_064707.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	316447
    First light on the Broads Fork Twins
    Attachment 316450

^ good times indeed

Name:	20200219-02.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	316451

Name:	20200219-03.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	316452

Purdy.

While I love the blue sky, we need some fresh blower snow. Right now, looks like bullocks until the 24th.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

^ yeah, anything due E or more solar than that was crusted. that line is ever so slightly ENE but if you strayed a few feet skiers left you felt the change. below in the gully it was the same... hopefully with the cold temps at least the north half will hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    these pics are all rad. I can't imagine how fucking hard it is to surf like this either

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    these pics are all rad. I can't imagine how fucking hard it is to surf like this either
    Thanks Man...Its a rush for sure! Highly recommend if you wanna mix things up a bit.

Thanks Man...Its a rush for sure! Highly recommend if you wanna mix things up a bit.
    +1 on the killer pics. How hard is pow surfing to learn? Is it much like normal surfing? I've seen a few pow surfers out 'n about - y'all are a dedicated group to suffer thru slow shoes on the up, so there must be something super special about it.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 19-20

Pow surfing definitely reminds me more of surfing than snowboarding. You have to shift your weight and maintain balance in a similar manner. And the challenge makes mellow terrain fun.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    +1 on the killer pics. How hard is pow surfing to learn? Is it much like normal surfing? I've seen a few pow surfers out 'n about - y'all are a dedicated group to suffer thru slow shoes on the up, so there must be something super special about it.
    If you snowboard you can pick up powsurfing pretty quick.

Powsurfing/Noboarding is conditions dependent, you want bottomless pow or even dense surfy snow is good. It gets tricky on steeper terrain and takes finesse to control the board. In shallow snow bottom feeding makes it really hard to turn the board and it wants to spit you off...yesterday the conditions were great but there was a shallow section where the wind scoured a rollover and basically you have to straight line it through. Once you get up to speed it can be difficult to shut it down so it kinda forces you to read and ride the terrain differently...which makes it exciting...which is probably why I like it. Its rad laying down some big pow turns and feeling the board press into your feet.

The approach/exits can suck so picking the right area is a factor. Using verts isnt bad at all, once the booter is in its super efficient to do laps. Theres some people that make surfer splits which is an awesome option for longer approaches. Hauling in the powsurf on a pack with a splitboard makes long approaches easy then you can ride back out, just leave the splitboard at the bottom of your run and use verts for laps.

Check out the Grassroots/Powsurf dudes and Provo Bros they got some pretty rad videos

If you snowboard you can pick up powsurfing pretty quick.

Powsurfing/Noboarding is conditions dependent, you want bottomless pow or even dense surfy snow is good. It gets tricky on steeper terrain and takes finesse to control the board. In shallow snow bottom feeding makes it really hard to turn the board and it wants to spit you off...yesterday the conditions were great but there was a shallow section where the wind scoured a rollover and basically you have to straight line it through. Once you get up to speed it can be difficult to shut it down so it kinda forces you to read and ride the terrain differently...which makes it exciting...which is probably why I like it. Its rad laying down some big pow turns and feeling the board press into your feet.

The approach/exits can suck so picking the right area is a factor. Using verts isnt bad at all, once the booter is in its super efficient to do laps. Theres some people that make surfer splits which is an awesome option for longer approaches. Hauling in the powsurf on a pack with a splitboard makes long approaches easy then you can ride back out, just leave the splitboard at the bottom of your run and use verts for laps.

Check out the Grassroots/Powsurf dudes and Provo Bros they got some pretty rad videos
    Provo Bros kill it on powsurfers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone else going to the Snowbird Patrol fundraiser at Fisher tonight?

Anyone been around Maybird/Hogum? Any reactivity between the storm snow and the ice crust underneath?

Heads up Tulsi is shredding bird on sunday, lmao

• A “snowboarding with Tulsi” meet-up Sunday, noon to 5 p.m., at Snowbird ski resort, Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Anyone else going to the Snowbird Patrol fundraiser at Fisher tonight?
    I've never understood why ski patrols at mega ski resorts need a fundraiser. They all do it, but it baffles me that a ski resort that charges $140-200 for a day ticket cannot properly fund their ski patrollers. This isn't to say that I don't greatly appreciate ski patrols, I'm just confused by the economics of it. Hope they got a good turn out and raised the funds either way!

I believe that a lot of the money they are raising is going to other organizations that they donate and work with. Like Wasatch Adaptive.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I've never understood why ski patrols at mega ski resorts need a fundraiser. They all do it, but it baffles me that a ski resort that charges $140-200 for a day ticket cannot properly fund their ski patrollers. This isn't to say that I don't greatly appreciate ski patrols, I'm just confused by the economics of it. Hope they got a good turn out and raised the funds either way!
    100% agree. I just like skiing and I like beer.

Sounds like the money went to charities and "education." The education should be employer paid IMO.

My gut tells me they could pay their patrollers double what they do now and it wouldn't impact the bottom line in any meaningful way. Paging TFW....

Feels like no one is skiing this week and that's pretty ok. +3 days after the last storm and there was only 3 tracks in this not so top secret location.

^Nice one Dan.....Its up..... and its.....gooooood!

FYI, From Pints With Patrol Facebook page... "***100% of donations from the opportunity drawing and a portion of beer and merchandise sales from the night will benefit the Snowbird Patrol***"

Yeah resorts should pay their Patrollers top dollar IMO....dudes should have their own reality show... f' ice road truckers and swamp people etc. haha....Need to have a fundraiser to build some parking garages at the resorts and get all these cars off the roads.

Exactly! One of the excuses American resorts give for their exorbitant prices vs. Euro resorts is that we have large fully staffed ski patrols.

https://www.amazingskiandsnowpeople....s-scholarships

You'd think that they should get hazard pay but they certainly do not.

Went to the NW Pfeif today. Was planning on linking it up to a Coalpit but the skiing was pretty mediocre and beer sounded better than a mixed bag of rime crust, manageable wind crust, unmanageable wind crust, and graupel. But, hell, it sure was pretty.

Also, one of the Buckhorn cooks really got after it yesterday.

Name:	TM Oquirrh.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	316747
    Last edited by tBatt; 02-20-2020 at 04:33 PM.

^that is insane, well done!!