Page 56 of 132 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3295
    I've been looking at Dolphin Chute from my living room in Sandy for a while and decided to go check it out today. The approach was fairly straightforward and hiking in/out via an established summer trail avoided what could have been horrendous bushwacking. Snow was a mixed bag of semi-supportable crust and surfy heavy pow, but the views were 10/10.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200213_134633.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	315627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200213_134830.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	315628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200213_135047.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	315629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200213_153822~2.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	315633

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    My buddy who's visiting from Spokane was pretty stoked on our ski this morning and thought conditions were great for what that's worth. I was in Jackson last weekend and thought the skiing was better up there than what I experienced this morning. Perspective is everything. But if its still good up there, I'd tell em to ski then head down.
    thanks, good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I've been looking at Dolphin Chute from my living room in Sandy for a while and decided to go check it out today. The approach was fairly straightforward and hiking in/out via an established summer trail avoided what could have been horrendous bushwacking. Snow was a mixed bag of semi-supportable crust and surfy heavy pow, but the views were 10/10.Click image for larger version. 

I drooled over that very spot for years and never got the right snow down to the valley. Could see your line from my old backyard I'll bet. Looks like we lived pretty close.

Also drooled over the open field just to Lookers right of your line. Great score man.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I love this thread. Super stoked that I took advantage of the JetBlue 20th birthday sale to book a late April long weekend to SLC.

My last bc day out (last April) was Superior to Cardiac/Mineral and out to BCC. Red Pine is high on my list for this April.

Until then....I live vicariously through youz guyz!

Nice Dshack, I’ve looked at that one a time or 2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1378.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	315664

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 19-20

there is something about lines you can see from your house, they weigh on the mind and are incredibly satisfying to look back at from your house at after the deed is done.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post

Giving dfinn's epic scenic another page of glory

I'm done with ice in Tahoe. Road trippin over. Skiing Bird bird bird and Alta Friday to Monday.

Where da OGs at?

Road tripping from Big Sky where I met Bunion and Harry. Jackson with DJ. Will be skiing Altabird Friday thru Monday. Anyone up for turning and burning?

Post up a meet up.

I've been looking at Dolphin Chute from my living room in Sandy for a while and decided to go check it out today
    Hell ya bud! Nice score

Quote Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
    Giving dfinn's epic scenic another page of glory
    It was really my professional ski model that made that shot. He must work out.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    I'm done with ice in Tahoe. Road trippin over. Skiing Bird bird bird and Alta Friday to Monday.

Where da OGs at?
    #shacklife
    ifin you aint skied with harry
    how og can you be
    if bunny's got ya beat?
    oh and biggers better but ill come ski the corp with the woodsy
    cause they'll report more snow
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

funny, my buddy texted me last night asking if I wanted to get the dogs some exercise and check it out. could prob walk to the trailhead from my house.
    nice work! did you just skin up the chute? what was your time to the top? debating bringing the kiddo.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    funny, my buddy texted me last night asking if I wanted to get the dogs some exercise and check it out. could prob walk to the trailhead from my house.
    nice work! did you just skin up the chute? what was your time to the top? debating bringing the kiddo.
    Yeah I mainly skinned up, I tried booting for about 100 feet early on and bailed because I was wallowing in the snow...definitely should have brought my verts. I put in a drunken skinner that meandered mainly along the lookers right flank of the chute in the trees/scrubs.

I was taking it slow, it probably took me about 3ish hours from my car to the top. The most dangerous part of the day was hiking back down the somewhat icy trail with my skis and boots on my back, if you do take your kid then shoes with good traction would be key.

Oh and FYI FYI unfortunately no dogs are allowed above BST due to it being in the watershed.

Name:	20200214-03.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	315772

after staring at this thing for the last couple seasons I finally hit it. proper steep up top, around 50 and sadly that was breakable crust as the good stuff sluffed lower down. the middle and bottom skied great though

Name:	20200214-02.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	315773

as usual when going someplace new(ish) I saw a lot of other things that looked more fun, including this toledo bowl lookalike

Name:	20200214-04.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	315775

you can't really tell but there's tracks up there for now at least...

Yeah I mainly skinned up, I tried booting for about 100 feet early on and bailed because I was wallowing in the snow...definitely should have brought my verts. I put in a drunken skinner that meandered mainly along the lookers right flank of the chute in the trees/scrubs.

I was taking it slow, it probably took me about 3ish hours from my car to the top. The most dangerous part of the day was hiking back down the somewhat icy trail with my skis and boots on my back, if you do take your kid then shoes with good traction would be key.

Oh and FYI FYI unfortunately no dogs are allowed above BST due to it being in the watershed.

thx for the beta. yea, now that I think of it, I remember the no dogs sign right at the bridge. thx for the heads up.

Nice work on the Dolphin! Definitely hard to ignore when you stare at it from home or look at it every time you drive to the canyons. And that feeling of diving into the valley is hard to beat. Can't believe you ignored the "no winter travel beyond this point" sign though...

I'm surprised you didn't try to ski back down the Sawmill trail, that thing is such a nice skin up (not). Can't be worse than continuing down the chute which is how I got off the run BITD. Lots of cliffs, lots of brush, lots of water, all of the cursing...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Nice work on the Dolphin! Definitely hard to ignore when you stare at it from home or look at it every time you drive to the canyons. And that feeling of diving into the valley is hard to beat. Can't believe you ignored the "no winter travel beyond this point" sign though...

I'm surprised you didn't try to ski back down the Sawmill trail, that thing is such a nice skin up (not). Can't be worse than continuing down the chute which is how I got off the run BITD. Lots of cliffs, lots of brush, lots of water, all of the cursing...
    is there a sign? Wow...think its for avie danger into the houses on wasatch blvd?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    is there a sign? Wow...think its for avie danger into the houses on wasatch blvd?
    There's a classic "DON'T PROCEED ANY FURTHER UR GUNNA DIE OMG AVALANCHES DOOM AND DEATH" sign where the Sawmill trail switchbacks and heads into Big Willow canyon, right at the end of the long flatish traverse that brings you to the toe of the Dolphin. Cracks me up everytime I see it. That place sees a lot of motivated snowshoers action and the FS tries to keep them from traversing under the steep NW faces that avalanche semi-regularly.

Yeah the bottom of that chute is as classic of a terrain trap as you will find...definitely not the place to be when the snow could move. I heard that there is another approach that has you stay on Sawmill for a bit farther and then you skin up thru the trees to the E of the chute, but seems like the bushwacky factor could be high.

Skinned up E Castle today and booted a few extra steps to the top for a helluva view (props to the side steppers who really earned it):

Name:	20200214_124516.jpeg 
Views:	202 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	315804

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    There's a classic "DON'T PROCEED ANY FURTHER UR GUNNA DIE OMG AVALANCHES DOOM AND DEATH" sign where the Sawmill trail switchbacks and heads into Big Willow canyon, right at the end of the long flatish traverse that brings you to the toe of the Dolphin. Cracks me up everytime I see it. That place sees a lot of motivated snowshoers action and the FS tries to keep them from traversing under the steep NW faces that avalanche semi-regularly.
    Located with a dog and dug a teenager out of the gully in the runout in the early 90's.
    He and two friends were headed to Lone Peak that way.
    Justin turned back and his friends triggered a slide from the body of the dolphin sometime later.
    Hoping he was out of the way, they yelled warnings and descended then, saw no sign of him, and found his car still parked at the trailhead...
    Took his mother to the site the next summer.
    Think that sign is courtesy of Mrs. Heil.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Located with a dog and dug a teenager out of the gully in the runout in the early 90's.
    He and two friends were headed to Lone Peak that way.
    Justin turned back and his friends triggered a slide from the body of the dolphin sometime later.
    Hoping he was out of the way, they yelled warnings and descended then, saw no sign of him, and found his car still parked at the trailhead...
    Took his mother to the site the next summer.
    Think that sign is courtesy of Mrs. Heil.
    Oooof, ugly story and sobering facts. I'll look at that sign differently now, I always assumed it was to deter motivated hikers from getting exposed to the Dolphin.
    The gully below the trail is definitely the stuff of nightmares and the stuff looming above is steeper and bigger than it seems from the valley. Same with the Crow's feet, you only really see the beautiful and opened section of the run from the valley but the deep and brushy terrain trap below has very murderous instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Road tripping from Big Sky where I met Bunion and Harry. Jackson with DJ. Will be skiing Altabird Friday thru Monday. Anyone up for turning and burning?

Post up a meet up.
    Dude!!! Awesome running into you and Ron at Little cloud, and thanks for introducing me to A fun crew...

the windbuff was insane!!!! Best day of the season for me. C ya manana!!!!

What a crew came together today at the 'bird. Met up with friends Ron who is overstaying for the weekend storm and Criag who can't. Locals Anthony and Mark. And Super Punani. Dude you rip! Gonna be fun to ski with you more.

Finished up with some fun tailgating in the parking lot with whole Ktown crew and those above.

Hi. In town from Tahoe (needed a powder fix) and blacked out this weekend so wondering where you go touring in a storm. I remember tagging along with Bruce T a few years back and we went to a ridge of aspens. I think it was in big and i think it was west of solitude. Any help much appreciated and repaid to visitors to Tahoe.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage