Page 111 of 132 FirstFirst ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 3295
    ^^^^I do not think this is true. Last year, I had Ikon and Locals DV pass, both of which I used. Not once did I have to make a reservation. I just walked right onto the Mayflower gondi.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The one time I was at DV last winter they eventually stopped selling day tickets because they were "sold out", but all of my friends on Ikons didn't need to reserve their day

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ^^^^I do not think this is true. Last year, I had Ikon and Locals DV pass, both of which I used. Not once did I have to make a reservation. I just walked right onto the Mayflower gondi.
    https://ikonres.deervalley.com/

It's just that I have never done that. I'd rather ski someplace else, if DV is sold out. There have been a few occasions when I was planning to ski DV, but heard that it was sold out, so just skied The Can. instead. For me at The Can., it really helps that I have access to free underground parking at the gondola
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If the world stays how it is now or gets worse, you know how many morons are gonna be in the BC with all resorts closed or limited? Yikes.

I have not bought a pass. And don’t plan to until there is some more certainty. I will buy a lighter weight set up before I buy a pass at this point and plan to avoid every dentist and lawyer who will now be a “pro BC skier this winter”

Quote Originally Posted by TWA View Post
    If the world stays how it is now or gets worse, you know how many morons are gonna be in the BC with all resorts closed or limited? Yikes.

I have not bought a pass. And don’t plan to until there is some more certainty. I will buy a lighter weight set up before I buy a pass at this point and plan to avoid every dentist and lawyer who will now be a “pro BC skier this winter”
    Parking was the limiting factor a lot of days last year at local trailheads. This certainly isn't going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Parking was the limiting factor a lot of days last year at local trailheads. This certainly isn't going to help.
    Mallwalker is the only person in the 'satch who will continue to find empty parking lots every day. At 4:30 AM. I for one am really excited at the prospect of being forced out of bed earlier and earlier and eventually reach a point where I don't need to give any fucks about the sun manking up the pow because I'll be back at the house before sunrise.

Bets on how long it takes BD to come up with a new BC-specific headlamp called the Midnight Patrol?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Mallwalker is the only person in the 'satch who will continue to find empty parking lots every day. At 4:30 AM. I for one am really excited at the prospect of being forced out of bed earlier and earlier and eventually reach a point where I don't need to give any fucks about the sun manking up the pow because I'll be back at the house before sunrise.

Bets on how long it takes BD to come up with a new BC-specific headlamp called the Midnight Patrol?
    zebralight...

I foresee a lot more early mornings with mallwalker in my future next season. And maybe a lighter bc setup.

And a Snowbird pass of course, cause I'm not gonna just not buy a pass.

everyone knows that mallwalker only skis shortswing, mill b north, and grizzly gulch. i hear he's usually up there by 6:00, 6:30 at the latest. you should definitely follow in his footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I foresee a lot more early mornings with mallwalker in my future next season. And maybe a lighter bc setup.
    if you want those CD104s I got, which you probably would dig, I'll sell em to you for a song. Too much overlap with the Solis, and those match my boots You will want a lighter binding on there (and I'm gonna sell the vipecs anyway) but they would be right up your alley I bet

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Powder Mtn limits day ticket sales, and possibly season passes as well.
    Yes 1500 max tickets a day and I think 1500 season passes total. I’m hopeful and bought my pass

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    if you want those CD104s I got, which you probably would dig, I'll sell em to you for a song. Too much overlap with the Solis, and those match my boots You will want a lighter binding on there (and I'm gonna sell the vipecs anyway) but they would be right up your alley I bet
    Can't buy any more skis right now but maybe in the fall if you still have them...

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    everyone knows that mallwalker only skis shortswing, mill b north, and grizzly gulch. i hear he's usually up there by 6:00, 6:30 at the latest. you should definitely follow in his footsteps.
    Fortunately for me my footsteps tend to be in places hardly anyone thinks about when it comes to skiing. Expect for the 30 days I spend parked at White Pine to ski the TriChutes that is...

Fortunately for me my footsteps tend to be in places hardly anyone thinks about when it comes to skiing. Expect for the 30 days I spend parked at White Pine to ski the TriChutes that is...
    me: i only ski obscure places
    also me: i should just build a hut at the base of beartrap, would make things much easier

really, my sarcasm about mallwalker skiing grizzly was a tongue-in-cheek effort to throw others off his scent, not at all directed at you personally . you might be the poster child for skiing obscure, hidden gems in the wasatch.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    me: i only ski obscure places
    also me: i should just build a hut at the base of beartrap, would make things much easier

really, my sarcasm about mallwalker skiing grizzly was a tongue-in-cheek effort to throw others off his scent, not at all directed at you personally . you might be the poster child for skiing obscure, hidden gems in the wasatch.
    His scent is too strong, he's marked every tree on the way up to InBetween! Urine and claw marks from what I hear...
    These days he's marking the Shoreline trail in the early mornings too. Running for seasonal mayor I bet.

I'm even worse about the bst than about porter fork I think (not needing to get in the car is a very strong factor in my morning decision making)

My morning commutes are on the finger board with teleconferences on volume 10. It atleast makes me feel like im getting something done...
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Been looking into the crystal ball.
    Only see one positive scenario and it's the pipe dream one.
    We change behavior as Americans and use good practice,
    or we develop a vaccine to allow us to resume normal life.
    Prolly not gonna happen, eh?
    So...if ski areas aren't gonna open, or open at minimal capacity next winter, that's the negative scenario.
    BC gonna be a war zone around here w/ everybody competing for 1st tracks, etc.
    And a lot of skiers hitting the BC with great technical skills but no savvy.
    Prolly have the rottenest snow pack ever.
    Moderate hazard days causing record fatalities...
    If there are no pro patrols working, will we need professional rescue services like the alps? More med helos?
    The # of call outs is gonna sharply increase both summer and winter with the tremendous amount of increased back country use.
    Let's hope for the positive scenario, eh?

Silver lining:
    That the raging outdoor use of late hopefully translates into environmental protection advocacy...

Thoughts?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

^^^^

I’ve been calling for 900”+ 20-21 since April. NOAA saying 50+ percent chance of La Niña. It’s gonna dump. Ski resorts in Utah close either December 18th or January 18th. December if bars are open. Too many employees positive within 4 weeks of starting jobs. January if ski resorts decide to allow food and beverage. If only lifts spin and no other profit streams are opened resorts could probably make it through the season. Chances they’ll be conservative on openings and think long, instead of try and gobble up the low hanging fruit? About the same as only three reasonable skin tracks instead of 8 Uber steep starva beating up tracks put up on the north side of hwy 210. Which leads to tfw’s observation. The BC is going to absolute chaos next winter. Trailheads are all time packed this summer. And single track doesn’t avalanche. There’s also the possibility we’re all under shelter in place orders by then. Current trends don’t bode well as far as American behavior getting shit under control. I’d love environmental advocacy. But I’ll settle for some semblance of competence from our government (federal and local). My confidence for positive outcomes are equal to the possibilities of storm day traffic issues being solved in lcc.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I was curious about vacation rentals over Christmas so I went to Airbnb and found plenty available for the week after Christmas in Sandy, Cottonwood Heights, Midvale for <$100 night. Some were homes sleeping five or more. I have never looked at this before, units looked good. The question is this sounds cheap, are these prices normal for this time of the year or are we seeing a covid discount? Cleaning fee and tax extra.

Quote Originally Posted by TWA View Post

Shoulda referenced you last night.

Something I've been pondering lately is:
    If a ski area is on public land and bullwheels aren't spinning...?
    The Alta and Snow Basin are pretty good about access, the others not so much.
    Will we see touring access in more ski areas?
    And how bout that familiarity element in play?

Areas need to be able to close access for avalanche work to protect infrastructure.
    There are some lifts around these parts that without turning starting zones into moguls could sustain serious damage.
    With a back country snow pack in bounds, there could be times when you do NOT want to use explosives cause you might get what you are looking for.
    Certainly don't want tourers traipsing around in those conditions.

Can't imagine the resorts that have limited access in the past will want anything different, but pressure would be enormous...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Happy pie-n-beer day you Utah Maggots!

On another thread someone mentioned car pooling may be a no-no. UTA is enforcing social distancing on buses plus no one within 6' of drivers. One person per seat and every other row would probably limit buses to no more than a dozen people. For Alta & SB what happens if they call interlodge during the day? Not enough room in the lodges to bring all the skiers inside safely. Does that mean they preemptively close the resorts to get people down "in case" they have to call interlodge. Also, no more hanging out at the GMD at 5:30 AM.

Christ, I have to stop thinking about this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    For Alta & SB what happens if they call interlodge during the day? Not enough room in the lodges to bring all the skiers inside safely. Does that mean they preemptively close the resorts to get people down "in case" they have to call interlodge. Also, no more hanging out at the GMD at 5:30 AM.

Christ, I have to stop thinking about this shit.
    Yup, LCC has some unique problems that could make things very weird this winter. Trying not to think about it here, too.