Page 110 of 132 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3295
    Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    promoting the gondolaworks venture to sell it for tower 2!
    Gonna retire in NYC; its a ghost town compared to here...
    Not a bad plan. Keep in mind you're dealing with altruistic LDS republican politicians. So you're going to get one cent for every $100 they get.

Still will be enough to retire in NYC. I just wouldn't plan on it being Park Avenue though.

whoosh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3409.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	855.4 KB 
ID:	334063

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	334064

Name:	IMG_3209.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	334065

not too long now

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Owned a place there 10 years now, kids been occupying.
    Planned on it for retirement.
    Didn't figure on the exponential popularity of the LCC the last decade.
    Promoting the gondolaworks venture to sell it for tower 2!
    Gonna retire in NYC; its a ghost town compared to here...
    I heard there's a Valdez heli op looking for a new owner/operator....

Speculation about the road and gondola's make for good entertainment but more importantly will there even be a ski season?

^^^^^ this

I wonder if there will be day passes or just season passes plus reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    whoosh

Name:	IMG_3409.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	855.4 KB 
ID:	334063

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	334064

Name:	IMG_3209.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	334065

not too long now
    Ahhh...
    Thank you!
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Vail just had to suspend ops at most of their Australian resorts due to Covid outbreak. So resort skiing next season still looking sketchy.

https://snowbrains.com/melbourne-aus...ek-operations/

Quote Originally Posted by googledidoo View Post
    Vail just had to suspend ops at most of their Australian resorts due to Covid outbreak. So resort skiing next season still looking sketchy.

https://snowbrains.com/melbourne-aus...ek-operations/
    Without the availability of a vaccine I don't understand how a ski season works.

On Google Earth it looks like a lift at La Caille would have to go over some residential homes near the mouth of the canyon. Can't imagine residents would go along without a fight. Am I looking at that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Without the availability of a vaccine I don't understand how a ski season works.

On Google Earth it looks like a lift at La Caille would have to go over some residential homes near the mouth of the canyon. Can't imagine residents would go along without a fight. Am I looking at that wrong?
    Itll sure be close and within eyesight of many homes, but you know...eminent domain and all...greater good...etc etc

Real question is are any of the homes politicians or church leaders.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Most bike parks are open, so something that follows that model I guess.

Some strong NIMBYism seems likely, or maybe most of them ski AltaBird and think it will be "cool" to have a gondola go over their backyard. People are hard to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    but you know...eminent domain and all...greater good...etc etc
    If there are two organizations you can trust to do the right thing that provides the greatest benefit to the greatest number of people, it's the Utah State Legislature and the IOC working hand-in-hand.

maybe the virus will just take care of all this congestion and save a few hundy-mil in infrastructure

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Real question is are any of the homes politicians or church leaders.

They will be paid handsomely and can use part of the proceeds to move somewhere more desirable closer to the Huntsmans. TFW will escape to less crowded NYC. The rest of the poor SOBs in the area will be stuck holding the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    ^^^^^ this

I wonder if there will be day passes or just season passes plus reservations.

Does anyone know what the breakdown of season pass holders, icon and day ticket users is?

Considering how few Salt Lake Valley residents ski I doubt that there are many in the path of the gondola that would be happy about it. Once again looking on Google Maps at La Caille I don't see a path that would not go over the large homes at the mouth of the canyon. Then the ones it doesn't go over will have their view interrupted. Wonder how they determine fair value when air rights are taken?

Having to limit skiers has all sorts of implications. Will guests at the SnowPine or Rustler Lodge paying $600 / night have precedent and gets their lift tickets? Do they tell season pass holders you can only ski every other day or A-L ski's even days and M-Z odd days? Any way they limit daily skiers is going to be a giant fiasco with lots of people pissed.

^ just re:limiting skier days, I have no horse in this race but nearby DV does it, so there’s at least some precedent presumably of a system that “works”

Considering how few Salt Lake Valley residents ski I doubt that there are many in the path of the gondola that would be happy about it. Once again looking on Google Maps at La Caille I don't see a path that would not go over the large homes at the mouth of the canyon. Then the ones it doesn't go over will have their view interrupted. Wonder how they determine fair value when air rights are taken?

Having to limit skiers has all sorts of implications. Will guests at the SnowPine or Rustler Lodge paying $600 / night have precedent and gets their lift tickets? Do they tell season pass holders you can only ski every other day or A-L ski's even days and M-Z odd days? Any way they limit daily skiers is going to be a giant fiasco with lots of people pissed.
    it's going to be hard to limit anyone that has purchased a season pass that is "unlimited" as that would legally go against the TOU of the purchase (I assume), so they're going to need to limit people that don't have these products: ikon, day tickets, etc

I think what Brighton is maybe doing is taking their passes off sale as they are now "at capacity", which will give them room to allow ikon passholders to ski at any time, or perhaps reserve prior to skiing (like at powder mountain), with the intent to allow all full season passholders at any time throughout the season that they are not blacked out.

Probably just a matter of time before other resorts do this, which is why I pulled the trigger on the alta pass this week.

Was also thinking how do you keep all the employees that live in overcrowded rooms up the canyon safe? I guess masks in all common areas and while working, but that's only going to work at the level of the dirtiest ski bum in the fort after some exposures/time.

I have seen at least 1 resort (maybe A-Basin?) limit the # of season pass holders/day to X and limit the # of day passes to Y, based upon first call, first served basis. It was my intention to just call for reservations everyday, say 3 days in advance.

600p/day
    "All 600 spots were filled daily but there was not a system in place to weed out people who already had a reservation for a previous day, Fuller said.

“We know it wasn’t perfect, the demand was extraordinary, and we learned a lot. So this is really paving the way for summer and next fall,” she said.

https://coloradosun.com/2020/06/05/a...onavirus-2020/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Alta told me today they will have a plan in place with details in October. With 100% of the cost refundable on unused tickets by December 31st I guess that works.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Was also thinking how do you keep all the employees that live in overcrowded rooms up the canyon safe? I guess masks in all common areas and while working, but that's only going to work at the level of the dirtiest ski bum in the fort after some exposures/time.
    Very true. Seems like STDs can run rampant through employee housing that involves sexual contact. Imagine an airbourne disease

^^^

Speaking from experience? I predict ski resorts will do what most every other organization/business has done. Try and open everything only for it all to shut down. If ski areas were to just stick to skiing and not open restaurants I think they could stay open for the season. But I have little faith in such foresight. Despite all the talk of ski areas making tons of money on $25 burgers. I can positively assure everyone that the large majority of revenue is from lift tickets sales, by a surprisingly large margin. If Alta and the lodges wherein have as many live in employees as normal I imagine the ski area won’t be open past MLK weekend. If the pdog and sitz are open next winter I expect the whole canyon to be Covid positive by Christmas. Letting people ski is theoretically the easy thing to do. It’s resisting the profit of all the side gigs that will doom the skiing. I’m predicting an all time epic amount of snow. 800+ inches and limited resort skiing. Bring it on!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The Brighton pass going off sale is a Boyne thing. They shut down pass sales at all their western and eastern ski areas, some were cut off weeks ago. They have said they will go back on sale in the fall, but at what cost and quantity nobody seems to know. I am sure there is some method to the madness, virus related obviously. Not sure what though.

In my experience resorts that limit skier numbers do so by ending day ticket sales once they reach a certain threshold. Isn't that what DV does? Last year Crystal stopped selling tix on weekends didn't they? The other govenor has also been when parking lots are full we take no more skiers........doesn't SB do this? Kinda forces one to take the bus. My experience last year is that SB is at capacity, whatever those numbers are/were.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Down View Post
    The Brighton pass going off sale is a Boyne thing. They shut down pass sales at all their western and eastern ski areas, some were cut off weeks ago. They have said they will go back on sale in the fall, but at what cost and quantity nobody seems to know. I am sure there is some method to the madness, virus related obviously. Not sure what though.

In my experience resorts that limit skier numbers do so by ending day ticket sales once they reach a certain threshold. Isn't that what DV does? Last year Crystal stopped selling tix on weekends didn't they? The other govenor has also been when parking lots are full we take no more skiers........doesn't SB do this? Kinda forces one to take the bus. My experience last year is that SB is at capacity, whatever those numbers are/were.
    Powder Mtn limits day ticket sales, and possibly season passes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Down View Post

I dunno about day tickets at DV but to use an Ikon day there you had to make an online reservation in advance. Took 5 mins and wasn’t too big of a deal, but seems like it could be a reasonably effective technology solution. No insight into how that sausage is made though.