Page 17 of 132 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0754.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	306277

surfy and fast, and surprisingly quiet out there

Sounds like a BC avalanche fatality out of 9990 @ the Canyons.
    Squaretop would be my guess?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

The OB in that area can get very sketchy. Was there a call for dogs?

Name:	5D6B84FE-294D-444E-940C-58592C74398A.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	306278I was there. It was dutches just at the soul patch Cliff ban. Sad. Positive vibes to family of the decedent. Not saying this happened here, but way too many people ski that area without backcountry gear
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 12-15-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Super sad to hear this. That’s a scary zone. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

Name:	5D6B84FE-294D-444E-940C-58592C74398A.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	306278I was there. It was dutches just at the soul patch Cliff ban. Sad. Positive vibes to family of the decedent. Not saying this happened here, but way too many people ski that area without backcountry gear
    Damn this is never good. Vibes to family. Be safe out there. Think. Powder fever is strong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

UAC confirmed no gear on IG. Sad day. Alta was A+ again today

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Damn, scary to hear. I had the best day of my life at Alta on Friday. Brighton was good on Saturday but parking was a shitshow and snowbird was OK today. I have two more days left on my trip. I want to hit solitude but dont want to pay for parking. Also want to do some BC laps up on the south face above the Alta parking lot but think that might not be the safest idea alone. Anyone have any suggestions? Trek to deer valley?

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Damn, scary to hear. I had the best day of my life at Alta on Friday. Brighton was good on Saturday but parking was a shitshow and snowbird was OK today. I have two more days left on my trip. I want to hit solitude but dont want to pay for parking. Also want to do some BC laps up on the south face above the Alta parking lot but think that might not be the safest idea alone. Anyone have any suggestions? Trek to deer valley?
    I'll be at the Bird tomorrow and probably Tues if you want to take some laps. May be up for a tour Tuesday if you've got gear/knowledge.

I personally wouldn't fart around with driving around to DV when the skiing is this good but if groomers are your thing then go for it (sounds like its not).

Damn, scary to hear. I had the best day of my life at Alta on Friday. Also want to do some BC laps up on the south face above the Alta parking lot. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Pretty great to hear of someone's best day of their life in our hood.
    S. facing will be pretty safe and well traveled by others tomorrow above town.
    You'll meet other ski enthusiasts on any of the established skinners.
    Welcome, and to yet another great day...
    Vibes to the fella that died in Dutch Draw with his wife and daughter present...?
    That's gonna suck for the young un's memory bank...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Pretty great to hear of someone's best day of their life in our hood.
    S. facing will be pretty safe and well traveled by others tomorrow above town.
    You'll meet other ski enthusiasts on any of the established skinners.
    Welcome, and to yet another great day...
    Vibes to the fella that died in Dutch Draw with his wife and daughter present...?
    That's gonna suck for the young un's memory bank...
    This place is magical, 30 minutes to downtown. No traffic, barely any lift lines. Sketchy (but not as sketchy) snowpack. Such good steeps. I'll shut up now.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    just wander around the parking lot asking for directions to chads gap
    some bootpackin skittletard will show ya the goods
    wife skied butler yesterday and other north facin mid canyon bcc stuffs today with sfotex
    said didn't suck dried out nice with single digit overnight temps
    wage slaved myself
    sucks but the cyberchristmasconsumerconsumptions shits shows bout over
    vibes on the loss to the tribe
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This place is magical, 30 minutes to downtown. No traffic, barely any lift lines.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Lol
    Toasty did you did this trip 20 years ago? Does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Lol
    My thoughts exactly.

File today under fantastic (other than the avy)
    Spun a lap up into the culps and it was good so we did another it was even gooders so we rallied microwave back to the road and it was over the shoulder blower all in ya grill holy baby jeebus tears of rapture. Apres on bypass with bobmc and the privileged team put down teh scotch then home for pupper snuggling and pizza. No action shots it was cold.

Name:	20191215_200257.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	306316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_101456.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	306317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_100316.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	306318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_124111.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	306319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_195628.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	306320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_195701.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	306321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191215_200135.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	306322
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

So anyone gotten a ticket yet parking at Solitude?

I didn’t pay yesterday, fuck that. But to my surprise, no ticket when I got back. Saw some others get a ticket.

What’s the ticket? Solitude saying come pay me? What’s the punishment? Will the boot or tow you?

Seems like the square top area is a yearly thing. I know the gate to the south of 9990 is often open and we should all take personal responsibility but....maybe there should be a secondary gate or rope or signage or something? Even when it’s a “safe” day I dont ski there....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Man, UDOT is letting anyone up there these days

Name:	20191216-00.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	306352

Name:	20191216-02.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	306353

It's too cold and the snow is all bad, just stay home... getoutside hated it too
    Last edited by mall walker; 12-16-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Funny to see Utards raving about dense surfy maritime pow.

Come out to WA in February, we ski that shit all the time... unless it's raining.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=330468

Vibes on the Canyons fatality.

It's ok in early december. Otherwise, meh.

Hey, there has got to be some reason to justify Utah
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    It's too cold and the snow is all bad, just stay home... getoutside hated it too
    solid job and great photos fellas! Solid weekend, didn't take many photos but I do sorta like the limited terrain options and running into a lot of friends yesterday. I mean it will get old, but yesterday was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TWA View Post
    What’s the ticket? Solitude saying come pay me? What’s the punishment? Will the boot or tow you?
    it's a parking ticket bud. Issued by the unified police force and they tow egregious offenders for sure.

Vibes to the friends and family of the snowboarder who died on Sunday. Maybe they should put up a memorial for all those that died exiting the gate, photos and ages, all that... would that help? maybe? but probably not. Death sucks, these accidents seem avoidable, but I'd prefer we keep open boundaries and let people continue to take responsibility for their own actions.

That cliff band is what my family calls the orphanage. It is the one place on the mountain I have banned my kids from. It goes all the time, and often to the ground.
    I am not in favor of more rules. Tragedies will continue annually because a ton of people are accessing true backcountry through a five minute walk. It is an unfortunate reality of the side country phenomena. They walk past signs demanding gear, expressing the risk and blatantly saying you can die.
    I’m sorry this guy lost his life, but further restrictions are not the answer. Education is the answer, but powder fever will overcome all.

^ 100% agree on keeping access open, but I'm with brutah that some "RIP <name> <date>" signs with pics of those slides (and their lift tickets, if you really wanna drive the point home) wouldn't hurt. I was up there one day a few years back on a considerable day with a crown visible from the lift and a group of dudes, none with gear (2 wearing jeans) were talking about hitting it. it's gotta be the most tempting dangerous "sidecountry" we have here, since it so obviously drops immediately back into the resort, and the hike is all of like 50' or so

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    it's gotta be the most tempting dangerous "sidecountry" we have here, since it so obviously drops immediately back into the resort, and the hike is all of like 50' or so
    And Hell's Canyon/Top of Tram gate at the Basin. 4 deaths there in recent history. And people will traverse right over and above in-bounds controlled, untracked, fall-line terrain to get to it.