Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    They're just middle class, not rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I have the Bonfire by Solo Stove- pretty portable. Comes with its own carry case.
    https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove...SAAEgLYyfD_BwE

They make a bigger one, the Yukon, but I doubt that is very portable.

The Bonfire burns relatively smoke free once you get it rolling- key is to keep the wood below the lip.
    When I am not needing to bring it anywhere, I keep it in the backyard. I plan on building a "fire pit" to keep it in, just some stacked pavers to keep people away form the sides which get pretty hot.

Bonfire-

Yukon-
    So never heard of these until this thread - bought the Yukon on Black Friday and this thing kicks ass...! No smoke and puts off heat...! Great recommendation...!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Another great Mag recommendation...!Name:  20191208_161323.jpeg
Views: 1341
Size:  104.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    These work great and you can at least keep that part out of a land fill.
    How hard is it to remove the washer tub? My washer just shit the bed and I've got a new one coming later this week. They will cart the old one away to recycle. Not sure I'd have time to remove it if it will be a big project.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Another great Mag recommendation...!Name:  20191208_161323.jpeg
Views: 1341
Size:  104.3 KB

So how many feral cats would fit in that thing? You know, just for reference.
    Pretty cool toy, huh? It hasn't gotten cold enough here to justify a fire yet, but I hope to break it out in the next few weeks for some yard cleanup.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    How hard is it to remove the washer tub? My washer just shit the bed and I've got a new one coming later this week. They will cart the old one away to recycle. Not sure I'd have time to remove it if it will be a big project.
    It's not hard, youtube and google are your friend.

Personally I've never removed one because they were $20 at the local 2nd hand appliance store.

Depends.

The newer machines can be quite complicated to disassemble. I recommend a sawsall.
    watch out for snakes

I rebuilt my washer recently. Disassembly was easy. But mine is a very basic, older model.

Not very difficult since you don't need to reassemble and have it work. If you have some mechanical ability you should be able to remove the drum in about 20-30 minutes. It took me a few youtube viewings and about 20 minutes to take the drum out of a front loader to replace the bearing. If it's a front loader you'll need to remove the plastic enclosed tub out of the unit then open it up to remove the stainless drum. They probably won't take your old disassembled unit so might need to dispose the old unit yourself.

Thanks. Was wondering about whether they'd still take it. Probably better just to buy a drum second hand if I want for this. Don't want to have to dispose of it myself.

Big fan of solostove
    Had the bonfire but it sucked having to cut wood short.
    Upgraded to the Yukon on their kickstarter. Amazing fire pit.

They started Out making small backpacking rocket stoves. You can boil water with a twig fire.
    . . .

Just got the solo stove ranger which is below the bonfire...awesome. Great for car camping with the kids and using on the patio.

Bump.

Do you smell like smoke after hanging around one of these smokeless firepits?

A lot of recs for Solo stoves in this thread. Any love for a Breeo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Outdoor Firepit Semi Portable

Looked into Breeo but if I remember correctly they were heavier and much more expensive. Looks like the same thing, just a nicer version.

You’ll get a little smoke starting the fire but once it is going you are good. If you are the one starting the fire then you’ll smell a little of smoke but if you are just hanging around the pit, no you don’t get that smokey smell.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5487.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	343206

Anyone have the Snow Peak pack and carry fire place? Appears to be much more portable than solo stove, but not as smoke free. Also ridiculously expensive for what it is, but I have a gift certificate I need to use there. Thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stove.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	343208

https://snowpeak.com/collections/sto...e-place-st-032

Just got my Solostove Yukon, I'm pretty pumped about that. Probably fire it up tomorrow. One thing I was wondering about is they say it's important to keep rain and snow off it, but why? It's just pieces of stainless, what's rain gonna do to it?

I suspect it's because they also sell a cover for them, am I wrong?

You are not wrong, but the inside grate does rust, especially since it sees the heat.
    Stainless (Stains-less) not rust proof.
    With the combo of ash and sitting water/ constant wet, I wouldn't risk it. Pretty easy to make a cover, or just throw the carry case over it upside down.

As far as the smoke smell goes for a previous poster- if you set up a good teepee or log cabin with proper kindling and some quality fire starters, you should be able to light it and walk away. The key to the no smoke is to keep the wood below the top ring. Once it is outside the 8th ring of hell zone, it smokes.

I don't know how often solo puts stuff on sale, but for the next three days, there is what looks like a major sale on the firepits.

Bonfire is currently $230 instead of $350, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    justify a fire
    You're doing it wrong, one can ALWAYS justify a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Just got my Solostove Yukon, I'm pretty pumped about that. Probably fire it up tomorrow. One thing I was wondering about is they say it's important to keep rain and snow off it, but why? It's just pieces of stainless, what's rain gonna do to it?

I suspect it's because they also sell a cover for them, am I wrong?
    Ah, sounds like you bought the indoor version

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is the mid-size guy worth it or is the Yukon the only way to go? Bigger obviously mo better but the 5" difference comes with a pretty serious premium...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I think the smaller one would be fine but you'd need to get or cut shorter logs to fit in it. 18" fit in the Yukon and that's a pretty standard length, but they won't fit in the Bonfire unless you stand them up and then they'll stick out the top at least a little and theoretically smoke. Rootskier mentioned the sale they're having now, they're definitely taking a lot off.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You're doing it wrong, one can ALWAYS justify a fire.
    It was in the 80's the other night, and then in the 40's the last few nights.
    In this climate, we need to justify a fire. If I have lots of yard debris from a tropical storm, I always burn it to nothing in the Bonfire. No justification needed.

Cutting the wood to the right size is an issue with the smaller ones, But I have it pretty dialed. I took down a giant Ficus a few months back, and I eyeballed the chainsaw cuts. They fit perfectly. I should have enough firewood for 2 years from that monster.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm crushed at the thought of having to pull out the chainsaw to shorten the stack of firewood I have for camping
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I have a Yukon (incredible deal thru GovX.com), and just ordered a Bonfire, cuz I wanted something smaller and lighter for trips, going to friends' places that don't have a fire pit and such...

I really like my Yukon though. Lots less smoke...but not "smokeless". That said, I can wear a jacket the next day after wearing it around the Yukon. It arrived with a dent in the side, and I got another 30% credit for that, which got me the cover and some "tools" for free.

It's a pit for gadget people for sure.
    Gravity. It's the law.