Page 72 of 117 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2903
    Visibility was tough this morning and conditions were highly variable, but in the words of Monty Python, "It got better"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200222_152003.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	317054

P.S. Tomorrow's forecast looks like you should leave tonight and plan to be stuck somewhere rad until Monday
    Last edited by pipedream; 02-22-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    P.S. Tomorrow's forecast looks like you should leave tonight and plan to be stuck somewhere rad until Monday
    Oh yeah, I'll be watching the radar to see if and where a CZ sets up. Monday should be pow day.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Monday should be pow day.
    Spoken like a true retiree

Visibility was tough this morning and conditions were highly variable, but in the words of Monty Python, "It got better"

Name:	IMG_20200222_152003.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	317054

Getting better was really the only direction the conditions could go this morning
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

No shit. That junior comp venue was terrifying early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Spoken like a true retiree
    Fuck yeah. (Well, to be fair, semi-retiree.) I'll be in line at 0850 tomorrow morning. Today was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    No shit. That junior comp venue was terrifying early.
    Yeah, I heard them scraping it down while they were checking it out and I'm glad I wasn't skiing it.

Today was amazing storm cat skiing.

Name:	IMG_0723.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	317167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0726.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	317168

Unfortunately no action shots due to the skiing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0732.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	317169

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Yeah, I heard them scraping it down while they were checking it out and I'm glad I wasn't skiing it.
    Didja wave at me as you rode past the lower judging tent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I kept looking for ya but wasn't sure which tent you were in

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

The region's lowest pass has broken 300" of snowfall as of this morning.

I was pointing out the judging spots to my 14yo who was wondering how they judged the comp when you can't see the whole thing. I should have known you would be there. After one run down the bowl, I couldn't get him to head back up even with the smallest Saturday line I've seen.

Reporting 29" at the top of the padded seats in last 24hrs with much coming after close Sunday. Who's planning to join the powder techs for a powder Tuesday? Plus, where's the stoke from yesterday? I have to imagine it was pretty good once they got the lifts running.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I was pointing out the judging spots to my 14yo who was wondering how they judged the comp when you can't see the whole thing. I should have known you would be there. After one run down the bowl, I couldn't get him to head back up even with the smallest Saturday line I've seen.

Reporting 29" at the top of the padded seats in last 24hrs with much coming after close Sunday. Who's planning to join the powder techs for a powder Tuesday? Plus, where's the stoke from yesterday? I have to imagine it was pretty good once they got the lifts running.
    That top reading is highly suspect given the high winds yesterday- ie at 3pm when the telem said 17" new it was really 7-8" up top just like at the base. Anything steep was still scratchy. Much improved over Saturday, but not the EPIC conditions the telem might have you believe.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    That top reading is highly suspect given the high winds yesterday- ie at 3pm when the telem said 17" new it was really 7-8" up top just like at the base. Anything steep was still scratchy. Much improved over Saturday, but not the EPIC conditions the telem might have you believe.
    It was a mystery meat day for sure with frozen ice bumps solidly in play.
    Fun was had, but it got sporty at times.

Yesterday's "reverse" pow day never really materialized. Between the high winds and just enough of a crowd, things basically got skied out. The wind might've given places a refresh (and likely scoured others to the underlying crust), but in the yakyard it was mostly just packed powder all day with a firm layer lurking below. I couldn't make it out to Silver Fir this morning, but I expect the steeps will be marginal at best and the groomers amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    It was a mystery meat day for sure with frozen ice bumps solidly in play.
    Fun was had, but it got sporty at times.
    Thanks. The wind was crazy yesterday at home so I can only imagine how much worse it was up there. Still debating heading up for the morning since I haven't had a Tuesday morning all year. A couple of my boys want an afternoon session, so I might do that instead and hope the powder techs leave some soft leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Yep. I would not believe that telemetry up there, it gets windloaded for sure. That said, the amount of water measured does correlate pretty well with 2' of snow.

First lap in Felsen at 130pm i popped off the small side of the upper cliff band looking at the smooth goodness below and instead landed on straight hardpack crust (didnt leave a mark in the snow), first turn to shut my speed down was knee deep light snow and the whiteroom. Pretty much summed up the afternoon for me. Went from super good snow, to great blower, to death crust and back again multiple times within a turn or two of each other.

The last ride up the padded seats was sporty for sure. I thought our chair was going to hit the lift shed it was tilted so much from the wind
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Can confirm the wind yesterday

https://youtu.be/xFrIFTSt89k

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Can confirm the wind yesterday

https://youtu.be/xFrIFTSt89k

I was remarking to my SO yesterday how soft ive become in regards to wind since moving to WA. We get wind events so rarely compared to Tahoe. Windhold used to be THE consideration when figuring out where to storm ski that day as anything on a ridgeline is typically shut down during storms, and they will run chairs in 50mph sustained winds. Here in WA i have only once had chairs go on windhold and that was at Crystal a few years back. Maybe its because elevations are 3-4k lower here?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I was remarking to my SO yesterday how soft ive become in regards to wind since moving to WA. We get wind events so rarely compared to Tahoe. Windhold used to be THE consideration when figuring out where to storm ski that day as anything on a ridgeline is typically shut down during storms, and they will run chairs in 50mph sustained winds. Here in WA i have only once had chairs go on windhold and that was at Crystal a few years back. Maybe its because elevations are 3-4k lower here?
    El Diablo

Short for “The Diablo”

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Here in WA i have only once had chairs go on windhold and that was at Crystal a few years back. Maybe its because elevations are 3-4k lower here?
    Wind holds are pretty common at Mission Ridge and White Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Wind holds are pretty common at Mission Ridge and White Pass.
    Why is that as compared to Stevens/Snoqualmie passes where i would think winds would be funneled through? probably off topic and for another thread.

Windholds happen all the time.

Upper mtn at the Southern Resort shuttered all day yesterday and then today this happens

Mountain Update 1:17pm: Lift Update: Chinook Express & Mt. Rainier Gondola are on hold. Maintenance crews are on-scene. Please use Quicksilver to access Forest Queen and upper lifts. We appreciate your understanding and patience as our crew works hard to resolve this! Stay tuned for updates.
    What's possible in one gondola ride required four chairs this afternoon. I suspect there are gonna be some irked folks...