Page 22 of 117 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    And the lots are full.

The new normal.

Thanks Ikon.
    Lets hope stevens and the summit can open some terrain before friday.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Methinks you don't know the difference between the "base" of a mountain and the "snow base."
    Last season he was arguing WA weather and snowpack with CMOR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Methinks you don't know the difference between the "base" of a mountain and the "snow base."
    Maybe he likes to rip turns at the base only. Magic carpet laps.

Please educate me on this term of art. I've only been skiing for 40+ years, obsessively. Had a pass at Alpy for around 15 yrs and Crystal for 8. Never heard "snow base" before.

Last season he was arguing WA weather and snowpack with CMOR.
    I don't even remember that. You're a bonafide rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    Please educate me on this term of art. I've only been skiing for 40+ years, obsessively. Had a pass at Alpy for around 15 yrs and Crystal for 8. Never heard "snow base" before.
    Well then maybe you're basing this on a 40 year old definition. These days almost all ski areas are going to report their snow depth (aka "base") from a location somewhere up on the hill, not down at the parking lot.

I finally solved this important mystery! If you go to the full report page on the Crystal website it defaults to summit info. There is a "Base/Summit" link in the upper left hand of the page, that I didn't notice. The 24" "snow base" in my original post was from the summit. They are currently reporting a 15" "snow base" when you toggle to the Base link. Mea culpa.
    Last edited by Wapow; 12-14-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Lets hope stevens and the summit can open some terrain before friday.
    There is not enough terrain open at Crystal to handle the volume. We sorely need more snow at the other resorts. The only benefit from today is that GV was skied compacted and the new storm or two will hide more rocks and stumps. If I didn’t have a pass, I wouldn’t be skiing until considerable snowfall arrives.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Even with meager base reports, I skied deep, light powder today. Inbounds no less. Only rocks I hit were on groomers. I love winter. Base depth is usually reported at different elevations at specific snow plots. I’m no expert but I’m not stupid

If anyone is heading up north tomorrow, please be safe. Closed means unskiable. Baker is usually pretty good about opening stuff, but this opening it just aint there

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Even with meager base reports, I skied deep, light powder today. Inbounds no less. Only rocks I hit were on groomers. I love winter. Base depth is usually reported at different elevations at specific snow plots. I’m no expert but I’m not stupid
    I probably deserve that, but seriously, it's kinda confusing. I'm snow totals being listed by elevation on a single page, like in a table format. I'll try to do better in the future, I promise.

High 12 skied better than expected today. Boottop pow all morning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Taking the recycling out to the golf course in the morning. Reports from Alpental indicated expectations were exceeded but challenging skiing below the top of Sessel.

Very mediocre day at the big umbrella. Thanks to full stack I got to get my sea legs back. With how low tide it was I'm amazed my skis didnt end up any core shots. The bases on my on3p's seem to be bullet proof.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

I braved the crowds at Crystal on Saturday now that I've moved a bit south to get my sea legs back and then promptly had to bail and skin up towards Blue Bell Pass (though I didn't get that high) and ski some mellow stuff due to the ridiculous crowds.

West facing slopes were soft but also made quite a lot of whumphs and cracks.

Parachute. Creamy powder according to the marketing folks.

https://vimeo.com/379490147

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Object of the first pic: stuck shuttle truck with a load of passengers, spinning all 6 wheels for a solid minute or two at the new C-lot pickup spot, then spinning again but in a melodious 2-part diesel harmony as the white work truck skittered and clawed across the boulevard against the tow strap.

Shuttle didn't budge. Passengers got off and walked. White truck pulled it onto the boulevard, then unhooked and drove off while the dually remained stuck in the middle of the road, spinning again and slowly jack-knifing its two empty trailers as the driver tried to find traction but just went downhill.

The white truck returned and pulled the empty shuttle right past the group of ex-passengers, all the way up to the ticket window.
    Is that their brand new spanking shuttle?!?1

Despite the low tide, no p-tex was donated on the golf course today. Went bell-to-bell (because I kept running into familiar kooks) and probably put-in 10k, despite catching the last quarter of the Hawks game in the bar and another break or two for refreshing. As reported, everything spun except Wildside, which played host to the turn-earning crowd for most of the morning. The forecasted clearing trend never fully materialized, so the Gore-Tex and knowledge of the terrain were tested. We sure could use more snow, but at least the forecast finally looks somewhat promising

Anybody skiing st helens this week?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Is that their brand new spanking shuttle?!?1
    They really are going after even the tiniest demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Do you have any beta on coverage at the trailhead? That would be a fun holiday excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They really are going after even the tiniest demographic.
    Is does seem like it would be a little cold for that, but who am I to judge?

Above the bottom of Chair 2, it gets deeper exponentially as you go up. One more good storm to fill in the bottom and we should be in business

Doesn't look it but even this skied really well. Really wasn't bad skiing until you got down to Sessel and below.

Zero base material was donated.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Above the bottom of Chair 2, it gets deeper exponentially as you go up. One more good storm to fill in the bottom and we should be in business

Standing ovation

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Weather a bit less than optimal for that?