Page 69 of 117 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2903
    Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    First transition was super sketch. And I’ve lost a ski there before. Bulletproof and drops away in every direction. Not super windy today though.
    But you only managed two laps.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Anyone know where exactly this was?

"A skier was fully buried in an avalanche that occurred adjacent to the Mt. Baker Ski Area. The avalanche was triggered by a traveler from a different party. Mt. Baker Ski Patrol was on the scene immediately, located the victim quickly, dug them out, and cleared their airway. The individual survived and reported no injuries. The avalanche was about 1 ft deep and eventually widened to 500 ft across the slope. "
    Pretty much in the center of hemispheres, as it faces c6, just to the left of where the trees at the top of elf chutes ends, and the wide open slopes begin. That person is very lucky and our response was about as perfect as it can get. They were 5ft down, where the snow piled up at a windfeature at the bottom of the slope.

Quote Originally Posted by jaja111 View Post
    I heard Hemispheres facing toward Baker. 1ft of powder slid off the concrete below. They hired out a helo in the morn on Sunday to bomb it out more. Short crowns with WIDE releases and LONG propagation. Might of not suffocated you, but carried and meat grinded you into a wet bag of smashed bones. Banked Slalom warrants aviation fuel $$.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Lotta gapers up here for weekends like last. Our boundary policy if very laissez faire, you may leave, at any time as long as you have beacon, shovel, probe, partner and brains. Weekends like LBS/MLK/Presidents etc. is when the hoardes come out that somehow miss the 8ft tall multicolored sign at their entrance to the national forest.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Baker has to rank high nationally for ski areas with the most cavalier/clueless/dangerous lift-accessed backcountry scenes.
    Anyone that rides here regularly learns to get a clue. Definitely agree with the cavelier though

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    But you only managed two laps.
    One actually. It was worth another trip. Yesterday would have been pretty sweet I bet.

Hypothetical here and for future reference. If crustal is closed, what's the uphill policy say for someone hypothetically skinning up and over bear gap from the nachos side of things?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO
    Greenwater just down the road from Crystal is finally freed from the isolation of being behind those massive mudslides.

“It’s been very difficult,” said Carol Haines who lives in Greenwater. “We’ve gone through the floods in the past and this one was unusual because we had such a high snowpack and then relentless rains.”

Haines and the rest of the hundred or so people who live and vacation here have been without power and phones. “It does wear on you after a couple of day,” she said. “Especially when you lose all of your groceries in your refrigerator and then you kind of have to scramble and make stuff on the wood stove like the old days.”
    Oh, those poor things

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Hypothetical here and for future reference. If crustal is closed, what's the uphill policy say for someone hypothetically skinning up and over bear gap from the nachos side of things?
    Per Scottsman, no uphill or downhill travel allowed at resort during the current closure. But anywhere outside of the ski area boundary is fair game, so still could come over Bear Gap for turns or go to Bullion Basin to get to the base.

Oh, and after saying they were opening this morning, they are still not open (no power).

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    That person is very lucky and our response was about as perfect as it can get. They were 5ft down, where the snow piled up at a windfeature at the bottom of the slope.
    Should not go without notice, that is an amazing response and rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Should not go without notice, that is an amazing response and rescue.
    Pretty insane that an out of bounds full burial under 5' of debris was uncovered by ski patrol quickly enough for the victim to have no significant injuries. I wonder what the response was like from the victims group, and/or the person above who kicked off the avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    I haven't seen this much excitement about 4" in a long time
    You're probably used to that though

Oh, those poor things
    Douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Takes one to know one, Brit.

Has everyone already forgotten about Dec. 2015 when the power was out for a week, I-90 was closed more than it was open and it snowed 9 feet in 7 days? Seems so

Sure but who's dad would win a fistfight on skis?

Takes one to know one
    Being amused by people's homes being flooded is a special kind of douche.

Has everyone already forgotten about Dec. 2015 when the power was out for a week, I-90 was closed more than it was open and it snowed 9 feet in 7 days? Seems so
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Meh...

Comparatively speaking the folks in GW have it worse by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Being amused by people's homes being flooded is a special kind of douche.
    I’m not positive, but I think he was referring to the folks having to cook over fire and deal with power outages, not property damage. No of us here are immune to being douchey.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ohh you poor thing? Your misery has been forgotten?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Sure but who's dad would win a fistfight on skis?
    My dad apparently can ski switch on tele skis, so that counts for something

And I wasn't referring to the property damage and overall mess, but rather the whole whiny, "We got trapped here without power and our food was going bad and we had to cook over a fire" line from the person the news interviewed.

Power's out? Put your food in a cooler. It's not winter? Put the cooler in the creek. Cooking over a fire? Sounds nice. Some of my best life experiences have been being stranded somewhere for days. Really builds character and community. Sorry to pee on your umbrella, Brit, I hope things are okay around your place and you get the assistance you need

And I wasn't referring to the property damage and overall mess, but rather the whole whiny, "We got trapped here without power and our food was going bad and we had to cook over a fire" line from the person the news interviewed.

Power's out? Put your food in a cooler. It's not winter? Put the cooler in the creek. Cooking over a fire? Sounds nice. Some of my best life experiences have been being stranded somewhere for days. Really builds character and community. Sorry to pee on your umbrella, Brit, I hope things are okay around your place and you get the assistance you need
    As far as I know from friends checking on it my place is fine, thanks.

Plenty in my neighborhood are pretty badly damaged though.

But some concern for others is always appreciated from the lofty moral highlands of the padded seats.

Even if it comes with an umbrella joke...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

the lofty moral highlands of the padded seats
    Excellent. Filing that away

Skiing switch on teles is rather easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Skiing switch on teles is rather easy.
    well, it looks easy when peering down at the lowly commoners from the lofty highlands of the padded seats

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    well, it looks easy when peering down at the lowly commoners from the lofty highlands of the padded seats
    In reality, if you can ice skate or roller skate backwards you can make tele turns backwards.

Going back to this...

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Pretty insane that an out of bounds full burial under 5' of debris was uncovered by ski patrol quickly enough for the victim to have no significant injuries.
    I agree, props to BC and his colleagues. And everyone should have the patrol number saved on their phone 360-300-7070

I don't know how well you know Baker, but that guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time, yet in one of the better places in terms of being seen. Hemispheres is sandwiched between the two inbounds areas. It's a giant terrain trap, so patrol does control work in mornings, and there are eyes on it all day from the Pan Dome side.

The gate is by the top of chair 8 patrol shack, so everyone leaving the area there has ridden the chair, and they're all going to re-enter the inbounds below The Elbow on the chair 5 side or one of the many lines into Razor Hone Creek aka The Canyon, which itself is inbounds.

Name:  hemisabove.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  131.3 KB

ETA: On a nice day Hemis can be a real shitshow.

Name:  hemis3.jpeg
Views: 891
Size:  98.9 KB
    Last edited by Ted Striker; 02-11-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    In reality, if you can ice skate or roller skate backwards you can make tele turns backwards.
    Speak for yourself hippie.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<