Page 70 of 117 FirstFirst ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2903
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    In reality, if you can ice skate or roller skate backwards you can make tele turns backwards.
    There is a common denominator there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Going back to this...

I agree, props to BC and his colleagues. And everyone should have the patrol number saved on their phone 360-300-7070

I don't know how well you know Baker, but that guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time, yet in one of the better places in terms of being seen. Hemispheres is sandwiched between the two inbounds areas. It's a giant terrain trap, so patrol does control work in mornings, and there are eyes on it all day from the Pan Dome side.

The gate is by the top of chair 8 patrol shack, so everyone leaving the area there has ridden the chair, and they're all going to re-enter the inbounds below The Elbow on the chair 5 side or one of the many lines into Razor Hone Creek aka The Canyon, which itself is inbounds.

Attachment 315268

ETA: On a nice day Hemis can be a real shitshow.

Attachment 315269
    In a nutshell, yes. We do avalanche mitigation to try and ensure the safety of the inbounds riders below, not ensure the safety of the backcountry, out of ski area, skiers above. How those are different is up to your interpretation. The canyon had just opened, and our patrol director was nearby watching the entire area, and two of our pro staff were in perfect position to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    You're probably used to that though
    We did that joke a few pages back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I hope Greenwater gets cleaned up and its fridges powered. Trying to live daily life in wet mess with out regular amenities can be rough and not quite the carefree campfire lock in from your youth. I grew up dealing with aftermaths from hurricanes, and it wasnt quite as fun for my parents as it was for me.

Anyway, I'll be raising the umbrella on Thursday. I've been finishing my restoration on the on3p jmos I picked up. Its interesting skiing a R/C/R ski compared to the directional one I'm used to. I was worried about the tail rocker, but I actually like how the tail cuts out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

I love Baker and I ski it all the time with my friends in Bham, but it does have a track record of being sketchy...

Every once in awhile it's good to be a local who isn't employed by the mtn

Super green day on the nwac forecast, reports of solid conditions, then this...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B8fZ_Fln...d=s4d1ge9zbry1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was a serious wtf. Also what's up with the lack of forecast for the east side of the south cascades?

When you drop a large cornice all bets are off and I doubt there's all that much correlation between avi conditions and cornice stability. Similar event triggered the 30'?! deep slide on Ruby Mtn a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by DBerd View Post
    When you drop a large cornice all bets are off and I doubt there's all that much correlation between avi conditions and cornice stability. Similar event triggered the 30'?! deep slide on Ruby Mtn a couple years back.
    Yeah that and snowmobiles. Anything goes when you launch a snowmobile 40 ft onto a slab.

Interesting phenomenon. That area had seen quite a bit of skier compaction this winter as its a really popular slackcountry spot, right? Yet, none of those skiers had triggered the slide on that early season layer, even when the pack was much shallower and wouldnt have supported their weight as much. Not to mention, how did the literal feet of rain that fell on that snow not destroy/crush/melt/bond that surface layer it slid on? Snow is weird. It'll be interesting to see the NWAC report when it comes out.

Here's the telementry for White Pass last Friday night/Saturday am, when they got their last significant snowfall:

Name:  Screenshot (9).png
Views: 1333
Size:  69.3 KB

100 mph gusts and 50+ mph sustained winds, combined with heavy precip with below 32 F temps. The slope that slid is the wind loaded side of the crest. All this occurred after the last major rain event there and I believe it has not rained there since last Friday afternoon (you can see the 33 F in the telementry for when the rain switched to snow there). Seems like a perfect recipe for a slab to form and sit multiple days before releasing on the last rain crust.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Here's the telementry for White Pass last Friday night/Saturday am, when they got their last significant snowfall:

Name:  Screenshot (9).png
Views: 1333
Size:  69.3 KB

100 mph gusts and 50+ mph sustained winds, combined with heavy precip with below 32 F temps. The slope that slid is the wind loaded side of the crest. All this occurred after the last major rain event there and I believe it has not rained there since last Friday afternoon (you can see the 33 F in the telementry for when the rain switched to snow there). Seems like a perfect recipe for a slab to form and sit multiple days before releasing on the last rain crust.
    Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

The quick writeup on NWAC makes it seem like the slide ripped all the way to the ground, not on a recent raincrust. I wouldnt questions a recent slab forming and sliding, but it seems crazy to think that after all the rain events and heavy loading of the winter, the entire snowpack would release to the ground where apparently no real bond had formed.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

The quick writeup on NWAC makes it seem like the slide ripped all the way to the ground, not on a recent raincrust. I wouldnt questions a recent slab forming and sliding, but it seems crazy to think that after all the rain events and heavy loading of the winter, the entire snowpack would release to the ground where apparently no real bond had formed.
    See the Hudge Campbell Basin Slide.

Put enough force in on a steep enough slope and it will slide. Probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    See the Hudge Campbell Basin Slide.

Put enough force in on a steep enough slope and it will slide. Probably.
    What was the weak layer/explanation for that one? Was it a recent rain event that percolated down but the liquid became trapped or something? Plus, a large, aggressive amount of bombing of course.

The groomers are fast and chalky with some soft spots. The only off piste I've tried was super icey, and I've only heard reports of the same. Maybe it will soften up but it is still mainly cloudy and will get only more so.

The mountain seems filled with those of a greyier and older variety. I guess that's the norm midweek.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    What was the weak layer/explanation for that one? Was it a recent rain event that percolated down but the liquid became trapped or something? Plus, a large, aggressive amount of bombing of course.
    NWAC's take

"The ski patrol at Crystal Mountain on Sunday and Monday produced consistent deep wet slab releases with large explosive charges releasing to deep layers from early this winter. These avalanches were generally on N to E slopes at about 6-7000 feet with crowns of 4 to 6 feet and up to 10 feet in spots with the High Campbell chair and some trees destroyed. See photos at the Crystal Mountain web site. They also reported similar natural releases were seen in the adjacent Mt Rainier National Park.

On Tuesday 11 March, NWAC observer Dallas Glass also found recent very large wet slab releases on Kendall Peak at Snoqualmie Pass. Several wet slab avalanches began at about the 5500 ft elevation on primarily W aspects on slopes of about 35-40 degrees. They were classified as D 2.5, R 2/3 natural wet slabs and ran about 1000 feet. These slides likely released Saturday when the area received over 3 inches of rain to elevations above 5500 feet. A video of the slide area and debris fields can be seen here NWAC channel.

While it is unlikely these deep wet slab avalanches could be human triggered, it remains a possibility, especially if initiated by a thin spot in the slab such as near rocks or trees. As liquid water has now penetrated to deep in the snowpack in places that have received significant recent rain these concerns should remain into the spring, especially during times of rain or extended warm periods. It may also be possible to initiate a wet slab release via a loose wet avalanche triggering a deeper layer. As a result of this recent activity, wet slab avalanches will now be listed as a concern near and west of the crest."

https://www.nwac.us/avalanche-foreca...e-pass/#photos

And this is the Forecast for the time of the accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I triggered a ~15' foot crown with explosives that looked similar to that. Heavy wind loading, impressive looking crown but tapered fast and not that much debris. Was not really representative of the wider snowpack profile.

Sidenote, and perhaps a longshot - my wife left her beloved Oyuki mittens on the top of the car pulling out of Lot 4 on Sunday. Obviously they didn't make it back down to Seattle. She called Lost & Found, but no dice so far.

Any chance someone spotted and grabbed those? She was parked at the back of Lot 4. Black and grey Oyuki mittens, look like these: https://usa.oyuki.com/shop/hand-wear/tamashii-gtx-mitt

Longshot, but if someone happened to pick them up, would make her day.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
    Sidenote, and perhaps a longshot - my wife left her beloved Oyuki mittens on the top of the car pulling out of Lot 4 on Sunday. Obviously they didn't make it back down to Seattle. She called Lost & Found, but no dice so far.

Any chance someone spotted and grabbed those? She was parked at the back of Lot 4. Black and grey Oyuki mittens, look like these: https://usa.oyuki.com/shop/hand-wear/tamashii-gtx-mitt

Longshot, but if someone happened to pick them up, would make her day.
    Mittens and gloves are typically spotted sans mates. And if a confirmed pair were spotted the likelihood of that pair being the correct size would be too low to warrant making a worthwhile effort to pick them up. My opinion of course.

After light snowfall this morning and a nice break in the weather around lunch time, it would appear that Old Man Winter has flipped the switch for the Sunday night sesh.

Free refills anyone?

The 4 one 0 is washed out, blocking access to of our favorite zones, so we went to the high 12. Not sure why the snow report said 3", it was more like 12". Stood in some long lines and pondered why snowboarders lack the ability to count to 4. Bailed and went for a long walk. Lapped bottomless in the lower trees that always seem to deliver. Generally stable, but a little more reactive in late afternoon after the wind and snow picked up. Some sluffiness was managed.

Picking up a pair of protests for the wife might have been one of my better life choices. Fits her skiing style wonderfully.

Breaking trail was a rather unpleasant suffer fest at times.

Sneaker pow day at Mission. My personal favorite.

Stevens was stellar today. Hardly anyone there and deep, light snow everywhere. So glad everyone goes somewhere else when mid-winter break/President’s Day rolls around. We even saw the sun. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4152.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	316267
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

It was a little crowded, but the last two days at Alpental were stellar. No complaints. Deep and spongy on a soft base.