Page 108 of 117 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2903
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    All I know for sure is what I quoted from the published court case. "Crystal does not have exclusive right to use the land and that the SUP permit allows members of the public to access the area without using Crystal Mountain's lifts." From that statement, I inferred Crystal cannot charge everyone for parking. For one, how would Crystal charge a non-lift user a parking fee? Are they going to have a guy on the boulevard asking everyone that drives by for payment? It seems to me if Crystal must allow non-lift users access they also are prevented from charging those non-lift users a fee to have that access. If this were not true, what would prevent Crystal from charging a fee that is so high that they effectively eliminate all non-lift users from accessing? But this inference could be wrong. And to be clear, this is not access within the ski area boundary, but access outside the ski area boundary. Crystal could charge a fee to travel uphill in the ski area (if they wanted to).
    In sum, you do not know. I don't like it, but it's a fact that not only are the parking passes increasing in cost, but now all of A lot is permit only. I'm detecting a trend.
    I really don't care about A lot. I don't have an A lot pass and never thought about getting one. But I do not like the pattern of charging more and more for A lot and expanding the size of A lot. And keeping A lot huge even on empty mid-week days. And I would be upset if they start charging for parking in B and C lots.
    Again, your stated principles are inconsistent. You don't care about A lot, but then you do. Is this how most of your arguments go? btw it's huDge.
    You are correct about the SUP being the area all the way to East Peak. But I have never seen Crystal try to dictate uphill use outside of their ski area boundary (and do not see any nexus for them to try this, unless it relates to a public safety issue). As you pointed out, the SUP area is much larger than their current ski area boundary.
    So I think that we now agree that Crystal can in fact limit uphill access to East Peak and for all intents and purposes, Bullion Basin.

I just have a hard time following you.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

FOIA submitted to Forest Service asking the question of how Crystal gets away with charging for A lot and whether they can charge for the other lots. Should get a response in several months.

How about one asking how Alterra can sell more tickets than the CCC allows?

Ultimately, the cost of skiing in the PNW will continue to rise as long as environmentalists keep threatening to sue.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Worth keeping in mind if you're up there that the GW and Crystal fire departments who would be your first responders for near any event are streched pretty tight right now.
    Ah, so basically same rules as spring: don't do anything too stupid and if you fuck up, accept your fate and don't call for help

I went for a long drive for a reasonable hike to a mountain that's not far off the PCT but boasts 100+ visible named peaks from its summit. Didn't have time to continue down to GW as I needed to make it back to exit 63 while the highway was closed for blasting so I could have a traffic-free drive back to Summit East

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Awww hell naw.

Add more processes and restrictions to an already shitty shit show. A 2 mile line to even enter the parking area while someone has process your payment.

Great.

Paying to park won’t deter most skiers on a good day if you are thinking people won’t ski due to a parking fee.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So charge more, $50 per car per day would change the incentive. I think $20/day waived with 3 or more would get more people to carpool, reducing congestion. If its not enough raise the price until it is.
    We can bitch about Altera mismanaging the blvd all we want but it isn't the real issue. Its too cheap to ski Crystal and the huge number of people (cars) trying to get to the mountain any given weekend, and their relative preparedness and experience. If the folks going all grew up driving in snow and knew how traction works it would be much less of a problem. There used to be 6000-8000 Xtal pass holders in the Seattle area, last season I heard it was well over 30,000. Many of them didn't grow up driving in the mountains. I-90 is significantly better maintained than it was 20 years ago but we see a fuck ton of accident caused shutdowns and fuckshows. Its also been 12 years since I have seen a WSP trooper conducting a chain check at the blvd and most of the people he was turning around were in Subarus not minivans or Camerys.

Ikon pass has upset the market balance for what a Crystal pass should cost with regard to other local options. This is true across the ciuntry Charging for parking would be a good option to allow localities to adjust back to a stable market price. I think a $200-300/season parking pass paired next to a $20--$40 /day parking fee would do a lot. Over the last 8 years everything around here has got more expensive, except the cost to ski crystal.

Setting up a payment system which doesn't clog the road is easy, just go visit any of the resorts which currently charge for parking... Pretty much all areas on I70 charge for parking. Might make getting out of the lots a pain in the ass but would also help disperse down hill traffic.

The other option is to just get rid of B lot. Folks will figure out how to carpool from enumclaw real quick and congestion won't be a problem. You'll also have to leave Seattle at 4am.

The easiest way, and pretty much the only sure way to ease traffic congestion is to limit parking either through price or availability. This is true for cities and ski areas. Cheap and available parking (when combined with demand drive congestion. Get rid of or significantly reduce the parking and traffic gets much better. If ya cant park or its so expensive you don't want to - ya wont go or you'll find another way.

Snow in the PNW 2019-20

My GX was stolen from the alley behind my house in West Seattle Sunday night / Monday morning.

2007 Lexus GX470 - Dark Grey. Pretty clean.

Seattle PD says this town is not a a chopshop / export town. They are saying the car is likely still in town and whomever stole it is likely using it for shelter.

I’d like to get this thing back before it smells of meth and bumsex.

If you see a clean grey GX in an out of place location, please shoot me a note.

Plates: BLZ1254

(Currently no rocketbox or bike rack on it)

Thanks-

-Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nickwm21; 09-22-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Plates?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    So charge more, $50 per car per day would change the incentive. I think $20/day waived with 3 or more would get more people to carpool, reducing congestion. If its not enough raise the price until it is.
    We can bitch about Altera mismanaging the blvd all we want but it isn't the real issue. Its too cheap to ski Crystal and the huge number of people (cars) trying to get to the mountain any given weekend, and their relative preparedness and experience. If the folks going all grew up driving in snow and knew how traction works it would be much less of a problem. There used to be 6000-8000 Xtal pass holders in the Seattle area, last season I heard it was well over 30,000. Many of them didn't grow up driving in the mountains. I-90 is significantly better maintained than it was 20 years ago but we see a fuck ton of accident caused shutdowns and fuckshows. Its also been 12 years since I have seen a WSP trooper conducting a chain check at the blvd and most of the people he was turning around were in Subarus not minivans or Camerys.

Ikon pass has upset the market balance for what a Crystal pass should cost with regard to other local options. This is true across the ciuntry Charging for parking would be a good option to allow localities to adjust back to a stable market price. I think a $200-300/season parking pass paired next to a $20--$40 /day parking fee would do a lot. Over the last 8 years everything around here has got more expensive, except the cost to ski crystal.

Setting up a payment system which doesn't clog the road is easy, just go visit any of the resorts which currently charge for parking... Pretty much all areas on I70 charge for parking. Might make getting out of the lots a pain in the ass but would also help disperse down hill traffic.

The other option is to just get rid of B lot. Folks will figure out how to carpool from enumclaw real quick and congestion won't be a problem. You'll also have to leave Seattle at 4am.

The easiest way, and pretty much the only sure way to ease traffic congestion is to limit parking either through price or availability. This is true for cities and ski areas. Cheap and available parking (when combined with demand drive congestion. Get rid of or significantly reduce the parking and traffic gets much better. If ya cant park or its so expensive you don't want to - ya wont go or you'll find another way.
    So your answer is to make everything more expensive and price out families that can’t afford it.

Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Plates?
    BLZ1254

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

So your answer is to make everything more expensive and price out families that can’t afford it.
    The base Ikon pass is cheaper than an old fashioned season pass was ~20 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Sweet.

This happened to skiing 30 years ago

The base Ikon pass is cheaper than an old fashioned season pass was ~20 years ago.
    Someone complained that a MHM pass was $829 this season. When I first bought a MHM pass 1993 (?) they were $899.00. Cheap passes are they problem

Snow in the PNW 2019-20

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    This happened to skiing 30 years ago
    True.

I was raised by a single mom and she would drive me to the local “mountain” and sit in the lodge while I tried to kill my self doing 720’s onto flat ice.

Not a chance she could of afforded that with today’s prices even accounting for inflation.

There’s just tons of kids who would love and enjoy skiing/boarding but parents just cant afford it.

But that’s how it’s always been so not sure why I’m complaining now.

Last edited by AK47bp; 09-22-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Someone complained that a MHM pass was $829 this season. When I first bought a MHM pass 1993 (?) they were $899.00. Cheap passes are they problem
    That was probably me. When I moved back to Oregon in 2015, the 2015/2016 pass was somewhere north of $500, I think.

I struggle to get upset about a ski area who leases the public's land charging too little for lift tickets and season passes. Even if that means the overall skiing experience for myself sucks. We have a ski area for those who want the skiing experience to be so expensive that the runs and lifts are empty. It's called the Yellowstone Club.

If Crystal's special use permit requires them to cap ticket sales and they are violating this provision, that would be a different story. But so far, I haven't seen any evidence of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    That was probably me. When I moved back to Oregon in 2015, the 2015/2016 pass was somewhere north of $500, I think.
    In 15/16 I purchased my MHM pass early for $449.00, saved $50.00 buying in spring of '15. Ski check was $30.00. So regular rate was $529.00, you were correct.
    And the $899 rate was early pricing, $999 was regular rate. Even at $1200, 20 days would be $60 per day, not a bad price...golf costs that much for 4-5 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I struggle to get upset about a ski area who leases the public's land charging too little for lift tickets and season passes.
    Even when the tail back of traffic goes to Enumclaw?

I guess those folks should have all just left earlier?

Even when the tail back of traffic goes to Enumclaw?

I guess those folks should have all just left earlier?
    Definitely wasn't a part of the 6+ hour drives multiple mornings leaving for the hill at 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Definitely wasn't a part of the 6+ hour drives multiple mornings leaving for the hill at 4am.
    Me neither.

But you get my point about what happens if everyone does that... right?

Selling three to four times as many season passes as before has knock on...

Me neither.

But you get my point about what happens if everyone does that... right?

Selling three to four times as many season passes as before has knock on...
    Oh I completely understand and agree. I'll have to dig up a photo of one of the lesser insane lift lines and cars being turned around at 8am. If the mountain can hold 1000 people you should sell 1000 passes. I'd agree you can sell 1500 if you can historically show that no more than you can actually accommodate show up on a given day.
    It's one thing when an airline oversells seats and gives you a credit/free flight. It's another when you pay to access leased public lands and get turned around and too bad while the management laughs all the way to the bank and makes zero effort to show they're trying to fix it.
    If I pay for a pass I expect to be able to park and ski. I'd happily pay an increase in pass cost to guarantee that and avoid a rat race.

If I’m leaving at 4 I’m going to whistler. Well, most years that is.

Gotta fill up those weekdays with covid remote workers now!

For skiers and riders who haven’t skied the big mountain terrain and massive acreage of Crystal on a weekday—but now have that freedom—our new passes allow midweek access, along with early and late season weekend access, to one the PNW’s best secrets. From Tuesday King laps to Friday morning Rainier views, our new passes are your ticket to sneak in more weekdays and rediscover what we’ve all got just a few miles from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Damn, that's a lot of pass options!

COMPARE CRYSTAL SEASON PASS PRODUCTS

PASS
    NAME EARLY
    PRICE VALID &
    BLACKOUT DATES INCLUDES A-LOT
    PARKING PASS INCLUDES
    DEMOS PURCHASE
    Local Pass
    (13+yrs) $499* Valid: Midweek, including weekends until 12/20/20 and after 2/27/21
    Restrictions: Not valid peak weekends 12/26/20 through 2/21/21 or holidays 1/18/21 and 2/15/21

Error icon Error icon Buy Now
    Local Hero Pass
    (13+yrs) $899*
    *quantities limited Valid: Midweek, including weekends until 12/20/20 and after 2/27/21
    Restrictions: Not valid peak weekends 12/26/20 through 2/21/21 or holidays 1/18/21 and 2/15/21

Success marker Success marker Buy Now
    Hall Pass
    (13+yrs) $599* Valid: Midweek, including weekends until 12/20/20 and after 2/27/21
    Restrictions: Used by one passholder at a time. Not valid peak weekends 12/26/20 through 2/21/21 or holidays 1/18/21 and 2/15/21

Hall Pass Gold
    (13+yrs) $999*
    *quantities limited Valid: Midweek, including weekends until 12/20/20 and after 2/27/21
    Restrictions: Used by one passholder at a time. Not valid peak weekends 12/26/20 through 2/21/21 or holidays 1/18/21 and 2/15/21

Success marker Success marker Buy Now
    Child Pass
    (5-12yrs) $249* Valid: Midweek, including weekends until 12/20/20 and after 2/27/21

Super Senior Pass
    (80+yrs) $50* Valid: Anytime
    Blackout: None

Tot Pass
    (0-4yrs) $50* Valid: Anytime

Ikon Pass
    (23+yrs) $1049* Valid: Anytime

Ikon Base Pass
    (23+yrs) $749* Valid: Anytime
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    My GX was stolen from the alley behind my house in West Seattle Sunday night / Monday morning.

2007 Lexus GX470 - Dark Grey. Pretty clean.

Seattle PD says this town is not a a chopshop / export town. They are saying the car is likely still in town and whomever stole it is likely using it for shelter.
    According to a few people I know who have been victims, this is true. One bud had his delivery van stolen and then the replacement. Both times the vans surfaced in S Seattle. South Park area in poor shape. The second time my bud found the van after doing his own canvassing. And people were believed to be living in them until ditched for an upgrade.

Sorry man. Will keep an eye out. People suck.