Page 108 of 120 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 2977
    Seattle PD charges $67/hr for a uniformed cop in a cruiser. I doubt the local sheriff is any different. They could probably spend under $50k and staff the storm weekends and busy days with two sheriffs. A lot cheaper than any other ďimprovementĒ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

yeah, but #defundthepolice....

Crustal's recent issues won't be fixed by the chain police.
    Chronic Complainer Experiencing Ikon Cognitive Dissonance Since 2018
    Ow! My Balls!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It just worked for us.

It's not working clearly on the front end though.

You have to enter any date range for your "visit"

Then we were only seeing the midweek pass available, but there's an option there to change order which reveals the full pass.

Transaction completed and email receipt received.

Some really slick website design. The reservation system is going to be fucking awesome.
    Can someone post a link to where to find this info? The link posted before returns 404

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Can someone post a link to where to find this info? The link posted before returns 404
    Requires a token you receive when renewing your parking permit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

and ad blockers in your browser may be fucking with you.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    and ad blockers in your browser may be fucking with you.....
    ^This was my problem.

On the subject of Crustal abuse and errors, at the root is knowingly selling more tickets to a public owned resource than can be satisfied. That is a betrayal of the Public Trust.

As for access road specifics, in the old days, before Boyne/Kircher and on through the Boyne/Kircher ownership, on snow days the management spent significant resources plowing and sanding the access road as well as hiring WSP to stop cars with inadequate traction at the access road juncture with SR410. Each of these functions have been omitted by Alterra Management to the detriment of all pass and lesson clients. Many such clients prepaid for lessons or tickets and yet on several weekend days last year were not able to access the area. To Alterras credit, later on in the season, they did start allocating some resources to access road maintenance, but not enough.

One of the old guard last year on one of the messed up days skied up to me near tears and lamented that "Crystal is done, it's over".

I think that's overreacting and I hope that things normalize there, but it's up to Alterra to step up their responsibility to the public at large as well as Crustal patrons.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ^This was my problem.

On the subject of Crustal abuse and errors, at the root is knowingly selling more tickets to a public owned resource than can be satisfied. That is a betrayal of the Public Trust.

As for access road specifics, in the old days, before Boyne/Kircher and on through the Boyne/Kircher ownership, on snow days the management spent significant resources plowing and sanding the access road as well as hiring WSP to stop cars with inadequate traction at the access road juncture with SR410. Each of these functions have been omitted by Alterra Management to the detriment of all pass and lesson clients. Many such clients prepaid for lessons or tickets and yet on several weekend days last year were not able to access the area. To Alterras credit, later on in the season, they did start allocating some resources to access road maintenance, but not enough.

One of the old guard last year on one of the messed up days skied up to me near tears and lamented that "Crystal is done, it's over".

I think that's overreacting and I hope that things normalize there, but it's up to Alterra to step up their responsibility to the public at large as well as Crustal patrons.
    Gotcha. I mean I've been here 15 years and the entire experience/value proposition at both Crystal and Stevens have really gone down the shitter in that time. I remember when you could get 2/1 nightskiing tickets with a tank of gas from Shell, and the lots were chill. Now I feel like every day is such a clusterfuck that I'm pulling the trigger on an RV/van option in part because I just can't deal with it anymore.

The Cascades need more ski areas, and major expansion of present ski area infrastructure and acreage. /deadhorse

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The Cascades need more ski areas, and major expansion of present ski area infrastructure and acreage. /deadhorse
    Yup. And this is where I diverge from most libuhrals with regard to the Nature Conservancy, the Sierra Club and other environmental groups who attack the ski areas on the basis of environmental impacts but largely ignore the extraction industries like mining and logging (queue Greydon Clark).

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Gotcha. I mean I've been here 15 years and the entire experience/value proposition at both Crystal and Stevens have really gone down the shitter in that time. I remember when you could get 2/1 nightskiing tickets with a tank of gas from Shell, and the lots were chill. Now I feel like every day is such a clusterfuck that I'm pulling the trigger on an RV/van option in part because I just can't deal with it anymore.
    One the one hand, I'm part of the problem too, but it's like none of the infrastructure implemented in the 60s and 70s has been upgraded to support the massive influx of people. The book 'Scale" really explains how growth costs a community.

Seattle used to be the best kept secret in skiing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Good luck with that. Declining and unreliable snow fall in the PNW will keep investors from bankrolling expansion and new development even if there werenít environmental concerns.

I have no problem with ski areas outside or adjacent to Wilderness areas but I would like to see Wilderness stay as is. Itís really the only place to escape the Deplorables. I donít mean just Trump supporters either.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Good luck with that. Declining and unreliable snow fall in the PNW will keep investors from bankrolling expansion and new development even if there weren’t environmental concerns.

I have no problem with ski areas outside or adjacent to Wilderness areas but I would like to see Wilderness stay as is. It’s really the only place to escape the Deplorables. I don’t mean just Trump supporters either.

Lets just turn Paradise Inn into Timberline. Have a handful of lifts that go down below the Inn, and then 2 lifts above it... one to Panorama point (magic mile), and then one to anvil rock that only gets dug out in the spring (palmer). Hikers and tourists would love using the lifts in the summer and fall to get around.

All National Parks and Monuments should be turned into amusement parks. Lifts, gondolas and ebikes for the fat and lazy masses.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Requires a token you receive when renewing your parking permit.
    Excuse my ignorance, but is the only way to get hold of a Crystal parking pass these days to have been grandfathered in? Or are they open for purchase to the general public?

The link posted by Stikki isn't working for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but is the only way to get hold of a Crystal parking pass these days to have been grandfathered in? Or are they open for purchase to the general public?

The link posted by Stikki isn't working for me either.
    They have long been grandfathered in with years long waiting list. No "these days" involved.

Apparently there will be a first come first served sale of of the extra capacity or non renewing in the next few days.

And that will be system for all of them from 21/22.

I would keep your eye out for an announcement that will lead to another website crash anyday now.

It’s one thing for Crystal to restrict pass sales (not that they ever had to?) but is it reasonable to have Altera restrict pass sales to certain areas? So Seattle residents can’t buy one but if they can get an ID or NY zip code they can?

I still can't believe only two years ago Crystal had an 11am parking guarantee.

So it looks like 410's gonna be closed for quite awhile between Greenwater & Enumclaw. Which has me thinking about putzing through the woods from my humble abode here along I-90 and back to partake in recreational opportunities currently unavailable to Covidiot westsiders. Anyone with a pulse on GW these days know if the tavern is still slinging grub and the general store pumping gas?
    "Pay your nickel and take your chances"
    "they don't groom Alpental, they just move shit around."

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    So it looks like 410's gonna be closed for quite awhile between Greenwater & Enumclaw.
    Oof, several weeks? $37 says landslides this fall

Quote Originally Posted by WSDOT
    State Route 410 in and east of Enumclaw will remain closed for several weeks between mileposts 29 and 43 due to hot spots from a wildfire and trees and rocks falling from the burnt slope above the highway. The wildfire burned and weakened trees and roots, loosening rock and debris from the hillside. The trees and large rocks continue to fall to the roadway below, creating unsafe travel conditions for the 14-mile section of SR 410. Tree removal and rock scaling work will continue before damaged guardrail can be replaced and the road can reopen. Follow @wsdot_traffic on Twitter for real-time updates about the SR 410 Enumclaw closure.

Travelers coming from the west (Morton area) can access SR 410 and SR 123 east of the closure by using US 12 through Packwood. Travelers coming from the east (Yakima area) must use SR 410 Chinook Pass and can use SR 123 to get to the open part of US 12 and travel through Packwood. These reroutes could significantly increase travel time.

Danger trees by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Good luck with that. Declining and unreliable snow fall in the PNW will keep investors from bankrolling expansion and new development even if there weren’t environmental concerns.

This is a bullshit talking point, the PNW has some of the most consistent snowfall in the country. The quality may not always be to your liking, but to talk about inconsistency or lack of quantity is just flat out bullshit.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

04/05 and 14/15

I’ll update with more statistics later, but specifically changes in Dec snowfall for the last 10 years vs previous decades.
    Last edited by XavierD; 09-21-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This is a bullshit talking point, the PNW has some of the most consistent snowfall in the country. The quality may not always be to your liking, but to talk about inconsistency or lack of quantity is just flat out bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    04/05 and 14/15
    If you look at the historical data, there are extremely low snow seasons almost every decade for as long as they've been recording this stuff. Otherwise snowfall has remained consistent or perhaps trended upwards a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Also what is =/= what will be, and sooner than we'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    So it looks like 410's gonna be closed for quite awhile between Greenwater & Enumclaw. Which has me thinking about putzing through the woods from my humble abode here along I-90 and back to partake in recreational opportunities currently unavailable to Covidiot westsiders. Anyone with a pulse on GW these days know if the tavern is still slinging grub and the general store pumping gas?
    Power has been intermittent, its being back fed from Crystal generators.

Phone and internet via temporary line and also intermittent.

Last I heard gas station was down to premium only.

The tavern was open over the weekend.

Worth keeping in mind if you're up there that the GW and Crystal fire departments who would be your first responders for near any event are streched pretty tight right now.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    04/05 and 14/15

Iíll update with more statistics later, but specifically changes in Dec snowfall for the last 10 years vs previous decades.
    Surely you're not arguing with Glade's extensive experience here.