Page 9 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Making a post-work effort to get out there, won't get up too high but at least inspect base
    Excellent look forward to a TR

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Currently snowing out my office window here in Bend. 6 inches forecast to fall in town proper. Should be a decent opening for Friday at Bachy, if the forecasted 2 feet shows up by Friday.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Apparently the re-written RCW requires the ski area operator to state the "out of bounds" policy on trail maps. That said, there is a misdemeanor involved should you be caught on any area they manage if it's closed and signage indicates such. Won't find that on the trail map (somewhere in the fine print?). So theoretically, CM could be in the state of grooming / prepping the hill but not be open, light up the board as closed, and you might get in shit being on their permitted area. Regulated terrain now encompasses Three way and a lot of stuff east & north of it so sounds like it's within the policy. Doubt they would go hard core & who's out there watching anyway (now) but I'm curious. Anyone have a take on this?

This isn't a new law. Guessing Crystal's lawyers just decided to include the notice on their trail maps this year. And the law making it a misdemeanor to travel in closed areas was passed in 2011. I don't know how often it gets enforced here, but in UT they call the cops on all the dumbshits who duck the ropes (full disclosure, I was one of them in my youth). I've never understood why people feel the need to skin up to Silver Basin via the resort when it's operating. You can get there outside of Crystal's boundaries, if you really need to ski up there. But again, why? Norse/East Peak/Cement/Morse/Big Crow, etc. are better skiing with way less traffic. I suspect it's because of the "resort is inherently safer" heuristic.

Seems these days you get a lot of beginners or intermediate people touring. They buy all the gear and any idiot can skin up and not look like a beginner. Save the cost of a pass. So 2 hours of touring, looking cool, taking selfies, then a 10 minute snowplow descent. Comical.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Currently snowing out my office window here in Bend. 6 inches forecast to fall in town proper. Should be a decent opening for Friday at Bachy, if the forecasted 2 feet shows up by Friday.
    Pooping NW Redmond.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Did find the uphill travel link which helped. Outside season, nothing looks prohibited and that's about the only time I'd be there. Glad I checked though, you need a card from the ski patrol to climb within their area. Also a board by the chapel to show "no uphill traffic" when they shut it down. East pk. access from the base? Other ways to get there but wonder if they would intervene if you went uphill to the cat track during a closure? That would be something new and different.

More than anything else, I hope "Vinches" i.e. becomes a thing...

I'm bring my tape measure on the next trip to Crystal... those look short to be in inches....

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post
    Yeah I thought the camera was supposed to make things look bigger.

But, 11 Vinches and counting...

Attachment 303744

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Did find the uphill travel link which helped. Outside season, nothing looks prohibited and that's about the only time I'd be there. Glad I checked though, you need a card from the ski patrol to climb within their area. Also a board by the chapel to show "no uphill traffic" when they shut it down. East pk. access from the base? Other ways to get there but wonder if they would intervene if you went uphill to the cat track during a closure? That would be something new and different.
    Closing all access to Three Way during the season is new.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Closing all access to Three Way during the season is new.
    Not seeing that anywhere. The far gate out there should allow egress to 3-way, right?

Depends on what " no uphill traffic" means.

At face value, it means closure, although the left fork at the runway used to be fair game.

there's the trail from the cabins to bear gap...

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    there's the trail from the cabins to bear gap...
    That's a weedy way to go.

And __legally__ that still uses the permit area, so if the no uphill sign is up and middle management has a binder...

The way I read it, left at the runway is still ok assuming the uphill travel lights are not on and the Quiksilver uphill route is approved for the day. The new map on the uphill page has the little spur off the Quiksilver uphill route.

https://www.crystalmountainresort.co.../uphill-travel

Just tossing pebbles.

This is the way I see it, fwiw:

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've never understood why people feel the need to skin up to Silver Basin via the resort when it's operating. You can get there outside of Crystal's boundaries, if you really need to ski up there. But again, why? Norse/East Peak/Cement/Morse/Big Crow, etc. are better skiing with way less traffic.
    ... except when wanting to get to Morse or Sheep of course.

Moar snow plz Ullr

I'm surprised they don't just cut a trail in the woods looker's left of "Boondogle" and call it the uphill only track. Alpy should do the same in the Source Lake drainage. If I was running the show, I'd charge for parking there too. Plowing ain't free. That said, I never go to the Alp anymore, so it's easy to pontificate.

As usual, despite all the verbiage and the failure of language, if they want to be pricks and deny access they can according to canon.
    If they don't want to be pricks, they can choose to interpret more liberally.

Man...a monster of a bomb cyclone is hitting the west coast and it's missing pretty much all of WA and BC...

And Idaho and 1/2 of Montana.

Who pissed off ULLR?

Well, unless your ski area benefits from strong northeasterlies.

That’s a decent forecast for the windy hill, particularly with guns blazing.

Name:  IMG_6645.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  169.1 KB

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5WD0Cqp...d=vwrsfxfhshcs

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I'm surprised they don't just cut a trail in the woods looker's left of "Boondogle" and call it the uphill only track. Alpy should do the same in the Source Lake drainage. If I was running the show, I'd charge for parking there too. Plowing ain't free. That said, I never go to the Alp anymore, so it's easy to pontificate.
    Charge for parking? Shut your whore mouth

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Well, unless your ski area benefits from strong northeasterlies.

That’s a decent forecast for the windy hill, particularly with guns blazing.

Name:  IMG_6645.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  169.1 KB

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5WD0Cqp...d=vwrsfxfhshcs
    I dont think the snoqualmie pass has reciprocity yet, as both areas have to be open? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I dont think the snoqualmie pass has reciprocity yet, as both areas have to be open? Right?
    correct, and as far as I know neither has announced an opening date, but these conditions could herald the 2019 WROD.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    And Idaho and 1/2 of Montana.

Who pissed off ULLR?
    My understanding of the situation is that ULLR is being extorted and/or bribed by parties as yet unnamed. But the word on the street is that there was no Quid Pro Quo for ULLR to make it snow in Oregon/Northern Cali/Colorado and Utah while keeping it dry in the Northern most parts of NW America and BC.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Charge for parking? Shut your whore mouth

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    Day users who don't buy a ticket or have a seasons pass only, of course! A good strategy would be to make Lot 4 for season passholders and paid parking pass holders only (the resort could give a day pass to daily ticket buyers too - put a kiosk at Lot 4). Everybody else gets a boot! I'm full of solutions!