Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in the shadow of the white rocks
    Posts
    1,580

    PSA: STFU over the # of holes in skis in Gear Swap

    Recently I’ve spent hours PM’ing & lost numerous sales over “Bruh your skis have 1-2 mounts already!?? Where/what are they?! Let me share my GnarGnar edit with you.....”

    Let’s put this one to rest:


    YOU:

    •Likely ski a 490’ hill
    •Wear Jeans
    •Ski a DIN 17 at 126 pounds
    •Are looking to buy a ski on a message board from strangers
    •Spend more time reading Blister than skiing
    •Don’t bend that plug boot anyway
    •Are negotiating a price of lesser than ~$1/cm



    Now before we have a TGR safe space forum pop up & have butt hurt sessions, it is acceptable to ski a ski with 3-5 mounts & a few core shots. I’ve put 6 (ok mild box of shame moment here) mounts to a set of boards, skied em hard & passed em to a buddy who has beat em for 3 more seasons. This was a WhiteDot Carbon Ranger

    In closing, please stop killing our stoke with CAD drawings of hole conflicts. Doubtful you’d notice a +/- 3 cm mount anyway after driving to the mtn with your helmet on.
    Last edited by iriponsnow; 10-18-2019 at 10:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    67
    Tell us how your really feel


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,203
    Amen brother.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    3,155

    PSA: STFU over the # of holes in skis in Gear Swap

    The aesthetics of exposed hole plugs is unbearable
    Uno mas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    3,097
    Doesnít everyone buy boxes of different colors so you can match up the plug to the home?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    No longer somewhere in Idaho
    Posts
    941
    I was given a pair of rossi scratch bc's with 48 separate holes, I patrolled on them for four seasons after cutting off the tails. Subsequently I've been much less concerned about prior mounts.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Gravity always wins...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Driving2VT
    Posts
    3,155
    Does it really match though?
    Uno mas

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,258
    In FS posts, just show a photo of a ruler next to the holes with "0" on the line, in both directions. Potential buyers can decide from there, no discussion required.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    83
    only trying to repay all the things I've learned from everyone on here. should have made all the holes red

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,817
    Iíve been guilty of stressing over hole conflicts on skis in GS. Sometimes itís my gut saying I donít need another pair of skis, sometimes, I just donít feel like filling 2 or more precious mounts with wood dowels, epoxying said wood, then sanding them back down.

    I can see why shops stop at 3, but if you fill the previous holes correctly you can definitely get more out of them.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    2,129
    All of this depends on price. Donít go asking full used price for 2+ mounts and 90% of maggots wonít hassle you.

    Jongs will be jongs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    only trying to repay all the things I've learned from everyone on here. should have made all the holes red
    You're fine. Keep making CAD drawings. CAD is RAD. Some of us go in for that sort of thing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    11,082
    Just buy new and avoid the hole wars.

    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,119
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    All of this depends on price. Donít go asking full used price for 2+ mounts and 90% of maggots wonít hassle you.

    Jongs will be jongs.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    You're fine. Keep making CAD drawings. CAD is RAD. Some of us go in for that sort of thing.
    Werd

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,886
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Recently I’ve spent hours PM’ing & lost numerous sales over “Bruh your skis have 1-2 mounts already!?? Where/what are they?! Let me share my GnarGnar edit with you.....”

    Let’s put this one to rest:


    YOU:

    •Likely ski a 490’ hill
    •Wear Jeans
    •Ski a DIN 17 at 126 pounds
    •Are looking to buy a ski on a message board from strangers
    •Spend more time reading Blister than skiing
    •Don’t bend that plug boot anyway
    •Are negotiating a price of lesser than ~$1/cm



    Now before we have a TGR safe space forum pop up & have butt hurt sessions, it is acceptable to ski a ski with 3-5 mounts & a few core shots. I’ve put 6 (ok mild box of shame moment here) mounts to a set of boards, skied em hard & passed em to a buddy who has beat em for 3 more seasons. This was a WhiteDot Carbon Ranger

    In closing, please stop killing our stoke with CAD drawings of hole conflicts. Doubtful you’d notice a +/- 3 cm mount anyway after driving to the mtn with your helmet on.
    Or you can choose not to engage on those pm’s.
    If you don’t want to talk about it, say so...
    Cut and paste this:
    “Lots of holes, as-is, not discussing, price is firm, take it or leave it”

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in the shadow of the white rocks
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    All of this depends on price. Donít go asking full used price for 2+ mounts and 90% of maggots wonít hassle you.

    Jongs will be jongs.
    I saw $24 net to me on the last set of boards I sold & entertained dozens of PMs over the integrity of the skis with 2 mounts?!

    My point is that skis are not going to self destruct.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post

    My point is that skis are not going to self destruct.
    That totally depends on the integrity of how the holes were plugged and the build of the ski. Repeated water intrusion could definitely weaken the core, especially in a ski with a light or poor quality core to begin with. So lots of variables.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,220
    " How many mounts " seems like a reasonable question to me ?

    I had to scope winter rubber on rims for the Tacoma, for 3 months I paged thru dozens of adds on FBs from people who seemed SO cluesless that they didn't put in the comments what vehicle the fucking wheels came off of

    suffice to say If you put the relevant data and maybe some pictures ( or of your mom ) of what you are trying to sell in the add it will weed out people who would have had to have ask those stupid questions AND you are more likely to sell whatever you are trying to sell
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,340
    My Lhasa fats have 18 inserts in each ski. They are fine and have trucked for the last 5 seasons.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,498
    This is why I just give my old or neglected gear away. Not worth the stress of negative feedback over trivial shit. Nobody ever complains about the price of free stuff.. well ALMOST noboday anyway..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    1,170
    How much bacon are these worth? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3203.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	298380


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    How much bacon are these worth? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3203.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	298380


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    At this point, those are pretty much a universal mounting system. Good to go!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in the shadow of the white rocks
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    That totally depends on the integrity of how the holes were plugged and the build of the ski. Repeated water intrusion could definitely weaken the core, especially in a ski with a light or poor quality core to begin with. So lots of variables.
    Show me a single example of a contemporary ski the Ďblew upí when plugged.

    As stated, last set of skis went for $24 & upon looking at pair before that; sold for $150 shipped with Warden13ís. By my math Warden13ís weíre worth $75, shipping was over $50 & the ski was $25 minus the shipping supplies, my time & gas to drive to UPS.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,096
    I only buy skis that come with holes in them, since 2011 anyway.

    Do # of mounts matter to me if I only ski switch?
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,886
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Show me a single example of a contemporary ski the ‘blew up’ when plugged. .
    There was one at bbiu19.
    You could see the core rot around the hole where it snapped.

    Edit: here it is!
    Name:  8755D0D8-E6C7-41BE-9843-99496A1A5A7E.jpeg
Views: 495
Size:  76.6 KB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •