Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Maybe I’m doing it wrong but here’s my philosophy.

-Try to give as much data as I can. If I don’t know a hole pattern, tell people I’m not going to figure it out and sell a little cheaper for the X factor.

-Price things fair or a little under what I think is fair and take offers from people I know. For jongsters, tell them to pay asking or GTFU.

-If something is worth less than $150 or so, I’ll give it away to someone I know and even cover shipping most of the time or ask for a few bucks for happy hour because there are a bunch of bars next to the post office.

-If you’re new, only buy stuff in GS swap and never give out deals back, there’s a good chance I won’t respond to your messages.

-If I buy something new, it’s usually because I know what I want so I use it a bunch and sell it cheap when I’m done using it. If it’s something I want to try but can’t demo, I’ll buy it cheap and either keep it if I like it or sell it cheaper after trying it and not wanting to keep it.

-If I’m buying something with a bunch of holes, I’ll generally give my BSL and ask the seller I they think a certain binding will fit close to where it should be skied. If they can’t answer or don’t want to, I’ll move on and not lose sleep.

-I’ll put as much info as I can, my expectations and what I’m willing to do in my for sale post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Clearly iriponsnow is NOT all about maximizing profit. He has recent threads offering Wootests for free, brokering ski sales for a charitable cause, and recently agreeing to sell at low-ball prices. His blow-up looks like a classic case of a generous guy who enjoys being generous, but eventually ends up feeling like people have been taking advantage of his generosity, instead of appreciating him. You know...eventually feeling like he gives an inch, and they take a mile.

1) We could hook-up iriponsnow on his next purchase, to even things out for him. And we could show more appreciation for the hookups he dishes out.

2) But let's keep perpetuating the false myth that holes ruin skis. Those of us who know, we can benefit more in the long run off this false myth, this market inefficiency---by being smart enough to save more on the deflated buying price than we lose on the deflated resale price years later when we eventually resell it.
    Concur with #1, but you are simplifying #2. I don't think people are saying holes "ruin" skis. Can they? Obviously, if not sealed properly, as has been witnessed by posters in this thread. It's not that difficult to understand really, water seeps in an improperly sealed hole, weakens core, issues ensue. That's one reason why more holes = less $, the other and more likely one to reduce value of the ski is binding placement interference. Even a ski with only 1 mount can have issues if screws aren't sealed propertly, but more holes definitely ups the chance. Some are more comfortable with taking that chance with internet sales than others. More often that not = no issues. Sometimes = issues.

Then there is wet vs mostly dry snow skiing, build quality of the ski, storing them in high humidity area instead of low humidity, yada yada yada....

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Concur with #1, but you are simplifying #2. I don't think people are saying holes "ruin" skis. Can they? Obviously, if not sealed properly, as has been witnessed by posters in this thread. It's not that difficult to understand really, water seeps in an improperly sealed hole, weakens core, issues ensue. That's one reason why more holes = less $, the other and more likely one to reduce value of the ski is binding placement interference. Even a ski with only 1 mount can have issues if screws aren't sealed propertly, but more holes definitely ups the chance. Some are more comfortable with taking that chance with internet sales than others. More often that not = no issues. Sometimes = issues.

Then there is wet vs mostly dry snow skiing, build quality of the ski, storing them in high humidity area instead of low humidity, yada yada yada....
    I hear ya. Yes, it's better than my simplified absolute language that you wrote about it in terms of "chance" & risk in the face of incomplete information. Lazy wording on my part. Now back to my fake smear campaign against holes.

Hey everyone! Never STFU about holes! Better safe than sorry! Ship me all your worthless swiss-cheesed SuperGoats, 202cm Lotus138, etc!

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

After 3 mounts, lucky if you can get a pair of demos mounted for the final one. Main reason I feel the value declines with number of mounts. I’d have no compunctions mounting a ski with metal, or ON3P/Praxis skis with 4 or 5 mounts if there’s enough space for it.

I was always confused why people seemed to shy away more from skis with inserts/resale value seemed to take a hit. If anything they should be worth more because that mount can always be used sometime in the future

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    After 3 mounts, lucky if you can get a pair of demos mounted for the final one. Main reason I feel the value declines with number of mounts. I’d have no compunctions mounting a ski with metal, or ON3P/Praxis skis with 4 or 5 mounts if there’s enough space for it.

I was always confused why people seemed to shy away more from skis with inserts/resale value seemed to take a hit. If anything they should be worth more because that mount can always be used sometime in the future

I'm mostly with you on that, but I guess the counterargument might be that if the existing holes don't work for you, there's now an even bigger hole that you need to work around. I've also had pretty good success doing partially overlapping conventional holes by filling the old ones with epoxy mixed with sawdust, and then drilling for inserts. Probably would be hard to keep the drill from wandering if drilling freehand, but with a good jig it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Personal preference, I guess. I love the idea of inserts, but just haven't grown fond of them as a detail in a second hand ski. In my experience they're just something I might be inconvenienced by. I don't like that they reduce available space. I really don't like dealing with the aftermath of poorly executed installs. Usually this is something that won't be obvious till I get them in my hands, so I choose to spare myself the potential heartache. My loss, your gain, if your opinion differs.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Personal preference, I guess. I love the idea of inserts, but just haven't grown fond of them as a detail in a second hand ski. In my experience they're just something I might be inconvenienced by. I don't like that they reduce available space. I really don't like dealing with the aftermath of poorly executed installs. Usually this is something that won't be obvious till I get them in my hands, so I choose to spare myself the potential heartache. My loss, your gain, if your opinion differs.
    Having poorly installed inserts before, they are a pain in the ass to deal with, so I agree with avoiding them. Inserts are really nice for me if I don’t expect to sell a ski (which there are a few skis I don’t expect to sell ever), and want to be able to pull the bindings off easily, outside that, I usually avoid inserts in used skis.

PSA: STFU over the # of holes in skis in Gear Swap

Hey, don’t disrespect us midwestern skiers with that 500ft of vertical comment
    Last edited by willgoelz; 10-21-2019 at 09:00 AM.