Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Show me a single example of a contemporary ski the ‘blew up’ when plugged.

As stated, last set of skis went for $24 & upon looking at pair before that; sold for $150 shipped with Warden13’s. By my math Warden13’s we’re worth $75, shipping was over $50 & the ski was $25 minus the shipping supplies, my time & gas to drive to UPS.
    E.J. Poplawski snapped a ski with a prior mount, granted that was at the 2006 tele extreme freeskiing event in Crested Butte, but it is an example. Maybe it would have happened anyway given the extreme nature of the event, who knows. Cred to that guy for being a total badass and still competing in various snow related competitions with a prosthetic leg though. I don't think he ever pointed to the prior mount being an issue, just to clarify.

I don't worry too much up to 3 mounts if they were done well and the ski is solid. Being unhappy with money you received on a sale is your own fault, so maybe STFU on the whining.

333 skis snap if you just say "hole", so there's that too.

I ski without binders so, problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cdalpra View Post
    I ski without binders so, problem solved
    Not relevant to this thread. BUT the real question is do you have holes in those skis? or do you ride an undrilled ski?

So what are you saying? Skilyft’s Swiss cheese is worth the same as an equivalent ski with 1-2 mounts? It’s not. That ski is worth beer money at best to the skier who can slide right into one of those mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    . Being unhappy with money you received on a sale is your own fault, so maybe STFU on the whining.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    There was one at bbiu19.
    You could see the core rot around the hole where it snapped.

Edit: here it is!
    Attachment 298383
    Perhaps you should’ve verified it with a CAD drawing

Heh...

This place is legendary in regard to people nerding out on all sorts of sliding on snow minutia, not to mention binding mount location.
    So, you know, filter accordingly, but don't assume that those who are nerding out don't have the chops.

I have seen skis fail because of too many mounts in too close of proximity...
    It depends a lot on the layup of the ski.
    Two sheets of metal, no problem, swiss cheese away.
    Full carbon is another story altogether.

I have snapped a ski that had wood rot core due to seepage.
    That aside, please do carry on providing amusement.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

When listing: Give accurate description of skis (i.e. # of mounts, top sheet and base details) and price.
    A detailed accurate description will reduce your stress. If you do this and douchenozzle JONGS ask you stupid questions: ignore and move on
    I find that there are only two ways to sell skis here: 1) If you are giving the buyer a great deal [because you don't want to get gauged by egay]; or 2) if you are selling the bro-brah ski de jour.
    If you are looking for a fair deal, sell on eBay, or KSL
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

E.J. Poplawski snapped a ski with a prior mount, granted that was at the 2006 tele extreme freeskiing event in Crested Butte, but it is an example. Maybe it would have happened anyway given the extreme nature of the event, who knows. Cred to that guy for being a total badass and still competing in various snow related competitions with a prosthetic leg though. I don't think he ever pointed to the prior mount being an issue, just to clarify..
    I believe what happened was E. J. T-nutted the binding to the ski right thru the base, maybe he wasn't complaining but IMO any time you a drill or hole or especialy if you T-nut holes right thru you are cutting the wood grain which is the structural member of the ski ... in half

so IMO wood dowels, threading wood dowels even instaled with 24hr epoxy will not be as strong, sure a hardwood plug will fill the hole and prevent water from getting in but I think yer kidding yourself if you believe its gona be as strong as before the hole was drilled

get enough holes especialy in the wrong places as in a line across the ski and you have significantly weakened the structure of the ski

Push it hard like an extreme comp, or I have seen a ski break from multiple holes in the wrong place when a 280lb buddy skis moguls with zero finesse

I believe EJ had a lot of personal strife from that situation, I bet if you were to ask him today he wishes he bought a new ski instead
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I believe what happened was E. J. T-nutted the binding to the ski right thru the base, maybe he wasn't complaining but IMO any time you a drill or hole or especialy if you T-nut holes right thru you are cutting the wood grain which is the structural member of the ski ... in half

so IMO wood dowels, threading wood dowels even instaled with 24hr epoxy will not be as strong, sure a hardwood plug will fill the hole and prevent water from getting in but I think yer kidding yourself if you believe its gona be as strong as before the hole was drilled

get enough holes especialy in the wrong places as in a line across the ski and you have significantly weakened the structure of the ski

Push it hard like an extreme comp, or I have seen a ski break from multiple holes in the wrong place when a 280lb buddy skis moguls with zero finesse

I believe EJ had a lot of personal strife from that situation, I bet if you were to ask him today he wishes he bought a new ski instead
    Good clarification on the t-nut thanks. And I have no doubt about the strife, that really sucks for sure.

Just what I remember reading, I think it was medical costs, also you can't drive a standard with only 1 leg, eventualy morphed into some trouble with the law yada fucking yada eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The integrity of the ski is a part of it, but I would argue a bigger reason that multiple mounts significantly reduce the value of a ski is the increasing likelihood of conflicts arising for future mounts. This is a particularly big issue on skis that have a narrow range of mounting locations at which they ski well (i.e. Billy Goat).

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    How much bacon are these worth? Attachment 298380
    At least $60, just for the inserts alone.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The integrity of the ski is a part of it, but I would argue a bigger reason that multiple mounts significantly reduce the value of a ski is the increasing likelihood of conflicts arising for future mounts. This is a particularly big issue on skis that have a narrow range of mounting locations at which they ski well (i.e. Billy Goat).
    This.

Let's open another can of worms and state that on some skis I can feel a 0.5cm difference in mount point... too many holes and maybe I can't get the ski dialed in.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

That's why I collect low stack height demo bindings. Best case scenario is a set of skis with at least one Marker mount. Then I can drill one new hole in each ski and mount pre-2017 demo plates. Tyrolia demos are an okay second option, because the heel plate pattern is the same as the non-demo.

I also look for skis that have multiple mounts of the same binding, because it gives multiple options for getting that binding and using old holes. If that doesn't work out then odds are that I can get the mount I need by adding new holes for only the heels or only the toes.

Multiple mounts of different bindings reduces value the most for me. I have to weigh my need to try all things with the time I am willing to dedicate to the all consuming monkey puzzle of getting exactly the mount I want. Pivot mounts are the hardest to work around, so the stars kind of have to align for me to buy a ski with previous pivot mounts. Even a single mount. But that's what the demos are for.

E.J. Poplawski snapped a ski with a prior mount, granted that was at the 2006 tele extreme freeskiing event in Crested Butte, but it is an example. Maybe it would have happened anyway given the extreme nature of the event, who knows. Cred to that guy for being a total badass and still competing in various snow related competitions with a prosthetic leg though. I don't think he ever pointed to the prior mount being an issue, just to clarify.

I don't worry too much up to 3 mounts if they were done well and the ski is solid. Being unhappy with money you received on a sale is your own fault, so maybe STFU on the whining.

333 skis snap if you just say "hole", so there's that too.
    E.J.'s ski, along with his leg, broke when he ran into a sapling/tree! Hard to say any ski wouldn't have broken.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    E.J.'s ski, along with his leg, broke when he ran into a sapling/tree! Hard to say any ski wouldn't have broken.
    Actually, he hit the tree trying to ski it out on 1 ski after it snapped on landing.

Actually, he hit the tree trying to ski it out on 1 ski after it snapped on landing.
    Ok. That's what I originally thought. Thread from 2006 says otherwise.

Ugh I remember that rehab in one of the powderwhore movies. It was rough

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Ok. That's what I originally thought. Thread from 2006 says otherwise.
    He estimated 35mph when he hit the tree on only 1 ski, crazy!

http://www.ejpoplawski.com/ejpoplawski.com/Home.html

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    That's why I collect low stack height demo bindings. Best case scenario is a set of skis with at least one Marker mount. Then I can drill one new hole in each ski and mount pre-2017 demo plates. Tyrolia demos are an okay second option, because the heel plate pattern is the same as the non-demo.

I also look for skis that have multiple mounts of the same binding, because it gives multiple options for getting that binding and using old holes. If that doesn't work out then odds are that I can get the mount I need by adding new holes for only the heels or only the toes.

Multiple mounts of different bindings reduces value the most for me. I have to weigh my need to try all things with the time I am willing to dedicate to the all consuming monkey puzzle of getting exactly the mount I want. Pivot mounts are the hardest to work around, so the stars kind of have to align for me to buy a ski with previous pivot mounts. Even a single mount. But that's what the demos are for.
    Good points on different binding brands.

I also never had issue with my old marker demos/schizo despite the general disdain for them around here... might go back to those when I'm experimenting with new skis in the future.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Dear I skid on groomers. I don’t care if many holes don’t really matter. I’m paying less the more holes there are

Clearly iriponsnow is NOT all about maximizing profit. He has recent threads offering Wootests for free, brokering ski sales for a charitable cause, and recently agreeing to sell at low-ball prices. His blow-up looks like a classic case of a generous guy who enjoys being generous, but eventually ends up feeling like people have been taking advantage of his generosity, instead of appreciating him. You know...eventually feeling like he gives an inch, and they take a mile.

1) We could hook-up iriponsnow on his next purchase, to even things out for him. And we could show more appreciation for the hookups he dishes out.

2) But let's keep perpetuating the false myth that holes ruin skis. Those of us who know, we can benefit more in the long run off this false myth, this market inefficiency---by being smart enough to save more on the deflated buying price than we lose on the deflated resale price years later when we eventually resell it.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    ...last set of skis went for $24 & upon looking at pair before that; sold for $150 shipped with Warden13’s. By my math Warden13’s we’re worth $75, shipping was over $50 & the ski was $25 minus the shipping supplies, my time & gas to drive to UPS.
    Remember to say "No" sometimes. Might as well NOT hookup people like that unless you're in the right mood to feel good about it. I'm comfy saying honestly to buyers, "I just took a hit on 3 transactions for being too generous, so I need to maximize price on this next item I'm selling."

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    But let's keep perpetuating the false myth that holes ruin skis. Those of us who know, we can benefit more in the long run off this false myth, this market inefficiency---by being smart enough to save more on the deflated buying price than we lose on the deflated resale price years later when we eventually resell it.
    yep...

i'll say too, seems that gear rn compared to this time last year is getting a bit dusty in gs. goats that wouldn't last an hour last year are sittng for days, waiting for a new friend....my gosh

Don't post this on PugSki .