Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crazy McConkey

I would think that jumping those cliffs at Baffen for a first jump would be ok for a first timer and quite frankly I am pretty damn jealous that they got to do that all day long with a helicopter while I was probably stuck playing with myself all day long.

We have a well known base point near here (Kjerag), which is a 3000 feet vertical wall. They have organized trips etc. People get hurt and die here yearly...

When everything goes as planned, I don't think its that hard... But when the parachute opens the wrong way, and it turns into the wall again, and having enough skills to pull it back again, that you wont learn after a few basejumps from high walls.

IMHO, thats why I would think jumping from a bridge would be safer. And then you would jump with the pilot chute in your hand and throw it when you jump, removing one thing you could get wrong.

Just my 0,02$

I wanna do it!!!! get me a high bridge

Edit for speling...

I found some video the other day of some guy jumping off a dam with a helmet cam and he ends up being blown into the wall which collapses his chute enough to accelerate his decent to a scary speed. It still plays after he hits the ground and he is trying to figure out where he is and sounds pretty fucked up. I'll have to look for it and post it here if I find it. Some pre BASE jumping stoke!

Hello Freaks, my ears were burning so I figured I'd check to see what was going on over here. Looks like I achieved the desired effect with that little video. If you guys think it was stupid you should have heard what my wife said! Geez! You'd think she was used to this kind of idiocy by now.
    Yea was gonna call it Sandbagging as a little shout out to those Tahoe bungee jumpers who were doing that back in the early 90s (Brad Holmes) I Also thought about calling it free solo basing as it is similar to what some rock climbers like to do, but I figured freebasing sounded not only accurate but nice and stupid too.
    Here's a little explanation for why I did that:
    In base jumping or skydiving one can do a jump called a Mr. Bill. This is when one guy holds on to the other guy through deployment. Usually it is done high enough to then let go and deploy your own parachute. At Twin Falls just for fun we started landing the Mr. Bill together in the water without one guy letting go. After doing this a whole bunch of times for a couple years we realized that we had a very bomber grip system and absolutely never even came close to slipping off. Throwing up an unpacked parachute reduces opening shock a lot too. The type of unpacked jump that Eric "Rubbs" Roner (yes the same guy ski basing in the TGR films. Solid base jumper) threw for me is called a T.A.R.D. (Totally Awesome Rapid Deployment) Since it is so easy to hold on to someone who is throwing a tard I decided to try it wearing a hidden rock climbing harness with a 3 foot long back up line attached to his leg straps instead of a parachute. If I fell I would have dropped 3 feet before the backup caught me. When that was no problem and still felt exactly the same I went for it without any safety. That was the video you saw. I have only done it once. Most people say is is just plain stupid and I can't really say that I disagree, but it sure is good for a few laughs! However, ya know when you work your way up to something like a gnarly line or a big cliff and you have seen the all the possible scenarios from every angle and then you just simply know for sure that you can do it. You don't really know why or maybe you can't totally explain it but you absolutely know that you can do it cleanly. That's how I felt going into this jump. It wasn't totally reckless. I worked up to it and thought it through in massive detail. Free solo climbing is really dangerous of course but those guys know what they are doing and stay within their safety margin. I felt I was doing the same.
    Yes JT Holmes' first base jump was before he had any skydive experience. This is rare and not recommended. He has since become skilled at both.
    If any of you are interested in any other funny and ridiculous base footage I highly recommend checking out
    http://www.jimmyhalliday.com/
    and order his video called Radix. There's lots of idiocy in there. Very much worth every penny.
    Don't get dead.
    Shane

I, for one, am convinced. Stay alive mang...we need the stoke.
    You look like I need a drink.

Have you done the Jersey Ordnance Nightvision Goggle jump at Twin Falls? That's sick.

Thumbs up

Holy Shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckstable
    Hello Freaks, my ears were burning so I figured I'd check to see what was going on over here. Looks like I achieved the desired effect with that little video.
    Don't get dead.
    Shane

and the rest is history!

God love Saucer Boy!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckstable
    Don't get dead.
    Shane
    I, for one, am very impressed that the Man showed up and explained that little freek show video, Thank You. SM, don't take this the wrong way, but is the difference between a "T.A.R.D." and a "McConkey" the front flip over the chute? Just wondering...

I'll probably never BASE jump, but I have huge respect those that feel like they got it dialed.

For the newbies to BASE jumping, take your time and learn a ton before you try it. It is way scarier in person then it looks on video.

For Steezus, IMO jumping off a cliff face like Baffen or the dam in Switzerland that you mention, are probably a couple of the more dangerous jumps you can do as a newbie, just for the fact that you mentioned in a previous post: as a beginner you may not be able to control the canopy when it opens and you could smack into the face. And yes, on bigger jumps they pack the pilot chute in their pack and pull it just like a regular sky diver. Look at Jeb Corliss' video, "A Year in the Life" if you need more proof. I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but you need to stop spewing about shit you don't know shit about.

For Shane, obviously keep it as safe as you can and keep charging ahead!
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover

to many "what ifs"
    Exactly!!
    He needs to get a hobby? Adrenaline junkie does not even come close. I guess if he wasn’t doing this shit he'd be out robbing banks

MTT

Props to the man for doing it right, trying it first with safety backup, and working his way up to the final freaky jump.

Love the acronym T.A.R.D.!!
    thats a sweet swing and drop motion on the chute - like a life size version of the parachute army men we threw off the roof as kids.

The name Freebasing is perfect.
    Sandbagging sounds a bit too much like teabagging, particularly since you are holding onto another man for your life

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus Christ
    I found some video the other day of some guy jumping off a dam with a helmet cam and he ends up being blown into the wall which collapses his chute enough to accelerate his decent to a scary speed. It still plays after he hits the ground and he is trying to figure out where he is and sounds pretty fucked up. I'll have to look for it and post it here if I find it. Some pre BASE jumping stoke!

Here is the video of which you speak:
    http://media.ebaumsworld.com/badbasejump.wmv

Clearly the guy is in serious pain when he hits the ground..

Quote Originally Posted by pube-in-my-taco
    Here is the video of which you speak:
    http://media.ebaumsworld.com/badbasejump.wmv

Clearly the guy is in serious pain when he hits the ground..
    No, he's a wookiee.

Thanks for the write up Shane.

Commence back peddling of the "he so crazy" crowd.
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

No backpedaling.... he's retarded. (Thank Goodness.)

I wonder if he's got anything planned for SF when he's here for the IceAir comp in a few weeks

doing a repeat performance off the GG bridge would be movie worthy given the backdrop

Quote Originally Posted by sftc
    I'll probably never BASE jump

For the newbies to BASE jumping, take your time and learn a ton before you try it. It is way scarier in person then it looks on video.

For Steezus, IMO jumping off a cliff face like Baffen or the dam in Switzerland that you mention, are probably a couple of the more dangerous jumps you can do as a newbie, just for the fact that you mentioned in a previous post: as a beginner you may not be able to control the canopy when it opens and you could smack into the face. And yes, on bigger jumps they pack the pilot chute in their pack and pull it just like a regular sky diver. Look at Jeb Corliss' video, "A Year in the Life" if you need more proof. I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but you need to stop spewing about shit you don't know shit about.
    This is kind of redundant to say after your post. But you kind of sound like an idiot. You say you have never BASE jumped, then you give your opinions on the sport exactly like I did. I will do it sometime in the future because I think it is pretty fucking awesome, just saying I think you need to learn some canopy control first to make it safer because dying sucks.

I remember being about 16 years old and I wrote some shit about how to safely get into BASE jumping to Ask McConkey back when Freeze was still alive. When it actually got printed I thought I was so fucking cool! And I still am! Thanks Shane!

I've never flown a Learjet, but I'm about to tell you all about what it's like to execute an instrument-only landing in bad weather at a mountain airport.

I know about this stuff. Trust me, I read the Internet.

Actually I know even less about repairing heat tiles on the Space Shuttle, so here goes...

Cold Fusion: Invent.

It's more like me telling you how I think a Helicopter is flown even though I fly 767's. I skydive.

"A little, at first."

I remember being about 16 years old and I wrote some shit about how to safely get into BASE jumping to Ask McConkey back when Freeze was still alive. When it actually got printed I thought I was so fucking cool! And I still am! Thanks Shane!
    Hehe, I remember that letter.

This is kind of redundant to say after your post. But you kind of sound like an idiot. You say you have never BASE jumped, then you give your opinions on the sport exactly like I did. thought I was so fucking cool! And I still am!
    I once wanted to BASE jump, but after watching, in person, literally hundreds of jumps at the Gorge Games and Bridge Day, I decided it wasn't for me. It's a risk that I personally don't think I need to take.
    BUT I have watched up close the best in the game as they prep and jump and I asked questions, so I think I have a decent bit of knowledge about the sport vs. someone like you who doesn't even know how a pilot chute works. I clearly said I'm far from an expert, but you obviously have never even seen a jump in person, so I don't understand where you get off telling people where to jump for the first time....
    "I would think that jumping those cliffs at Baffen for a first jump would be ok for a first timer"
    or how a BASE jumping rig works....
    "they usually stuff the pilot chute somewhere in the rig harness."
    But since you are so fucking cool, I'll step aside and let you tell everyone how it's done.

So anyway, back to the Space Shuttle...

I've watched the video of Space Shuttle landings a couple times, so I KNOW about landing a Space Shuttle. Don't tell me I don't know about Space Shuttle landings, because even though I'm far from an expert, I know more about it than you. Okay? So just stfu already. Thanks.

*squealers normally irritate the shit outta me, but today I'm finding them highly amusing. Odd, that.

You misconstrue my quote about thinking Baffen would be safe for a first timer. I am not saying that is where they HAVE to jump the first time. I am saying that would seem DOABLE for a first timer, and hella fun. And I was only trying to give pube a general description of how I thought it was done with the pretense that I have never done it. Also I have actually been to that bridge in Idaho and watched some jumps while on my way back to Utah from Washington. I have no idea why I thought they hold the chute in their hand, for sure a retarded proclamation, but sitting cross eyed at work bored out of my mind tends cloud my thinking.

That's funny you remember that Mulletizer. I lost that issue of Freeze and I really wish I didn't.