Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crazy McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by pube-in-my-taco
    The chute was unpacked from the jump - he just threw it in front of him while jumping off - my guess was to minimize chute impact.
    That adds a whole new set of "what-ifs" to the equation.. what-ifs that endanger both of em..
    The bridge to water (depending on water level that year) is only about 500-550 feet as I recall. I'm not googling it. He has to throw chute as he jumps if he wants to open in time.

Edit: Wrong, this says only 486 feet: http://www.baseclimb.com/Diary/Perrine_Bridge.htm

And in that page there is the boat we went out on to drink and what not. River Tours. They pick Shane and friend out of the water a lot said the driver.
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 08-03-2005 at 09:34 AM.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

How much elevation do you need to open the chute traditionally?

How often do people throw chutes on shorter jumps?
    Is it as dangerous as it looks?

looks like pink eraser pals 2 me

Quote Originally Posted by pube-in-my-taco
    How much elevation do you need to open the chute traditionally?

How often do people throw chutes on shorter jumps?
    Is it as dangerous as it looks?
    I've never done it, I just know you have to have a shit load of skydives to learn how to control your chute in the more contained areas of a base jump. They also always hold the pilot chute in their hand during base jumps then throw it out to deploy the chute unlike pulling the cord for a skydive. I have read that statistically, base jumping is dangerous because people smack into the cliff they jump off of quite often or land on sketchy terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal
    rerun but I still love the music

whats the song name?
    The song is Bran's Freestyle from CKY2K.

Pretty funny movie if you have never seen it.
    Recently overheard: "Hey Ralph, what were you drinking that time that you set your face on fire?"

I'll have to agree that's not a sane thing to do, but if any whack job can do it,it's Shane.
    Calmer than you dude

I see an attempt at a double-stage closeout line coming. BASE off one massive drop, let go of the first parachutist above another, then BASE off that as well. This assumes you can find two such cliffs with the right proximity to one another.

See, I'm progressing the sport while sitting in my office! What did YOU do today? Oh, nothing, just became the raddest BASEFreeskier in the world, that's all.

I bet he had the runs from the any water ingested in that section of the Snake, it is flat out nasty, espspecially with the temps lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas
    I see an attempt at a double-stage closeout line coming. BASE off one massive drop, let go of the first parachutist above another, then BASE off that as well. This assumes you can find two such cliffs with the right proximity to one another.
    Didn't they actually do that for a James Bond movie or something. I am pretty sure I have seen an unedited video of a two stage skiBASE from over 10 years ago.

At least he had a helmet on...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    I remember seeing some French bungee jumpers on a bridge in the Alps pulling a similarly mad move in the early nineties. They'd removed a section of railings from the sidewalk and one guy was standing on the edge with no chute or bungee, facing the road. The other guy was attached to a bungee with a chest harness and would run at him and as they went off the bridge would grab him. The weight of the pair of them would then extend the bungee and the unattached bloke would be dropped from a height of about 20ft into the river below.

Once his weight had been dispensed with, bungee man would then be catapulted back up the other side of the bridge, sailing about 40-50ft into the air. It all looked rather sketchy to me, but that's the French for you...
    Yeah. Sandbagging. Saw some Tahoe guys do it many years ago.
    Last edited by Booger; 08-03-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot
    why does he bother wearing a helmet??

Cause Red Bull pays good money for that!

This reminded me of a tragic accident about 8-9 years ago, when a very good friend of the family was "test jumping" his bungee with out being harnessed in.
    The plan was for Greg Campbell to jump off hanging on with only his arms, let go at the bottom for a nifty low impact release in to the river. Well the weights that were attached to the cord for some sort of ballast, collided with his head on release, and knocked him out before splash down. Thus GC drowned. RIP Dude!
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 08-03-2005 at 05:33 PM.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus Christ
    Didn't they actually do that for a James Bond movie or something. I am pretty sure I have seen an unedited video of a two stage skiBASE from over 10 years ago.
    Sort of. It was a Mountain Dew ad. Rob Harris (the stuntman) died filming the ad.
    Here's the story, plus rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo
    Sort of. It was a Mountain Dew ad. Rob Harris (the stuntman) died filming the ad.
    Here's the story, plus rumors
    I remember what I was remembering. Some stupid ass show called Extreme or something ran a few pilots about 8-10 years ago and it showed some dude ski off a cliff and pull his chute, cut it, then ski off another cliff and pulling his chute. It was such a gay and corny show and they filmed a lot of it in Utawl.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    It definately cannot be considered a tradgedy when shane dies in the next few years....he is doing to many crazy things...
    definitely, tragedy, too. Come on, keep trying, don't give up or you'll never get through elementary school.

And it will most definately be a tradgedy, to!!! No question McConkey is certifiable but he is a uniquely ass-kicking, inspiring mofo and we need him around to show us all the twisted possibilities in the world. Look at it this way: just think of the stuff he's thought of but HASN'T tried!
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    Jumping off that bridge is fun and as far as BASE jumping goes, it has to be the most user friendly place to do it. I got to jump a few months ago. I have always wanted to BASE jump, but since I have never even skydived, I figured it was one of those things I would never actually get to do. But when opportunity knocks, you have to go for it.

I've never done it, I just know you have to have a shit load of skydives to learn how to control your chute in the more contained areas of a base jump. They also always hold the pilot chute in their hand during base jumps then throw it out to deploy the chute unlike pulling the cord for a skydive.
    No and no.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Xdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletori
    Shane's new stunt. (Freebasing... )

Check this out!!!

Tandem base jump, but not attached to each other....
    That was just ill.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    No and no.

Are you kidding me? You think you can just control your chute after one skydive? And exactly how do they deploy their pilot chute if they dont hold it in their hands unless they are on some monstrosity like the Baffen Island segment in Ski Movie 2?

I've never seen them holding chutes in any ski basing that I've seen in movies. Also, I remember hearing that JT Holmes' first experience was with base jumping and not sky diving.

I could be wrong on both counts... I tend to ignore or skip the parts of the movies that it's on.

Give me a break. Tanner wouldn't even need the chute.

Are you kidding me? You think you can just control your chute after one skydive? And exactly how do they deploy their pilot chute if they dont hold it in their hands unless they are on some monstrosity like the Baffen Island segment in Ski Movie 2?
    according to my calculations there are at least two maggots who have BASE jumped having never skydived, and as you note, larger jumps don't require the chute-in-hand bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange
    Give me a break. Tanner wouldn't even need the chute.
    yeah, but then he'd break his anles or heels or something...

Aye, you are right, they usually stuff the pilot chute somewhere in the rig harness. And yeah I did hear that about JT, and then he was trying to talk my friend into getting into base jumping the same way which no offense JT, seems kind of stupid to me unless you are strickly jumping off of that bridge in Idaho where the landing is safe and plentiful. But I have always heard from people who base jump that it generally takes a couple hundred skydives before they would recommend someone start base jumping so they can get canopy control, which IS harder than it looks.
    Last edited by Steezus Christ; 08-03-2005 at 08:04 PM.

indeed. i would want to skydive a bunch before i ever did it, but there is no BASE jumping regulatory body and there is a bit of a trend towards less skydiving for new BASErs. whether it is good or bad is another story. and i think on the big jumps they have a standard parachute set up. they fall for a long time.