New & improved Canecreek angleset

So local shops and everyone I know gave up on those mega creaky anglesets. But yesterday my LBS mentioned that they’ve been installing the new version this summer and have had zero issues. They said something about a surface coating that was added.

A brief Google fu yielded no info about what was changed.

Any info or 2019 experiences to report?

Hmm had time to phone cane creek, who said the product hasn’t changed.

I've had much better luck with Works Components angle adjust headsets, FWIW.

Given that even their normal headsets creak like crazy after 6 months, I wouldn't hold my breath. When I've emailed a couple frame companies about using anglesets with their frame, they both recommended Works over CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Given that even their normal headsets creak like crazy after 6 months
    I was going to defend regular CC headsets as dead reliable, but then I realized that in the past couple months I’ve taken two of them apart to clean and regrease due to creaking. Never given it much thought cause it only has to be done like once a season and they’re cheap and have been bombproof otherwise.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Works is such a great product. Pick your angle install and "forget about it"

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I’ve been very familiar with Works non gimbal solution since it came out years ago. This was a cane creek Angleset question.

Cane Creek OEM level stuff ie: the 40 headset is crap IMO. NEver last a season without sounding and feeling worse than my knees. The 110 series is way better. Not King quality but reliable and will last at least several seasons. No experience with the angle sets but I'd be hesitant based on the quality range of their products. Everything King makes is top notch, I imagine Works components is similar.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Works is such a great product. Pick your angle install and "forget about it"

Until you go for a gritty rain ride and then forget to move your bike from the non heated garage into the heated house to dry, and find the very-difficult-to-source-due-to-unique-size-in-the-US-but-not-the-UK top bearing cartridge to be completely seized.
    Don’t ask me how I know

But yeah other than that, install and forget about it.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I’ve been very familiar with Works non gimbal solution since it came out years ago. This was a cane creek Angleset question.
    Ah 10-4. I guess i only commented becauseci wouldnt consider CC. I guess they do have some new lifetime bearing so maybe theyre worth it now, or maybe thats just for bb's
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Until you go for a gritty rain ride and then forget to move your bike from the non heated garage into the heated house to dry, and find the very-difficult-to-source-due-to-unique-size-in-the-US-but-not-the-UK top bearing cartridge to be completely seized.
    Don’t ask me how I know

But yeah other than that, install and forget about it.
    Strange, ive heard nothing but good. A number of friends ive recommended them to have good luck with them. Maybe they havent used your ceasing method
    Can you pop the bearing seal off with an exacto knife and clean and regrease it? Those guys would probably send you a bearing. Theyre nort super quick but they seem very cool to deal with. Botched one of my buddies order so tgey semt him some swag as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Cane Creek OEM level stuff ie: the 40 headset is crap IMO. NEver last a season without sounding and feeling worse than my knees. The 110 series is way better. Not King quality but reliable and will last at least several seasons. No experience with the angle sets but I'd be hesitant based on the quality range of their products. Everything King makes is top notch, I imagine Works components is similar.
    My understanding is that the 40 series cups are exactly the same as the 110 series; the difference is the stainless bearings they put in the 110 stuff. Which you can buy aftermarket for a lot less than upgrading headsets.

That said, for the last several bike builds I had my independent adult professional mechanic face and install my headset cups for me. Mostly 40 series, but 1 or 2 110 series. I have had a grand total of zero creaks. My headsets sometimes loosen up, but no creaks in years. Very occasionally change out bearings and almost every time I pull a fork, the bearings seem comically smooth. This is in Enduro and DH bikes that routinely get hosed down after riding through peanut butter muc. I commonly find a septic tank of muc in my bottom bracket shells when I investigate. And I go through lots of BB bearings. And I seize up suspension linkage bearings. But my headsets seem fine. Not sure what everyone else is doing to their headsets.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I had CC 40s on both my Mojo HDR and Nomad 3. I live in NorCal, so we probably get as much rain all winter as anyone in the NW or east coast get in 2 weeks. I had to replace both 40 bearings on the HDR once after the first winter. I got rid of the bike before I took it through a second winter. I replaced the lower 40 bearing about 3 months after getting the Nomad 3 (used 2 years old), with a 110 bearing. Within half a year, I had to replace the upper bearing as well. When one of my friend's CC40 lower bearing died after 1 year, I suggested he try a 110, which also died after 1 year. We both wash our bikes roughly every month (summer) or every other ride (winter) with a wide cone (not jet) spray and soap.

Conversely, I am still running the original Race Face bottom bracket bearings from that Nomad from 2014, which do not have a great reputation. The drive side one is just starting to feel a tiny bit gritty. So that's my benchmark on how long a cheap, disposable bearing should last.

Interesting. The lower bearing died on my 40 in less than one season. Shopping for a replacement now. Sounds like the 110 may not be worth the upgrade?