Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Banning of the Drive Thru. It's a thing.

First I've heard of this:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cities-...bon-emissions/

Proponents claim decreasing drive-thru windows will help combat obesity, improve walkability and push back on pollution.

"Cities ban new drive-thrus to fight climate change"

"Proponents claim decreasing drive-thru windows will help combat obesity, improve walkability and push back on pollution."

I don't really care why they're doing it, but I support this ban. Mostly b/c I hate that people are so lazy they'd rather wait 10 minutes in a car line than get out of their car and that same cup of coffee in under 5.

Thoughts?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I mostly support it. However I did have an experience in CA when my kid was 2.5 and sound asleep in the car. I needed cash from an ATM for the babysitter and there were zero drive through. I had to wake her up, get her out, carry her, put her back, etc. It screwed up her sleep which of course screwed up our day. Of course we were there for a wedding, so things were fuct already. I ended up doing the liquor shopping with her asleep in one arm/shoulder and pushing a shopping cart full of booze. Some idiots just had to make comments. Fortunately she was a small kid at that age. I would have loved a drive through liquor store at that moment. 1st world problem.

Delivery and ordering ahead apps make it a non issue.

Yup, the folks who are really inconvenienced are the grubhub drivers...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Also, there will be some pushback from mobility impaired folks. I can see a tech solution for that though.

First they ban drive through liquor stores. Now this.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    First I've heard of this:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cities-...bon-emissions/

Proponents claim decreasing drive-thru windows will help combat obesity, improve walkability and push back on pollution.

"Cities ban new drive-thrus to fight climate change"

"Proponents claim decreasing drive-thru windows will help combat obesity, improve walkability and push back on pollution."

I don't really care why they're doing it, but I support this ban. Mostly b/c I hate that people are so lazy they'd rather wait 10 minutes in a car line than get out of their car and that same cup of coffee in under 5.

Thoughts?
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Also, have you noticed that you get less attention when you show up inside? Management obviously instructs staff to reward laziness and penalize people willing to get off their was.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Also, have you noticed that you get less attention when you show up inside? Management obviously instructs staff to reward laziness and penalize people willing to get off their was.
    Yes I have. I can walk in and order my cup of coffee with no one in line...then watch them fill drive thru orders as I stand there.

...and yes, if you walk in and order, you should be first to get your order.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Doesn't bother me except for the kid thing mentioned upthread. Occasionally drive through is nice for that reason. Otherwise, don't really give a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Would the drive thru stage a comeback when cars are electric and have no emissions?
    I think most of the business would simply get pushed to order ahead apps and curbside pick up. Which is necessary for older folks and mobility impaired people regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They always fuck you at the drive-thru.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    They always fuck you at the drive-thru.
    Drive thru brothel, for when you need a quickie.

I seldom go to fast food restaurants, as I prefer to have an orderly dinner on a proper table with waitstaff and linen tablecloths, but you say some people of low culinary standards will drive up to a window, receive food and eat in their vehicle? Have you heathens ever tried to get the hamburger smell out of a Bentley?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Slight thread drift, but it reminds me of this classic John Mulaney bit

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Yup, the folks who are really inconvenienced are the grubhub drivers...
    Holy fuck I go stuck behind one of them in the drive thru last week. Seemed to take forever at the order speaker.. then when they got to the first pay window they were shuttling cash in and receipts out for like 8 god damned orders... Then up at the food window 8 bags shuved out to the car.. sat there for several minutes then two bags pushed back in the window, guess they screwed up those two.. Holy shit!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Holy fuck I go stuck behind one of them in the drive thru last week. Seemed to take forever at the order speaker.. then when they got to the first pay window they were shuttling cash in and receipts out for like 8 god damned orders... Then up at the food window 8 bags shuved out to the car.. sat there for several minutes then two bags pushed back in the window, guess they screwed up those two.. Holy shit!
    And some people thought legalizing weed would have no adverse repercussions...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I seldom go to fast food restaurants, as I prefer to have an orderly dinner on a proper table with waitstaff and linen tablecloths, but you say some people of low culinary standards will drive up to a window, receive food and eat in their vehicle? Have you heathens ever tried to get the hamburger smell out of a Bentley?
    The 2007 AMG E55 came with hamburger smell.
    I still call it The Jake.

Huh, I thought that was Stuttgart.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The 2007 AMG E55 came with hamburger smell.
    https://www.motortrendondemand.com/s...lers/84667301/
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Drive thru brothel, for when you need a quickie.
    Would you like fries with your order, Sir?

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Would the drive thru stage a comeback when cars are electric and have no emissions?
    I think most of the business would simply get pushed to order ahead apps and curbside pick up. Which is necessary for older folks and mobility impaired people regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or when there's more cars out there that auto-shut off their engine while idling. Government should time all stoplights first before nitpicking on the drive-thrus.

I don’t see a custom AMG shift knob. Must be fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Would you like fries with your order, Sir?

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    That’s Blurred’s line.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Oh shit, that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Oh shit, that's funny.
    I'm not sure who was more high, the grub hub customers or the grub hub driver who took forever to get the orders sorted out and paid for with separate receipts.. or the kids working at McDonald's...