Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking to buy skis by asking advice from strangers on the internet?

Here's a tip.

We have an endless stream of "What ski for me?" threads from dudes looking to buy skis without trying them out first. I get the not demoing thing because it's a bit of a hassle and demo fleets don't have 185+ sizes if you're into longer skis. But there are some shitty skis out there, skis that the magazines are giving high ratings to. And I'm not talking just 333's, but the major mfgrs. Figure out what you like in a ski, camber/no camber, metal/no metal, etc. and then narrow it down to 4-5 pairs and go demo them. If you've been skiing for at least a few years you know what you like in a ski.

If you just gotta buy indie skis to hang with your brahs, then it's pot luck because you can't demo most of them. Just buy ones with a cool topsheet so if they suck you can at least look at them on the lift. If you tire of the topsheets you can always sell them in Gear Swap.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

But... what skis for me?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Have some soup
    You seem tired

Here's another tip - always look both ways at an intersection.

The jongs looking should drop 10-15 cm from their dream length as well.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    But... what skis for me?
    For you? Soul 7!

For everyone else: Soul 7
    U.P.: up

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Have some soup
    You seem tired
    I shall call my new soup creation...Soup 7.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Here's another tip - always look both ways at an intersection.
    This is good advice as well.

Just to be argumentive... There are far fewer shitty skis out there than there used to be. Most are really pretty good these days.

Lots of people looking for new skis have only skied older shapes and likely only a single pair some shop dude wanted to move of the floor in 2009.

So, they're lost and looking for guidance from people who have more experience than their Jong buddies.

I agree with "Figure out what you like in a ski, camber/no camber, metal/no metal, etc. and then narrow it down to 4-5 pairs and go demo them." But I'm not sure these guys have enough experience to narrow anything down. We aren't much help either. They need to demo a good variety of ski types and then narrow from there. Our advice might be helpful at that point. Most won't bother and end up with something better or just different than what they have more but not anything great.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Here's a tip.

We have an endless stream of "What ski for me?" threads from dudes looking to buy skis without trying them out first. I get the not demoing thing because it's a bit of a hassle and demo fleets don't have 185+ sizes if you're into longer skis. But there are some shitty skis out there, skis that the magazines are giving high ratings to. And I'm not talking just 333's, but the major mfgrs. Figure out what you like in a ski, camber/no camber, metal/no metal, etc. and then narrow it down to 4-5 pairs and go demo them. If you've been skiing for at least a few years you know what you like in a ski.

If you just gotta buy indie skis to hang with your brahs, then it's pot luck because you can't demo most of them. Just buy ones with a cool topsheet so if they suck you can at least look at them on the lift. If you tire of the topsheets you can always sell them in Gear Swap.
    C'mon....it's not that hard to type "red ones" all the time.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Praxis RX

Praxis RX

I have no idea where you ski/ what the conditions are like/ how you ski/ what other skis you own so that question alone is missing a whole bunch of reference so the end loser needs to narrow down ANY product question
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Praxis RX
    What topsheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Just to be argumentive... There are far fewer shitty skis out there than there used to be. Most are really pretty good these days.
    Mfgrs have regressed in the past couple years. The latest fascination with lightweight skis and low swing weights for resort skis has lowered the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have no idea where you ski/ what the conditions are like/ how you ski/ what other skis you own so that question alone is missing a whole bunch of reference so the end loser needs to narrow down ANY product question
    I ski steeps, moguls, trees in all conditions, set my DINs at 14 and would like a lightweight ski that tours well, but one I can also use in the park on low tide days.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    C'mon....it's not that hard to type "red ones" all the time.
    That's boots.

But... what skis for me?
    For you, blue.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    For you, blue.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That's boots.
    That's EVERYTHING! Boots, skis, poles, bikes, cars, boats...EVERYTHING!!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Communist.

But... what skis for me?
    223 RD Coyotes

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

I would love to demo a race ski, but, nobody demos race skis. And they're really expensive.

We should have a sticky that says "before your Jong ass asks what ski, read this"
    Or continue with soul 7 and the red ones NTTATWWT

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    For you, blue.

Boots first!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Glossary of terms:
    -Weight is x (That's my fighting weight, I'm actually a sloppy 200.)
    -Ski 25 -30 days a year (ski 10 days a year, mostly spent in the bar)
    -Advanced/Expert skier (skids on groomers, can't find the front of boots if life depended on it)
    -Want a ski for steeps and trees (skied a black diamond a whistler once, got within 15 feet of the edge of corbetts)
    -Looking for a ski quick in the bumps (I have no idea how to ski bumps but am hoping a ski will buy me a turn)
    -Want good crud busting ability (I ski in the back seat and am hoping this ski won't make my legs so tired when the snow gets heavy)
    -I want a ski with good float in powder (I have no balance, can I buy a turn?)
    -Also I want a ski I can take touring (I've never been outside the ropeline but Ski Magazine sez that's the hot new thing. )
    -List of Top 10 Ski Magazine picks (I live in New Jersey and go out west once a year)
    -List of Top 10 Blister skis (I moved from New Jersey to Denver and talk a lot about skiing. Also I struggle to decide small personal decisions in my life like cooking breakfast, and need to read a 4 page explanation about it before I commit.)
    -List of Top 10 Powder Mag skis (I moved from California to Seattle and am excited to stand in line at Crystal this winter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Glossary or terms :

-Advanced/Expert skier (skids on groomers, can't find the front of boots if life depended on it)

-Ski style is fast and aggressive, like big turns (due to aforementioned backseat stylie.. can not control speed on advanced terrain, need ski runs that end in mellow runouts, cuz I'm coming in hot!)
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I would love to demo a race ski, but, nobody demos race skis. And they're really expensive.
    Shops usually don't but if you ever see a Rossignol or Volkl demo tent, ask. They might have some in the truck and not in the rack. I see the cheater versions at demo days.

Speaking of and I realize this isn't Pugski, but I got in a few runs on the Rossi Hero ST last year, a dumbed down slalom ski that some reviews were raving about for hardpack. I've skied on numerous slalom and cheater versions, but I had to be honest with the rep, it was the worst ski I skied on all day from any manufacturer. Now if I'd have gone by online and magazine reviews...